Forums Latest Members

Anyone else not a fan of display backs?

1. Engee Nov 1, 2020

Often I see a watch and think it’s attractive, and then I see a picture of the back and it has a viewing window and suddenly I don’t like it anymore.

For me there’s something crude about it. It’s too revealing. Like a mankini. I love the mechanics of watches, but somehow they should be left alone to get on with their job in privacy. A watch movement is not a creature in a zoo, there to be gawped at.

I don’t want to look at the movement working. I know it’s working because the watch is telling me the time. I don’t need the manufacturer to prove to me I have a mechanical watch by allowing me to see it being all mechanical.

It’s the same with those dreadful cars where half the bonnet (hood) is removed so you can see the rubber and chromium plated pipes. Put them away. Nobody’s interested in your flashy, noisy, gas guzzler.

The first time I saw a Railmaster Co-axial with a display back I was so disappointed. I thought Omega had more class than to do that.

Know what I mean?

2. JwRosenthal Nov 1, 2020

Same- can’t stand them. It will turn me off of a watch quickly. There have been watches I have shopped that had a display back “upgrade” during the run and I have hunted down the older model specifically because it had a solid back.

mydeafcat, jacgul and blufinz52 like this.
  3. Andreas Nov 1, 2020

it all depends... some its a shame to watch and some are a shame not to

new-seiko-5-caseback-575.jpg 06-Lange-Sohne-Datograph-Up-Down-Jacques-Olivier.jpeg
    gostang9, Archer, rcs914 and 13 others like this.
  4. befobe Nov 1, 2020

Waouh, this L&S caliber is awesome!

Pazzo likes this.
  5. SkunkPrince Nov 1, 2020

I wouldn't spend extra for one, wouldn't stop me from buying a watch I like.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 1, 2020

Take it your not buying a Snoopy then :whistling:

Engee likes this.
  7. Scooterino36 Nov 1, 2020

Certainly not a requirement for me, but I enjoy having one in my collection (SM300 MC).

Mycroft likes this.
  8. gbesq Nov 1, 2020

Depends on the watch. I don’t care for them on tool or sports watches, but the movement on my JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon with its pink gold “JL” rotor is a work of art.
    00E29867-5EF5-4479-A670-903EC3F1101F.jpeg

Edited Nov 1, 2020
    John7boy, apsm100, Larry S and 4 others like this.
  9. TechFounder Nov 1, 2020

I'm the opposite. I want to have it so that I can easily tell if the watch is fake.

10. Lurk41 Nov 1, 2020

Given how good replicas are becoming, especially regarding the movement... I doubt it will be easy to tell anymore.

I do not mind a display back if the watch comes like this from the factory. Most of the time it is not really interesting, hopefully, it is not visible when wearing it. Skeleton watches on the other hand... Now that is usually ugly.

"upgraded" is a no go too. People are asking more money for it while it is something I do not want.

11. It's Hedley Nov 1, 2020

Nope, don't know what you mean and I couldn't disagree more. I love the display to the movement. Saying Omega lacks class because they put a display back on a watch is really a stretch. Seriously, what does class have to do with it?

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 1, 2020

I've got a couple because that is the only way that particular watch came. I never sit there looking at the movement. My first Omega (a PO) has a display back, and when I bought it I thought is was kind of cool, but that only lasted a day or so. I grab a watch, wind it (for the manuals) and strap it on without pausing to admire the movement.

13. Om3ga321 Nov 1, 2020

I love display backs.
    Seeing the movement adds another point of interest.

richiv, StudebakerHawk and Jonnys3rd like this.
  14. Marsimaxam Nov 1, 2020

Not really a fan of display backs, although I do have a few watches, three, that display the movement. Maybe if you don't have a second hand and aren't willing to wait a minute or two to find out if your timepiece is working... not a bad idea. Of the three I own, one has an alternative solid case back. Not a fan, but not a hater.
    IMG_6992low.jpg s-l640.jpg unnamed.jpg

DaveK, bigsom and Scooterino36 like this.
  15. TechFounder Nov 1, 2020

Only plain movements like Rolex. Most of others, not so much as it takes as much effort and cost to produce them that people might as well buy the original.

16. Pazzo Nov 1, 2020

Not really since the watch is usually on your wrist and you're not forced to look at the movement.
    Of course, it also depends what movement is inside.

17. Walrus Nov 1, 2020

I have a few display backs. One thing I noticed is people who aren’t into watches seem to appreciate them quite a bit. I have a seiko I got on an amazon sale for 65 us. It’s nothing special but on a few occasions it caught a few peoples eyes and they asked me about it. Being that’s it’s inexpensive I don’t mind handing it over if they want to take a look. They are always amazed at seeing the movement. I tell them the little I know about it’s function.

anyway it’s certainly not necessary and who wants to hand around an expensive watch but they certainly can be cool image.jpg

Edited Nov 1, 2020
    DaveK, Molko, queriver and 3 others like this.
  18. TDBK Nov 1, 2020

Seems to me that if you're collecting watches, the movement is part of why, including aesthetic details like finishing. It's not unreasonable to take some pleasure and involvement in that by actually seeing the mechanism you value.

Saying a display case isn't worthwhile because it doesn't have functional value is the slippery slope to cheap quartz watches being the "best", and nobody wants that.

I have a few display backs but don't care that much about them. But I also wouldn't spend more for a watch with a beautifully finished movement without a window to admire it through
    IMG_20200804_090645.jpg .

rjdemarco, apsm100, Bauhaus and 7 others like this.
  19. bigsom Nov 1, 2020

Imagine being a young or new collector. Imagine buying a seiko 5 after saving up for it and being so excited to see the mechanical parts with the see through case back. You watch the balance wheel and rotor turn and it just looks so cool to you.

Then some asshole comes by and tells you, "that's a shit movement, what a shame to display it"

I really am disappointed in people more and more every day. Just because a Lange movement is gorgeous and a joy to look at for people with the means to see it, doesn't mean that someone else can't enjoy looking at their entry level watch movement. Gatekeeping at its worst.

The reason to like or dislike a see through caseback can be design related, functionality loss, etc. To say that a watch with a simple movement which is targeted towards a person who is buying a watch at a lower price point shouldn't have its movement displayed because it's not a "luxury item" is asinine.

20. RonJ Nov 1, 2020

I like both types of watches, but doesn’t the solid metal cover under the caseback of a Speedy provide some of the extra antimagnetic protection of the watch?

Has NASA ever certified a clear display caseback watch for space missions?

Few of us will travel in space, but thought I’d ask the question.

Edited Nov 1, 2020
    lexieb007 likes this.