Forums Latest Members

Anyone else collect knives?

1. Tubber Oct 29, 2017

I don't collect them but, like watches, they seem to accumulate.
    OF1.jpg

OF2.jpg

OF3.jpg

The one I use at work a ZT 0200. ZT. Zero Tolerance, could have picked a better name, make excellent knives. A percentage of all sales also goes to a Veterans charity. I am not American but anything that goes to Veterans anywhere can't be a bad thing.
    Top left in the first photo is a Spyderco Manix 2 XL. Sal Glesser that owns the company is a true Gent and they make top-notch knives. The sharpener at the bottom is a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, it's worth buying just for the instructional DVD that comes with it.

Jwit and STANDY like this.
  2. Waltesefalcon Oct 31, 2017

I don't really collect knives but I do have a few. I have several Case pocket knives and my dad's old Gerber MkII.

3. Ranger230 Oct 31, 2017

One of my EDC’s I received from a friend.
    969C2684-A5B0-4F67-9485-A428A87DFAC0.jpeg

mistexbs, Jwit, watch3s and 1 other person like this.
  4. Skyjack Jan 6, 2018

up with my Sinn&Spyderco EDC duo:

IMG_3446.JPG
    STANDY likes this.
  5. Professor Jan 6, 2018

Don't exactly collect knives but I've accumulated several boxes full over the years. The best ones are ones I've found. I have two Shrade Walden Stockmans folders and a huge Shrade Bearpaw all found either at the local athletic field/jogging track or in the case of the bear paw in the gutter next to the softball field. I've a dozen or so assorted pocket knives found at a street corner near here. The corner is one where thousands of workers from the industrial parks make a sharp turn when going to work. People who drive older cars often end up leaving a pocket knife under the hood when scrapping battery posts on winter mornings trying to get the car started and in a rush to get to work. The pocket knife then falls out when they make that sharp turn. These usually show some evidence of battery acid on the blade.

I have another small box of pocket knives I've found around the old homestead in nooks and crannies of furniture. The best being a "German Eye" large stockman folder with engraved and signed blade. I believe it belonged to a deceased uncle who visited now and then before he passed away.
    Theres a John Primble small pocket knife just a bit larger than a pen knife. I'm sure that one belonged to Dad.
    Neither has ever been sharpened, the factory edge still sharp and in great condition.

Theres maybe a dozen or so lesser brands in the box.

I did make a dagger of my own design years ago out of a chainsaw bar. It turned out quite well. I'll try to add a image of it soon. I made an image of it years ago simply by laying it on my scanner, but both the scanner I had at the time and the PC are long scrapped.

6. Gefa Jan 6, 2018

One of my favorite knives with one of my favorite watches ✌️:):)

20180106_194724.jpg 20180106_194744.jpg 20180106_194754.jpg
    Travelller likes this.
  7. Professor Jan 9, 2018

Here is the home made dagger I Scan_20180109 (2).png mentioned earlier. The watch is just there to balance out the composition.

The blade is cut from a very old chainsaw bar, very tough and springy steel. Not stainless the bar was very deeply rusted so the blade is thinner than I'd like it to be. The hilt and pommel are of a tough aluminum alloy cut from a carburetor adapter plate. Full tang and with recessed nut The sheath has a spring belt clip on the back, taken from a large tape measure.

Takes a razor edge, not sure how well it would keep it but the steel is at least as hard as the average pocket knife blade and harder than a WW2 bayonet blade.

8. DG GW Jan 9, 2018

Here are a few Omega related knives. Omega_Knives.jpg

McKnife, mistexbs and cicindela like this.
  9. Philip Loftus Jan 9, 2018

Eero Kovanen custom puuko with birchbark sheath. Steel is silversteel and handle curly birch. 20180110_120352-1.jpg

Tatu and NOTSHARP like this.
  10. Starman71 Jan 10, 2018

11. Philip Loftus Jan 10, 2018

In polish?
    Let's see some pics of the keshki etc.

pdxleaf likes this.
  12. Philip Loftus Jan 10, 2018

Why no blade pics? Or closeups of the furniture?

McKnife likes this.
  13. NOTSHARP Jan 10, 2018

SM 122 g.jpg SM 114 a.jpg NAFOK 001.jpg CIMG0018.JPG SGIANDUBH14.jpg Like many here, I own a fair few knives, some of which I have put together. Most are users, but not all.

The one with the Sambar stag antler handle, I have had made for my grandson. The wee man is only four, so he may have to wait a few more years before he gets it.:D

Steve.

Professor, X350 XJR and Philip Loftus like this.
  14. GordonL Jan 10, 2018

Always interesting to see all these knives and wondered about the laws in different countries. Here in Scotland, it is illegal to carry any kniife in public which has a blade more than ~3 inches long. Unless you have a VERY good reason, it's an automatic jail sentence (minimum 1 year I think).

Ok if you're out camping in the middle of nowhere and have an obvious "camping" knive you'll probably stay out of jail but you'd still have to go through the court system and have THEM decide that it was legitimate.

So what are the knife laws like in different countries?

15. Professor Jan 10, 2018

"Here in Scotland, it is illegal to carry any kniife in public which has a blade more than ~3 inches long. Unless you have a VERY good reason,"
    Many cities in the USA have similar laws.
    In Roman times civilians were limited to carrying a knife with a non pointed blade no more than 3 inches long. This resulted in the first folding knives, Folded only 3 inches of blade showed, opened more than 5 inches of blade was exposed.
    Aboard ships even today sailors can be limited to carrying blades with the point ground off.

The 3 inch rule was based on Julius Caesar's notes on the depth of wounds. He stated a stab wound of 3 1/2" was almost always fatal in combat conditions. His instructions were to limit your sword thrust to that level of penetration so you could withdraw the blade quickly.

Philip Loftus likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 10, 2018

More crocodiles than people in Northern Australia. Not much of a issue. Common sense rules.
    Carry one daily for/at work no size limit

(About the only place where many could say "that's not a knife TO crocodile Dundee" ;))

17. GordonL Jan 10, 2018

That is very interesting - thanks!

18. SmokyT Jan 10, 2018

Very nice Juyo Token level collection. The saya-gaki on the shirasaya are also very nice.

19. rcs914 Jan 11, 2018

The DVD is available on Youtube:

20. Felice79 Jan 11, 2018

This guy is so likable and friendly, i just ordered a sharp maker right away on Amazon.....:)