Anyone else collect knives?

Posts
5,320
Likes
54,138
Spent a couple of days going down the rabbit hole of folder locking systems as I have been looking at buying a cheap folder of AliExpress.
In the end I decided I would go for a button lock only to find that none were cheap and that Chinese sellers were running scared of patent/ copyright infringement.
I had bought a cheap and cheerful lockless folder but these sought of knives scare me so I might look at modifying it to a button lock, though I guess a liner lock would be the easier path. Compared to a couple of years ago knives out of China have reduced markedly in variety and pricing for anything half decent has risen steeply. In the past I got some absolutely well made and appointed knives for between 10 and 20 dollars, anything half decent is now 70 to 80 bucks, times have changed.
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
Latest job for a friend. Kydex sheaths.
I make them for knives I make but happy to make for others.


He wanted to be able to throw a knife in a hiking bag. Also for his caravan and camping trips.
 
Posts
272
Likes
442
I really like this one for EDC
Spyderco para 3 LW

It does not let me add any photos..
Forum does not accept heic files?
Edited:
 
Posts
6,480
Likes
22,017
Carry it for a bit and then get back to us…$5 you will change your review.

I've been keeping it in the sheath in my front pocket. It disappears in my pocket, very easy to carry. I was thinking about removing the clip, except the clip is so nicely shaped. Still might remove it. I have actually dropped it a couple of times when I pull out my keys or wallet (carry my wallet in my front pocket.) I've learned to be more conscious of it.


I feel like my grandfather with his pocket knife. All men carried small pocket knives. It makes me feel more like an adult. Occasionally I'll grab my Benchmade too, which is more my workhorse, as I'm still a bit precious with the CR.

The blade has stayed clean, in spite of my complaint about finger prints. It is unf....ing believably sharp. It's only cut packages and cleaned my fingernails so far.

I recently met a well-known watchmaker here in Portland. We talked about different interests and when I showed him my Mnandi, he said he got a Sebenza for Christmas. I guess watches and knives just go together.
 
Posts
4,499
Likes
11,014
Recent purchase from Texas State Surplus. All the knives confiscated at Texas airports are brought there to be resold.

 
Posts
5,535
Likes
9,470
If you are in the DC region, and are into kitchen knives (as a pro cook or home cook), the annual 'Kitchen Knives Forum East Coast Gathering' is this Sunday (July 26) in Alexandria, VA. It's an indoor event, it's free, and there will be 12 or 13 knifemakers/ smiths, some sharpeners (plus a sharpening contest) and basically just loads of knives attendees bring to show and play with. It's a group effort for the food and drinks (a stove, ovens, gas/ charcoal grills are available). It is usually busiest from 12:30 - 5:00 pm.

Send me a DM if you are interested in attending.
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
It’s a Spyderco, they are always sharp out of the box. 📦
Edited:
 
Posts
340
Likes
977
Been using this one for at least 10 years on the job. I really like it and have no complaints.
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
Having moved down south from the NT anything that looks like cardboard gets cut up for the fire 🔥

These 4 are on duty to the rest come out of the container.

 
Posts
18,752
Likes
38,915
Having moved down south from the NT anything that looks like cardboard gets cut up for the fire 🔥
Have you gone from one extreme to the other Andy?
 
Posts
232
Likes
137
I don’t collect them but sure can appreciate them, I think it’s that there is craftsmanship that goes into both watches and knifes and there is often an origin story that is behind many of them. That fascinates me.
 
Posts
788
Likes
2,319
Recently visited Alaska and they had plenty. Came across Semper Sharp and was like take my money. Former Marine out of Anchorage, family run business and does limited run knives and custom work.

Let's just say my wallet isn't thanking me, but using them is amazing.

It was a "grab em now or never see them again" scenerio. They are were only two places for retail in Sitka and Icy Straight Point.