Anyone else collect knives?

Kitchen knives are Henkel's
Most prized folder is a Spyderco Police with Titanium scales
Most regretted "got away" Schrade mini-lock blade folder (I sold it for $20)
Largest - Cold Steel Carbon V Kukri
Longest owned - Puma (1970's)
daily carry...Spyderco Delica and a black scaled swiss army.

A customer brought in this knife marked R Avery for a sheath.

I know very little about knives but to me, it’s a work of art.

Customer is an avid hunter (bow, shotgun and rifle) so this knife will be put to use quite a bit.

He wants a very plain looking sheath.

In one of my pics the original sheath is shown. I suspect it was made mostly for shipping purposes as it does not keep the knife secured.

IMG_5632.jpeg IMG_5633.jpeg IMG_5634.jpeg IMG_5635.jpeg IMG_5636.jpeg IMG_5604.jpeg IMG_5603.jpeg I hope this does not look like a post from someone who is proudly displaying his brand new Invicta cruise ship purchase.

But I like this knife no matter what.

A customer brought in this knife marked R Avery for a sheath.

I know very little about knives but to me, it’s a work of art.

Customer is an avid hunter (bow, shotgun and rifle) so this knife will be put to use quite a bit.

He wants a very plain looking sheath.

In one of my pics the original sheath is shown. I suspect it was made mostly for shipping purposes as it does not keep the knife secured.

IMG_5632.jpeg IMG_5633.jpeg IMG_5634.jpeg IMG_5635.jpeg IMG_5636.jpeg IMG_5604.jpeg IMG_5603.jpeg I hope this does not look like a post from someone who is proudly displaying his brand new Invicta cruise ship purchase.

But I like this knife no matter what.

https://www.averyknifeworks.com/

Pine cone in resin handle....

Straight from Australia... @STANDY 's creation!
Love how it feels in the hand....

Kudos to STANDY! Nice Klean design. Whats the handle material? Some weird Aussie wood or syntetics? I really like the yellow color.

Kudos to STANDY! Nice Klean design. Whats the handle material? Some weird Aussie wood or syntetics? I really like the yellow color.

Make these with G10

@JimInOz owned one below
IMG_6975.jpeg

Couple I have made.
IMG_6891.jpeg
IMG_6890.jpeg
My own one…(Tiffany Blue)
IMG_6644.jpeg

Can make in any colour or Timber or even a mix.

IMG_6860.jpeg IMG_6848.jpeg

Yes of course, G10 have the "year rings" and is dish washer safe.

Make these with G10

@JimInOz owned one below
IMG_6975.jpeg

Couple I have made.
IMG_6891.jpeg
IMG_6890.jpeg
My own one…(Tiffany Blue)
IMG_6644.jpeg

Can make in any colour or Timber or even a mix.

IMG_6860.jpeg IMG_6848.jpeg

I'd love to have one, or two.. 😉

I'd love to have one, or two.. 😉

Coming,,Coming 😗

Another " viking" knife I made. The knife and sheath are interpretations of things found in Scandinavia. The knife is a rattle knife from Telemark in Norway, it has loose metal bits inside the top of the handle that rattle when the knife is shakened. The original seen in the book is dated to about 1600. My knife is forged from laminated 15N20 and mild steel and has a wooden handle with copper fittings.
The sheath is of a model found in viking age Birka in Sweden. It is leather with copper and bronze fittings. Both knife and sheath are mostly period correct with some of my own solutions, like the hanger above the blade in the first picture.
IMG_20231118_094833.jpg IMG_20231118_094922.jpg

No, I don’t collect knives as such they just seem to find me. All of them are used not nursed.

IMG_3032.jpeg IMG_3029.jpeg IMG_3030.jpeg

Love this, it used to be a truck spring.

IMG_3031.jpeg

Next one getting worked on….
IMG_7985.jpeg

Glow pins
IMG_7986.jpeg

IMG_7984.jpeg

Not a collector but came across this one today which I had completely forgotten about 🤦

IMG_8537.jpeg

Can post my latest 2 as the Owner Here now has them
IMG_7966.jpeg
IMG_7967.jpeg
IMG_7965.jpeg
IMG_7973.jpeg 1A78E92D-9A39-43E2-9E7B-9FF9AF23B051.jpeg

Can post my latest 2 as the Owner Here now has them...

Well, almost, since Christmas hasn't arrived yet here and these are presents for my daughters.

20231222_153826.jpg 20231222_153856.jpg 20231222_154003.jpg

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, my wife and I are very pleased and excited to receive these. They are very special for several reasons.

The back story is that we received the wood as a wedding gift from our mutual friend from the Army. That was 28 years ago. It was an unusual gift but Rob was an unusual guy. He learned Cambodian in the Army at the DLI in Monterrey, then got out and joined the US Foreign Service. He took to wearing a large red Fez, which I have yet to see another person wear, even in our quirky Portland known for a bagpipe playing unicyclist and the countrys largest naked bike ride.

So I've had this wood tucked away on a bookshelf for 28 years, not knowing what to do with it. In fact, I had forgotten about it until Archer decided to turn lemons into lemonade.

When Archer's tree fell down and he decided to mill the wood to turn it into a table, STANDY kindly offered to make a knife for Archer using some of the wood from Archer's tree. When I read that post in Archer's thread, that's when it clicked for me. I remembered I had the wedding wood and asked STANDY if he would make a couple knives for me too.

I didn't know what kind of knife or anything about the design. STANDY asked about my daughters and came up with the ideas. I hadn't seen the knives until they arrived recently and I can say i wouldn't change a thing.

Both daughters will use the knife primarily for preparing vegetables, as one is a vegetarian and the other is a vegan. The size and shape of the blade is perfect for this. You can see in my attached pictures how nicely balanced they are. The handles are also comfortable as well as attractive.

STANDY had the idea to add special colored liners, green for the vegan and pink for my eldest daughter who is a cancer survivor (a year and a half cancer free following surgery.) After STANDY recieved the wood and had started on the knives, I learned from another Army buddy that Rob had passed away from pancreatic cancer. Rob didn't learn what became of his gift, but no doubt he'd approve.

I'm grateful to STANDY for both his craftsmanship and his ideas for how to make these uniquely designed for each daughter. As I told him, he's become part of our family story. My daughter's will likely never meet him but when they use their knives they'll think of dad's Australian friend who's making knives downunder.

Wishing you all good memories this holiday season.

Still have my luminous sailing knife, thankfully never used in an emergency 😀

IMG_9180.jpeg

Quite a few years ago at an Arms Fair in Melbourne I came across a guy disposing of his collection of sheath knives, most of which were unused. He said he bought them just because he liked good design and manufacture.

I bought a number of them for much the same reason. This one was a bit of a steal at $Aud 40 and I could not resist it adding it to the pile. Factory made in Japan for Beretta but as good quality as you could wish with laminated grips, and the design and its feel in my hand appealed a lot. Not a big knife at 20cm, but very handy for fishing.

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

Ooo a knife thread! I like traditional/bushcrafty type knives from boutique makers that have perfected their heat treating.

Dave Beck Bushcrafter

1670436692001.png