Anyone able to shed some light on this flea market find?

She was super grubby and hidden under a pile of other watches.

She is keeping good time and hasn't left my wrist since i discovered her, as I adore her.

I think she is a cocktail watch with a champagne dial?

A Ladymatic but she has a Seamaster logo on the back and is encased in stainless steel with a Spienel USA strap.

Wondering if she is what one would call in the car industry a cut and shut?

If she is that's fine. I've given her a good clean and she is helping me to tell the time

upload_2024-4-4_21-53-35.png

upload_2024-4-4_21-54-1.png

upload_2024-4-4_21-54-28.png

upload_2024-4-4_21-54-59.png

Looks like a mighty fine watch and it works as a bonus..... If you plan to wear it as a working watch, it will need to be serviced.

All the lubrication has dried up and is hard or thick and gooey.

Glad you like it and it looks good on your wrist.

Welcome

Looks like a mighty fine watch and it works as a bonus..... If you plan to wear it as a working watch, it will need to be serviced.

All the lubrication has dried up and is hard or thick and gooey.

Glad you like it and it looks good on your wrist.

Welcome
Thanks so much. I'm so thrilled with her and would love to find out a bit more about her history. If I get her serviced what details should I ask to track down the year/make/model? Thanks so much for your kind words and reply 😀

We have a member or two with knowledge of these and they may reply.

Your watchmaker should be able to open the case back, where you will find the reference number and then look over on the movement and get the serial number to peg the production date .

Post that info here, and the Community will attempt to help. Ladymatic was the model

It appears to be a 1950-60's cocktail watch as you said. High Cotton !

The head is utterly genuine, the bracelet aftermarket but it is worth so little it's offensive. If you love it, then spend $200 getting it working and have a lovely watch worth maybe $150.

Does anyone else snigger when they hear Ladymatic or is it just me? I am a bit prone to playground humour so if not then that is cool.

the reference number and then look over on the movement and get the serial numbe

Better yet get some nice clear photos of both.

Likely a caliber 455 or 661 movement, ca mid to late 1950s mid 1960s.

Could be a 455 movement. One of the smallest automatics ever made at 16mm.

Most are 671 or 681 with date. Those are much larger at 18mm and use in gents watches. Usually the square ones.

Servicing these is a bit of a chore. With the small sizes most tend to disdain them. A service will be 4 to 600. (I would not trust a 200 service.)

Value varies. I like to pay around 35U$D for such movements. I have notice price creep lately on the bay. The Seamaster name helps.

Was going to bid on this, which is unrealistic. Was going to put this screenshot on the unrealistic expectations thread. Which is where we like to laugh at such things. Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 9.13.10 AM.png

The 630 is the non automatic of the 18mm. Someone might be really disappointed.

The single contact lugs also can generate disdain. I personally prefer the standard two contact lug, as there are more strap options. The current bracelet is worthless. Most likely this had a cord strap and clasp that rotted decades ago.

Ironically in the day such watches could have sold for more than the desirable ones what guys like with their space age frippery. The other issue is these were often wear once and toss. Not sure how much they were gifted. Such things are pretty much the bullion and diamond value. No one cares that the gears are as small as the chips in a modern cell phone.

Still this is a nice example. If you like it that is the important thing. It will not, however attract attention or turn heads. It is more for the discreet quiet look for those who do not want to be noticed.

Could be a 455 movement. One of the smallest automatics ever made at 16mm.

Most are 671 or 681 with date. Those are much larger at 18mm and use in gents watches. Usually the square ones.

Servicing these is a bit of a chore. With the small sizes most tend to disdain them. A service will be 4 to 600. (I would not trust a 200 service.)

Value varies. I like to pay around 35U$D for such movements. I have notice price creep lately on the bay. The Seamaster name helps.

Was going to bid on this, which is unrealistic. Was going to put this screenshot on the unrealistic expectations thread. Which is where we like to laugh at such things. Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 9.13.10 AM.png

The 630 is the non automatic of the 18mm. Someone might be really disappointed.

The single contact lugs also can generate disdain. I personally prefer the standard two contact lug, as there are more strap options. The current bracelet is worthless. Most likely this had a cord strap and clasp that rotted decades ago.

Ironically in the day such watches could have sold for more than the desirable ones what guys like with their space age frippery. The other issue is these were often wear once and toss. Not sure how much they were gifted. Such things are pretty much the bullion and diamond value. No one cares that the gears are as small as the chips in a modern cell phone.

Still this is a nice example. If you like it that is the important thing. It will not, however attract attention or turn heads. It is more for the discreet quiet look for those who do not want to be noticed.

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like she is pretty perfect for my wrist then

She is keeping time well so far so may just wear her as is without a service. I spent way less on her then the cost of the service lol.

The head is utterly genuine, the bracelet aftermarket but it is worth so little it's offensive. If you love it, then spend $200 getting it working and have a lovely watch worth maybe $150.

Does anyone else snigger when they hear Ladymatic or is it just me? I am a bit prone to playground humour so if not then that is cool.
Laughing now. Lol