Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2020

[​IMG]

That bezel...I think I want one...no blasphemy intended. Lovely watch too.

edit : if you do not want to share such info publicly, feel free to PM me.

Edited Mar 6, 2020
  2. vienna Mar 6, 2020

This is a beautiful watch:)

Kind regards Max

3. machamp6650 Mar 6, 2020

Pulsations bezel is a new / service one right? So almost certain it's all been artificially done...

Having said that I'd be interested in knowing how it's done. Great looking result - could be a lucrative market in that!

gminnj likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2020

yes, it’s modern/service, and yes I suspect it’s not natural, and yes, would either love to know how or love to know who, hence the creation of this thread :thumbsup:

5. machamp6650 Mar 6, 2020

Sorry mate I meant to have said I'm *also* interested in how it's done ;)

Sure it looks incredible, but is it worth the 56k markup?

wsfarrell and eugeneandresson like this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 6, 2020

I once got that Brown color bezel by reflection as I posed with a huge Gibeon meteorite found in Namibia... Iron meteorite so not a good idea ;)
    And as we know, any Speedmasters linked to meteorites often go in the 50K prices...
    BrownBezel_Speedmaster.jpg

DaveK, OMEGuy, heavenscloud and 3 others like this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 6, 2020

It was exposed to something like this:

[​IMG]

Baz9614, JanV, Gefa and 7 others like this.
  8. Seaborg Mar 6, 2020

I think we could achieve this coloration with a chemical process. I've no specific idea of how to do it by the way. I've also personally observed that (alpha) radiations can generate severe brown discoloration...

eugeneandresson likes this.
  9. Cellestino Mar 6, 2020

The look is very attractive. However I would query, if this has been created artificially, why would the artisan elect not to refill the luminous paint within the minute hand?

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2020

I know nobody owns any thread, but I would like to keep this ones track on the bezel. Just to be clear: I am not insinuating that this is in any way a prepared watch (so there was most likely no ‘artisan’ involved any more than I would be an artisan if I put such a bezel on my own watch), and if it were, then the lume hole would have been filled, but I assume everyone who sees this thinks the same as I : that there is 0 chance that bezel came with that watch as the period correct one is different. This is the third modern pulsometer bezel I have seen in a short while with exactly the same color and uniformity, hence my question. It’s tastefully done and looks great on this piece.

11. neilfrancis Mar 6, 2020

The whole package looks amazing. I’d love to know more too. Do we think the dial has been ‘done’ too? Not a criticism, I’m admiring it... never seen one with shading quite like it. I also think that the lume in the hands has been done that way (or left that way) for its aesthetic value. Lovely tones all over the watch. I’d wear it. ‘Chapeau’ to the artist/builder.

12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2020

My humble 2c opinion: To my eye that dial is flawless and untouched, and we have seen at least one other (edit : make that 2) 145.012 with the same dial behavior (but with some lume loss) in the last x months ...

upload_2020-3-7_0-36-40.jpeg

upload_2020-3-7_0-37-22.jpeg

Edited Mar 6, 2020
  13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2020

Nope. That’s the same one as in this thread (created about 14h earlier) ;)

Rman and Spacefruit like this.
  14. janice&fred Mar 6, 2020

i'm not sure about flawless, at least in regards to the coloring consistency. it looks like the same type of coloring certain guys in HK were achieving by slow baking.

watchyouwant likes this.
  15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2020

Apart from color (which despite speculative baking, I still find a beautiful flaw), by ‘flawless’ I meant no scratches/marks/specks/spots/etc/etc/etc on the dial.

All photos of baked ED White dials that look like this from Hong Kong welcome.If these guys were pumping them out, there must be a ton of images from sales listings etc etc.

janice&fred likes this.
  16. janice&fred Mar 6, 2020

I don't know about ed white dials in HK but there are some there as well as in the Philippines that have pretty much perfected the art of "tropicalizing" rolex dials.

watchyouwant and eugeneandresson like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 6, 2020

My guess is the dials legit. The bezel was made as it’s cheaper then a decent DON.

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2020

That I can believe. I just honestly have not seen many properly (read: not baked to ‘fakk’ dry looking and hideous) tropical EWs or 145.012s at all.

Now if anyone can help me with that bezel...:D

19. watchlovr Mar 6, 2020

I don’t see any way of baking a dial to turn it brown, without affecting the white script at the same time.
    Heard the stories, just stories till proven.
    And I don’t know how the bezel is “browned”
    Bleach is known to fade a bezel insert, but no brown that I’ve seen.

20. harrymai86 Mar 7, 2020

For someone willing to pay 56k I believe he needs to inspect the dial in person and makes the decision after that, well also he will need to hunt down a faded brownish DON to match the dial :p:p