Forums Latest Members

Any Linux users have out there?

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2020

Got some neat scripts to share? Or a favorite distro?

2. SlCKB0Y Sep 19, 2020

Yep, been using Linux pretty much continuously since the late 90s. First for play and then for work mostly over the last 15 years.

For desktop use I’m pretty fond of Elementary, they have some really talented developers. https://elementary.io/
    Don’t worry about their cheeky little purchase button, if you select “custom” and $0 it’s free.

For server, mostly CentOS because it is a defacto standard due to its relationship to RHEL. https://www.centos.org/

For storage at home, not Linux but BSD in the form of FreeNAS. https://www.freenas.org/

Edited Sep 19, 2020
  3. MRC Sep 19, 2020

I have been using Linux at work since 1993 and at home from 1998. Before that it was SunOs/Solaris at work from 1983 and SunOs at home from 1986, so I was already well used to the Unix way of doing things.

Tried lots of distros over the years and often had a different one on each machine to keep up with developments, but now just have Mint+Cinnamon on desktop and laptops. For some years I got involved with Linux development, particularly Sane scanner back-ends and the now defunct search engine Ht://dig.

Waltesefalcon, ZIELSZIEK and wagudc like this.
  4. jud Sep 19, 2020

Similar here. I started using Linux in the late 90s and got rid of all our Windows PCs at home when I got out of the military in 2000. Been using it for home and work ever since. My kids have Windows PCs for school work but that just started with the lock down.

I'm back to Ubuntu when 20.04 was released. For work I use an Ubuntu laptop and whatever version of RHEL they tell me to use on servers. I have deployed some Ubuntu servers but have moved back to RHEL for consistency across releases.

Foo2rama, ZIELSZIEK and wagudc like this.
  5. wagudc Sep 19, 2020

I have been using Linux since the mid 90s, back then I played with various distros. Now I want something simple that almost always works and has a huge user base. If I don't have an answer, it is only a quick web search away. I like boring and simple Ubuntu.

Foo2rama and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  6. ZIELSZIEK Sep 19, 2020

Ubuntu is what is use nowadays, mostly on my laptop. My desktop runs Win10.
    I also used Kali Linux for some experimentation, but only for a short while.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2020

I’m currently daily driving the Debian (not Unbuntu) fork of Mint. It's a little more streamlined than the normal Mint, which I greatly prefer over Unbuntu once I switched. I also need to run Kali, Onion, and a few associated distros for testing, although I am thinking of switching off of Kali to Parrot. Parrot is a lot snappier then Kali and offers the same tools. When I am in the cloud I tend to be on AML2 (CentOS) and Unbuntu on Azure. At the scale I am working at, staying on a Debian base in Azure works fine for me.

I really need to settle on a VM solution though on my main machine. I like VMwares simplicity, but I think I need the VirtualBox extra features...

I run Win 10 and run the VM's off of a Raid 0 2 x 1tb 7200rpm drives which gives me 2gb at close to SSD speed at a substantial reduction in price. ( I know but I do not need redundancy on these if I lose the raid it's not an issue its just applications and VM's.)

8. MRC Sep 19, 2020

About 1% of the computer collection of someone I know. One of the prize pieces is that little black system on the desk in the centre of the picture. It is the very first machine off the Sun production line, Serial Number 001. There are a lot fewer of these known than Apple I. Nondescript beige box at bottom right is my first home computer, a 1984 Sun 2/120 that cost me £100 when it was declared obsolete at work in 1986. We had a few to get rid off and I spent some time making sure it had all the memory and disc that could be crammed in and put my name on the side to make sure I hauled away the right one.

PC100498m.JPG

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2020

Wow! a Silicon Graphics Server Cage??? Those are rare as heck also.

wagudc likes this.
  10. Waltesefalcon Sep 20, 2020

I use Mint on my home laptop. I used Windows up through 7 and then decided after 8 to make the move. I've been happy with the change.

DManzaluni and Foo2rama like this.
  11. SlCKB0Y Sep 24, 2020

My work laptops I use Mac. To me it’s the best of everything - Nice hardware, consistent and clean user interface, lots of commercial software and when I feel like it, it has a very usable command line environment, package management and an xserver.

SkunkPrince, richiv and kkt like this.
  12. DManzaluni Sep 24, 2020

Yes, I like what they have done with Darwin, but you should try a (Fusion) VM in it!

13. repoman Sep 28, 2020

yep, I don't talk about work much as most people find it boring, including myself, but I work on Linux kernel development (networking, block storage and file systems). Before Linux work, I was at Sun Microsystems working on Solaris bringing up platforms pictured in MRC's post, including the Sun Enterprise 10000 (Starfire), 15000 (Starcat) and a few other things.

jud, MRC and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 28, 2020

My project over the next few days is to set up a home server using a raspberry pi 4 running docker.

Wordpress
    MariaDB
    Falco security
    And an ftp server.

I just need to figure out which OS. Unbuntu server for arm. Raspbien or the headless unbuntu arm version.

15. MRC Sep 28, 2020

There's an article in the latest Linux format ("October 2010") on installing Ubuntu 20.04 on Raspi so I'd be inclined to give that a go.

16. bradurani Sep 28, 2020

All day everyday. Ubuntu + Vim is my primary tool

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 28, 2020

Installing the OS is not an issue. The Pi 4 is powerful enough to be a full desktop computer. I’m looking for the least resource intensive smallest footprint distro I can run. Since I’ll be running a bunch of containers on the server.

The documentation out there is a little thin and I can’t run them in virtualization as the Pi is arm based.

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 28, 2020

Vim users scare me.

S.H. likes this.
  19. MRC Sep 28, 2020

One of my occasional bicycling buddies wrote part of the original vi. He retired as Visiting Professor in Residence at University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory.

Like Unix, Vim is user friendly. It just happens to be very selective about who it decides to make friends with.

Edited Sep 28, 2020
  20. S.H. Sep 28, 2020

I use Linux regularly (as an end user, no fancy OS stuff) since my engineering school days in early 2000s. Still running debian on my laptop, mostly to surf the net and watch movies nowadays; it feels easier and more natural than windows. But back when I was an engineer I loved linux as a practical tool, as I developed scientific computing programs in Fortran: my work mates used windows98 or XP, I could not stand it. It felt so much easier and streamlined to work with linux, I still shiver when I remember having to work with the Windows command line, bleargh.