Forums Latest Members
  1. cvrle1 Oct 7, 2019

Was watching an Ed White yesterday that was listed on eBay before, that was relisted again. Seller said relisting was due to non payment, which happens. It was auction style, and closing price was $7800 or there about. Noticed that same watch is back on sale once again today, however this time note states that it is re-listed due to buyer being in country that seller doesnt ship to. Again, could be fair reason, however I also noticed that seller now listed BIN of $10.5K as well.

That made me kinda weary, so due diligence may be necessary if you decide to pull a trigger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-OMEGA...-STRAIGHT-LUG-PRE-MOON-VTG-WATCH/223696209555Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

2. ConElPueblo Oct 7, 2019

Surprised to see that it wasn't Lunar Oyster selling this; style of photography and background looks so familiar. Was about to put in the mandatory "watch out for paper clips" comment...

DaveK, kov, shishy and 5 others like this.
  3. cvrle1 Oct 7, 2019

hahah I know. I was thinking the same thing when i saw that background. I knew it looked familiar and that i saw it before for a different seller. I didnt see any paperclips though, so thats good.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. Dan S Oct 7, 2019

Possible that the seller just had bad luck twice, but it's also possible that he was not happy with the auction result and decided to cancel the sale. I note that the bidders' identities were hidden in the auction as well, which always strikes me as sketchy.

Edited Oct 7, 2019
    Benbradstock, cvrle1 and KingCrouchy like this.
  5. KingCrouchy Oct 7, 2019

Dubious is the most fitting word to describe this auction and the steps taken afterwards.

txjohn likes this.
  6. boogedyboo Oct 7, 2019

7. mrs_LA Oct 7, 2019

I had to search to see what you meant. Omegaforums truly never fails.

DaveK and kov like this.
  8. michael22 Oct 7, 2019

Does anybody believe any ebay seller?
    Apart from trusting they will send the goods if I pay, I really only believe the text that is supported by photos. All else is BS.

Engee and connieseamaster like this.
  9. Dan S Oct 7, 2019

Wow, that is really looking sketchy now. BTW, I think he means to say Shear, not Shearer, which is also a little strange.

10. asrnj77 Oct 7, 2019

This ^

No reserve yes, starting price $10,500 :) I’m sure the seller’s Mom was the winning bidder and when he saw what he was going to get on the open market he cancelled and relisted with new, higher price.

11. cvrle1 Oct 8, 2019

If I had $7800 to spend, I would offer him that, with explanation that was the winning bid, and unlike last winner, I am in US. See if he accepts. Somehow I doubt it though.

tikkathree likes this.
  12. jolyon Oct 22, 2019

Strange how the white paint has just fallen off the centre of the hands in a circle. Anybody know why that is?

13. cvrle1 Oct 22, 2019

Price gone down to $9K now. Lets see if it goes back to $7800 which was sold price originally.

14. ndgal Oct 22, 2019

Since many (probably most?) eBay buyers aren't aware that now there is a 5-10% vig (i.e. Sales Tax) automatically added to the final sale price results in many non paying bidders. That's an additional $400 - $780 "fee" on top on this watch for example.
    I can attest to that from first hand experience. There are many non paying bidders lately and I believe this is the main reason.
    It will take a while until everyone realizes that there is now sales tax added (in most states) and bidders will bid accordingly and won't be "surprised" by a 5-10% hit at checkout...

kov and bloomy like this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 23, 2019

I was just about to buy a watch from Closer yesterday until I saw the sales tax added plus the US seems to be more diligent lately with collecting duty, the watch was about 13% higher than I was willing to pay.

Njnjcfp88 likes this.
  16. cvrle1 Oct 26, 2019

This is true as well. I know just looking at my purchases on eBay, they have definitely gone down since I have to pay WA state tax. Kicker is, I dont even live there. I am on Canada side, really close to the border, but it is much cheaper to ship to US and pick up from there. So I pay a tax for item that leaves US 5 minutes after it is picked up. And no way to get that tax back either, so yeah, my purchases from ebay have gone way down

JwRosenthal and Vercingetorix like this.
  17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 26, 2019

So you are mad about having to pay tax to avoid import duties?

bloomy and efauser like this.
  18. tikkathree Oct 26, 2019

Catching up with Customs & Excise in jolly old GB: anything over about $35/£30 they demand the 20% which absolutely wrecks any hope of a bargain from non-EU countries.

19. cvrle1 Oct 27, 2019

If that was only the case. I still pay taxes and duty when need be when I bring item into Canada. I do not smuggle items in, I declare everything I have. So I pay WA state tax, and then BC/Canada taxes on top. So I pay tax on top of tax.

scapa likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 28, 2019

But in the end, if as you say as it's "much" cheaper than having to ship to Canada, then what's the issue?