Forums Latest Members
  1. LesG Aug 31, 2021

Hello from KY and a bit about myself. I have to admit that over the years most of my disposable cash went to photography and the shooting sports. Because of that my collection of watches is pitiful compared to many here… a few Seiko watches, a Krieger automatic chronograph/chronometer and a recently purchased Planet Ocean. I prefer chronographs so all are those with one exception. I surprised myself when I recently bought the PO because it isn’t a chronograph. I plan on rectifying that later this year or early next with another Omega when I recoup from the PO purchase. Also, sometime I want to do a review of that Krieger I have. That company started out producing some nice watches (IMO) back in the late 80s, early 90s and then starting producing some off the wall, just plain ugly (again in IMO) watches.

One other watch I have is an old Elgin pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather and that watch was “born” in 1928… it still works but is a poor time keeper due partly to the fact that in almost 100 years it has never been serviced. It’s not worth much but is special to me. Grandfather died the year before I was born. As a kid of around 5 yrs. I’d unscrew the back and what I saw inside fascinated me. Thankfully I never touched anything though and to this day from time to time I take the back off and become fascinated all over again. I’m thinking of sending it off for service even though I’d probably spend more than it’s worth.

I tend to get diarrhea of the mouth and this intro is proof! Sorry it’s longer the most.

noelekal, Shabbaz, ahsposo and 5 others like this.
  2. Syzygy Aug 31, 2021

Welcome to the community, and looking forward to the Krieger review! You'll quickly see that photography skills and watches are closely linked around here. We love the pictures!

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 31, 2021

Hi Les, what shooting are you into?

4. LesG Aug 31, 2021

I shoot IDPA, rated expert but sadly just can't seem to make up those couple of seconds for master. I'm also the match director for a local steel challenge type match... not SCSA affliated but use 99% of their rules.

noelekal likes this.
  5. LesG Aug 31, 2021

A friend borrowed my tripod so it'll be awhile before that review but I promise plenty of images.

6. Toishome Aug 31, 2021

Welcome to OF :)

7. MTROIS Aug 31, 2021

Welcome!!

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 31, 2021

Welcome, Les.
    Any photos of your interests?

9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 31, 2021

noelekal likes this.
  10. Walrus Aug 31, 2021

Hey cool welcome, don’t worry about your watch collection “compared to”. Or “too” or even “two”. There are many of us who wade in the shallow end we just like watches and people here aren’t quick to look down or pass judgment, besides you picked up a new PO which is pretty cool compared to my stuff….oh wait. It gotta be fun, if we live in compare land it probably wouldn’t be so much.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  11. LesG Aug 31, 2021

My photography was very specialized. I "shot" only Blues Musicians with some success and recognition. My photos appeared in numerous Blues publications both here in the states and Europe, on album covers and promo work for various record labels. I got spoiled getting front row seats all the time! I never had the guts to go full pro and I'm now retired from my "real" job and pretty much (not completely) gotten out of photography except for odd jobs here and there, a few weddings (a lot of work and more like a job) and photos for my own pleasure. Never did any product photos so don't expect much when I review something here. Anyway, here's a couple of my Blues favorites.

Luther Allison Chicago 1995_filtered.jpg Paul Dr.jpg RobRio17.jpg Susan Tedeschi Tampa 2000 2.jpg
    noelekal, ahartfie, apsm100 and 4 others like this.
  12. LesG Aug 31, 2021

I will gladly help satisfy the local nerds about that pocket watch along with photos! That is when my friend returns my tripod to me.

DaveK likes this.
  13. philips Sep 5, 2021

Welcome, I'm new too.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 5, 2021

Welcome Les and Philips!!

15. LesXL Sep 9, 2021

Any place is always better with more Les's :)
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cheers,
    Les

noelekal likes this.