Forums Latest Members

Another Colorful Oddity: Yachting Regatta

1. High Hope Sep 10, 2021

Inspired by @Duracuir1 ’s interesting sailing-related post here https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-unusual-watch-the-jardur-seatimer.135826/#post-1852114, I was tempted to show another sailing odd-ball, my Memosail Regatta.

[​IMG]

It is a sailboat racer’s starting watch. In racing, the boats mill about behind an imaginary line between two markers set a distance apart. The starter fires a gun (or blows an air horn or whistle, or even fires a cannon, depending on the prestige of the race and the wealth of the participants.) The boats now have 10 minutes to go before heading into the wind to cross the starting line. Depending on the type of race there may be another signal indicates that there are five minutes remaining.

[​IMG]

Strategy, rules of the sea, bravado and timing all come into play, as you want to be the lead guy, in clean unobstructed wind, who crosses at exactly the 10-minute mark.

[​IMG]

Cross early and your penalty is to “do a 360 (deg. spin,)” which is guaranteed to lose you the race. Boat #7193 is early, below. Generally, much cursing and swearing can be heard throughout the starting sequence, all done in the most gentlemanly manner, of course.

[​IMG]

So, about the Memosail. It is powered by a manual winding Valjoux 7737 movement. Image taken from the web:

[​IMG]

Instead of sub seconds hands, the movement powers a colorful disc that is marked in minute intervals starting at 10. The disc rotates counterclockwise in 30 second increments. Also from the web:

[​IMG]

The effect is to see the “10” rotate until it is out of sigh behind the watch face. As it does so, a red band begins to show, starting at the 5-minute mark. It is an intuitive and easily read system that you are approaching 5 minutes before the start.

[​IMG]

Now recall that a lot of boats are now all jockeying for position, tacking, jibing, all while heading into the wind all the while obeying the rules of the road. That explains the swearing and cursing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the minutes continue to disappear under the watch face, a white band reveals itself with bright green letters, not numerals. “S” gives you a hint as to what is coming next.

[​IMG]

Bang, just as the entire word “START” is revealed your bow should cross the imaginary line, and then, as they say, you’re off to the races.

[​IMG]

The party trick is over, and the Memosail behaves like any chrono, starting and stopping with the top pusher and resetting with the lower pusher. But for what it is designed to do, to provide instantly recognizable information under stressful racing conditions, the watch is a winner

The stainless-steel case is 38mm with a matching Memosail-signed caseback. Early versions were shaped in a very 1970s fashion as lug-less flying saucers.

[​IMG]

The case is stainless steel measuring 38 mm. The watch has a signed screw-on caseback and a domed acrylic crystal. The hands are short stumps but nicely executed. The sweep second is a bright orange and matches the orange marker at 12.00. Interestingly for a sailing watch, the crown does not screw down. Later versions were crudely sawn off on either side to take on an amorphous shape.

[​IMG]

The last versions look like proper watches, but do lose some of the 70s wackiness vibe. There was a model called the Memosail VIP, but it seems that the only difference was a steel bracelet in lieu of the standard blue rubber strap.

[​IMG]

The Regatta is a fun, light, interesting watch. I found mine on eBay, it was being sold by the husband of the original buyer. She was an avid racer on the Great Lakes. She finally switched to digital after using her Memosail for years.

Edited Sep 10, 2021
    noelekal, Duracuir1, Mark020 and 10 others like this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 10, 2021

what a brilliant and new (to me) watch. I love everything about it. Yatchmaster II eat your heart out!!

DaveK and High Hope like this.
  3. High Hope Sep 10, 2021

It is a piece of work, I like it too. ;)

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 10, 2021

That is very cool. A couple of my friends are on recreational race teams and I will be sure to get this watch on their radar.

Thank you for taking the time to put this post together.

High Hope likes this.
  5. High Hope Sep 10, 2021

On my wrist today. Not 1979, but still a nice watch.
    [​IMG]

Duracuir1, Woops, bristnj and 2 others like this.
  6. High Hope Sep 10, 2021

This is a white-knuckle moment.

Crowded race.jpg

Duracuir1 likes this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 10, 2021

I’d opt for the canon instead of the watch if there were that many boats so close to mine

8. High Hope Sep 10, 2021

Agreed. Blow them up a la Pirates of the Caribbean…
    [​IMG]

Duracuir1 and DaveK like this.
  9. vibe Sep 11, 2021

another yachtimer. I believe the later Yachtingraf regatta had a 7737 movement. Would love to grab one of those.
    30D9DE17-D0FD-45F5-A0A1-9358788A6E0F.jpeg

10. Woops Sep 11, 2021

Thank you for that excellent post. It was a fascinating read :thumbsup:

Nice watch too!

High Hope likes this.
  11. Just Livin Sep 11, 2021

Nice thread. Love the disc dial on the yema.
    upload_2021-9-11_9-40-29.png

12. High Hope Sep 11, 2021

That Yema is a beauty. Wow. I assume that the sub dial moves in one minute increments? That would be a lot of fun to see.

13. High Hope Sep 11, 2021

Another beauty. Is that on your wrist? Dibs!

14. High Hope Sep 11, 2021

Thanks for the kind words.

15. SmithSJ Sep 11, 2021

May as well add a Heuer Skipper too Another great yachting watch 71722E91-2E16-490F-A0EE-F9A1570BC7E6.jpeg

Duracuir1, tapaptpat, MRC and 2 others like this.
  16. High Hope Sep 11, 2021

Very nice. Vintage Heuers rev my jets but I haven’t pulled the trigger. I do have the Jochen Rindt Autavia and really like it. :thumbsup:

17. tapaptpat Sep 11, 2021

Cant join in with the wristies but i know you guys will enjoy this link:
    Full of colourful bounties

http://www.regatta-yachttimers.com/

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate!!!

High Hope and Duracuir1 like this.
  18. Paedipod Sep 11, 2021

not so interesting but a regatta style: Chronosport Chronosail, the yellow centre minutes counts down to start time, here 6:20 to go IMG_0806 (1).jpeg

High Hope, tapaptpat and Duracuir1 like this.
  19. MRC Sep 11, 2021

In theory this has racing countdown

IMG_0083m.JPG

in practice it's almost impossible to read on-shore in an easy chair.

High Hope and Duracuir1 like this.
  20. Just Livin Sep 11, 2021

I do find this dial very pleasing on the eye.

upload_2021-9-11_23-58-42.png