Anniversary Gift Help: Vintage Seamaster for a Novice

Greetings All,

What a stellar forum I have encountered here! My wife is "surprising" me with a wonderful 5th anniversary gift of a vintage Omega Seamaster. This is our first foray into what we would consider a more serious watch, and want to make sure we do well. Upon our cursory search a classic Seamaster Calendar with tones mostly of silver with touches of gold has caught both of our eyes, as displayed below.

This is one she's considering purchasing for $850 plus shipping of $29. I imagine most would consider this a "basic" watch, but the general style is what we're looking for to get us started, and I'm sure we'll venture out to more exotic from there over time. Please advise your thoughts on this piece, and please don't hold back criticisms.

-I imagine this is a touch high in asking price for this particular piece? What's typical cost for such a watch?
-I read on here today that '50's Omegas can be more difficult to service and acquire parts for. Is this watch a concern from that regard? Should we look for a 60's piece?
-I would prefer a seahorse, but am not sure if the watch below predates the seahorse, nor if it has it because of no image of the back.
-Also, I'm open to suggestions for other Seamasters, or similar Omegas that could be a bit more intriguing/unique but generally similar in style.
-Current budget would be up to and around $1500, but no need to spend that if there are good suggestions in great shape at lower points.

Cheers!

Below is all the relevant information I can acquire on this particular watch:
Omega Seamaster Calendar 2849-4SC

Its caliber 503 movement has proven to be robust and the date wheel functions as it should. This watch comes paired on its original Omega leather strap which has worn in well and remains in great condition.

Movement: Automatic
Case Material: Silver (I assume stainless steel, but that's what the listing shows)
Year of Production: 1956
Condition: Very Good (Worn with little to no signs of wear)
Movement: 503
Case Diameter: 34 x 42 mm
Crystal: Mineral Glass
Dial: White
18217567-99j74flv20ivhcv3oyq6qmnd-ExtraLarge.jpg
18217567-zd0i38nwh7b24ewhf3ffc4g6-ExtraLarge.jpg
18217567-w30e5yjuqgcvdzzwq9q59mmq-ExtraLarge.jpg 18217567-e0v1l0ii1wgs5p7zundii4k6-ExtraLarge.jpg 18217567-k2hbxqg3q3o2o58so67b2eac-ExtraLarge.jpg 18217567-4m362ki5j69qozejvn82v9oc-ExtraLarge.jpg

Great gift.. however, personally, I would look for another one. Two reasons: 1) this one is a redial (potentially a service dial). For $850, I would expect a nice original dial. 2) the strap is NOT original, not even close. And if they’re trying to pass off that strap as original.. what else are they trying to pass off?

These are fairly common so as long as you’re a little patient, a nice, original one will come along. Feel free to ask for advice here as you already know.. we’re happy to help!

Great gift.. however, personally, I would look for another one. Two reasons: 1) this one is a redial (potentially a service dial). For $850, I would expect a nice original dial. 2) the strap is NOT original, not even close. And if they’re trying to pass off that strap as original.. what else are they trying to pass off?

These are fairly common so as long as you’re a little patient, a nice, original one will come along. Feel free to ask for advice here as you already know.. we’re happy to help!

why do you think it’s a redial?

why do you think it’s a redial?
A few things: 1) the S in Seamaster is off, 2) lume plots are in an incorrect position for these - they should be embedded in the markers (see the one at 6 that was actually placed on top of the ‘Swiss made’ text), and 3) I don’t believe I’ve seen any of these 2849s with this sunburst dial finish.

I'm thinking service dial here. That looks very like the dials Omega use to replace 60s stuff. The serial is from circa 1955/6 so is too early for that design, particularly the blocky indices. If that lume is SL or even tritium it has been relumed and/or the dial completely replaced. I would be surprised to see Radium lume still toothpaste white after 60+ years. If it shows any UV reaction I would be 95% sure it has been replaced.

Wow, what helpful responses. You guys are great!

So to reiterate my takeaway, it's likely a redial due to being asynchronous with the model year and I should expect a nice original dial at that price.

Is there a general consensus on seahorse vs pre-seahorse having any type of "following" or relevance? I personally was leaning toward the seahorse on the backs for serendipitous reasons, but that would rule out the nice watch that jaegodylan has to offer. I also had read concerns about the pieces from 50s perhaps being more difficult to service?

Wow, what helpful responses. You guys are great!

So to reiterate my takeaway, it's likely a redial due to being asynchronous with the model year and I should expect a nice original dial at that price.

Is there a general consensus on seahorse vs pre-seahorse having any type of "following" or relevance? I personally was leaning toward the seahorse on the backs for serendipitous reasons, but that would rule out the nice watch that jaegodylan has to offer. I also had read concerns about the pieces from 50s perhaps being more difficult to service?

Here is one that sold here a couple years back:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/opinions-on-this-garage-sale-seamaster-calendar-2849.80934/

This reference should have a sea monster caseback, but you should always ask for a picture to see it's condition. The sales post shows what the dial should look like, notice the elongated S. The quality of the printing on the posted watch suggests that it was a later replacement dial made be Omega.

The sales post shows what the dial should look like, notice the elongated S. The quality of the printing on the posted watch suggests that it was a later replacement dial made be Omega.
Noted. Also seems that this one shouldn't have "Calendar" under the Seamaster script.

Is there a good resource out there that has a list and corresponding images of the models over the years?

Is there a good resource out there that has a list and corresponding images of the models over the years?

This is a good starting place, but not exhaustive.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/vintage-watches

I also just Google the reference number and check trusted sources. The sales section here is vetted so it is a good source. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions.