Anniversary Gift Help: OPTIONS 3-5 - Vintage Seamaster for a Novice

ROUND 3-5: My wife is "surprising" me with a wonderful 5th anniversary gift of a vintage Omega Seamaster. This is our first foray into what we would consider a more serious watch, and want to make sure we do well. This is my third thread on the matter, and we've diverted the search process some due to a suggestion from this site to a site that may be a tad pricey, but hopefully will be a better starting point from a product quality purview.

Apologies if separate threads are recommended, I thought it would be less clutter to the forum this way. I can break them up individually if preferred. I will label each as option #3, 4, and 5. I'm thinking I would prefer a mix of option 3 and 4 at a lower price point. Also, none of these have authentic straps so that will be an additional expense as well, open to suggestions in that regard. Critique and guide away, gentlemen (and ladies?)!

#3) 1959 OMEGA SEAMASTER 2938-3 SC
#4) 1963 OMEGA SEAMASTER 14760 - SC 62 (DATE)
#5) 1954 OMEGA SEAMASTER F6249

#3) 1959 OMEGA SEAMASTER 2938-3 SC: $2,050

Circa: 1959
Model: Seamaster
Caliber: 285
Jewel count: 17 jewels
Movement type: Manual wind
Case model: 2938-3 SC
Case material: Solid stainless steel
Case gasket: O-Ring rubber gasket
Crystal: Brand new Acrylic crystal
Crown: Signed
Case Diameter excluding crown: 36mm
Case length lug tip to lug tip: 44.4mm
Dial: Factory original finish
Hand type: Dauphine (original)
Strap material: Handmade vintage style genuine leather
Strap width in between lugs: 18mm

Here is an uncommon Omega Seamaster watch with center second feature. The attractive factory original dial is in excellent condition. Yellow gold tone hour indexes and original dauphine hands. Professionally serviced manual wind movement working strong and accurate. Omega caliber 285 dating this watch to 1959. The unpolished original solid stainless steel case measures a large 36mm across excluding the crown by 44.4mm lug tip to lug tip. Original signed crown. Case model 2938-3 SC. Brand new crystal and brand new case back gasket. The watch is ready for daily wear and will come with a high quality 18mm new handmade genuine leather strap.

#4) 1963 OMEGA SEAMASTER 14760 - SC 62 (DATE): $1,650

Circa: 1963
Caliber: 562
Jewel count: 24 jewels
Movement type: Automatic wind
Case model: 14760 - SC 62
Case material: Gold plated over solid stainless steel
Crystal: New acrylic crystal
Case Diameter excluding crown: 34mm
Case length lug tip to lug tip: 41mm
Hand type: dauphine (original)
Strap material: genuine leather

Here is a stunning vintage Omega Seamaster Automatic watch. Professionally serviced Omega caliber 562 automatic movement running strong and accurate. Original signed crown. The factory original dial is in very good condition. Minor visible mark around the 5 o'clock index. Original set of dauphine hands. The original gold plated over solid stainless steel case is in very good original unpolished condition. Case model is 14760-SC 62 and measures 34mm across excluding the crown by 41mm lug tip to lug tip. The watch will come complete with a brand new 18mm high quality genuine leather strap.

#5) 1954 OMEGA SEAMASTER F6249: $1,650
Circa: 1954
Caliber: 344
Jewel count: 17 jewels
Case model: F6249
Case material: 14k gold filled
Case gasket: Flat-Ring rubber gasket
Crystal: Acrylic New crystal
Case Diameter excluding crown: 34.5mm
Case length lug tip to lug tip: 42.8mm
Hand type: Dauphine (original)

Up for sale is a stunning Omega Seamaster automatic watch. It is very difficult to locate a gold filled beefy lugs Omega in fine condition. The factory original finish dial is attractive and is in very good condition. Breguet numeral dial is always collectible. The case is made of 14k gold filled. The case is left in its original unpolished condition. Original signed clover crown show sign of missing cap. Brand new crystal. A new case back gasket. 18mm croco grain genuine leather strap is brand new. The case measures 34.5mm across excluding crown by 42.8mm lug tip to lug tip. The 17 jewels automatic movement has been serviced and regulated. It is an Omega caliber 344 with serial number 14116571 dating this watch to 1954. Case model F6249.

All massively overpriced and all with little spoilers. One has the previous owner's initials, one has the wrong crown and one has the gold cap missing from the crown. That, in conjunction with the use of such subjective terms as "stunning", "attractive", and a particular pet hate of mine: "The watch....will come with a high quality 18mm new handmade genuine leather strap" as if that were actually some kind of selling point, would be enough for me to dismiss the seller with an inward snort of derision and look elsewhere.

If you check out the private sales section here you can get a lot more watch for your money. These seem to be horrifying instagram dealer prices and pictures.

All massively overpriced and all with little spoilers. One has the previous owner's initials, one has the wrong crown and one has the gold cap missing from the crown. That, in conjunction with the use of such subjective terms as "stunning", "attractive", and a particular pet hate of mine: "The watch....will come with a high quality 18mm new handmade genuine leather strap" as if that were actually some kind of selling point, would be enough for me to dismiss the seller with an inward snort of derision and look elsewhere.
Thanks, I bolded the strap part so it would stand out to all here that it’s being presented as aftermarket. I was hoping these would me more along the lines of “good options” BUT overpriced.

If you check out the private sales section here you can get a lot more watch for your money. These seem to be horrifying instagram dealer prices and pictures.
I’ve searched there and will continue to keep an eye there as well. I was directed to the one jaegodylan has listed, and it’s the closest so far to what we’re searching for.

@Edward53 as far as “OPTION 4” above (the “Date” model with gold plated case), is it the one referenced above with the wrong crown?

It seems a clean version of “Option 3” above, either with or without a date function is what we’re searching for at the moment.

I don’t mind a gold plated or full gold case, but she’s leaning stainless steel case for this first foray. We’re both preferring simple gold markings on the dial.

Have you considered a vintage Omega Geneve as an alternative to a Seamaster? Older models from the 1950s and early 1960s are beautiful classic watches and are generally priced lower than Seamasters. They were made in both calendar and no date models and in stainless steel, gold plated and solid gold cases. Here are photos of my 1959 reference 2903 with a manual caliber 268 movement.

Really overpriced timepieces, if you are not in rush just wait a bit and here on forum may appear something in better condition and for fair prices.

I agree with all the comments above. Also beware of how the watches look on the seller's wrist...He must have a very slim wrist for a 34mm watch to look so substantial.

I agree with all the comments above. Also beware of how the watches look on the seller's wrist...He must have a very slim wrist for a 34mm watch to look so substantial.
Thanks guys, I’ll keep forging onward. He lists as a 6 inch wrist.

Have you considered a vintage Omega Geneve as an alternative to a Seamaster? Older models from the 1950s and early 1960s are beautiful classic watches and are generally priced lower than Seamasters. They were made in both calendar and no date models and in stainless steel, gold plated and solid gold cases. Here are photos of my 1959 reference 2903 with a manual caliber 268 movement.
Very nice! Our initial acquisition will likely be a Seamaster for serendipitous reasons.

Hi GreyTime,

I won't disagree with any of the information already provided, but did want to chime as I have done business with this seller and was very happy with the transaction. First off, the comments above are spot on regarding the seller's prices vs. the going private party market rate. I'd estimate that the sellers prices are 30% to 40% greater than what one could find by diligently monitoring the private seller forum here. You could probably do even better on eBay with patience. That said, being totally new to vintage watches when I made my purchase I still found the the seller to offer good value. Here's why:

1) The watch was freshly serviced by the seller. I know that some here will scoff at that as lots of sellers claim their watches are serviced. However, this seller was telling the truth. Upon receiving the watch I took it to my local Omega certified watchmaker anticipating that I'd need to have him service it. Instead, after inspecting it he gave it back to me and confirmed it had been fully serviced very recently.

2) All the major parts were original, and the case was sharp, as advertised. My local watchmaker confirmed the originality of the dial, hands, crown, movement, and case. The only replacement parts were the crystal and strap, both fully disclosed by the seller.

3) Over a year and a half after I bought the watch I ran into an issue with it (time has obscured my memory of the exact issue, but some internal component of the movement had failed). My local watchmaker quoted me ~$200 for the repair, but suggested I contact the seller first. I did, and the seller took the watch back, and rectified the issue at no cost to me.

Still being a novice when it comes to vintage watches, I would buy from this seller again. Given the relatively low prices of these watches (as luxury watches go, obviously not cheap on an absolute basis), I'd prefer to pay a few hundred dollars more to deal with an honest seller who stands behind his product. If we were talking vintage Rolex where a 50% price difference is thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, it would be a different story and I'd invest the time to be able to source a watch from a private seller. In this case, I look at the opportunity cost of doing that level of due diligence and prefer to outsource. YMMV.

Also, FYI - I believe the seller makes the straps. Hence the emphasis and flowery description.

TLDR - I'm lazy, and seller is reliable.
Edited:

#4) 1963 OMEGA SEAMASTER 14760 - SC 62 (DATE): $1,650
Circa: 1963
Caliber: 562
Jewel count: 24 jewels
Case model: 14760 - SC 62
Case material: Gold plated over solid stainless steel
Crystal: New acrylic crystal
Case Diameter excluding crown: 34mm
Case length lug tip to lug tip: 41mm
Hand type: dauphine (original)

Here is a stunning vintage Omega Seamaster Automatic watch. Professionally serviced Omega caliber 562 automatic movement running strong and accurate. Original signed crown. The factory original dial is in very good condition. Minor visible mark around the 5 o'clock index. Original set of dauphine hands. The original gold plated over solid stainless steel case is in very good original unpolished condition. Case model is 14760-SC 62 and measures 34mm across excluding the crown by 41mm lug tip to lug tip. The watch will come complete with a brand new 18mm high quality genuine leather strap.

Circling back to this one, would anyone care to further critique this watch?

Specific requests would be its general condition compared to what I should be able to expect to find. Less important, but helpful yet is what cost I may be able to expect to find a similar version for. Just any general comments, critiques, or praise is helpful. This one is at least still on my mind as a contender, but I'm still trying to absorb the intricacies you guys offer.

Also, I have searched and was unable to find: is there a dedicated thread showing nice vintage Seamasters in one thread?

Circling back to this one, would anyone care to further critique this watch?

Specific requests would be its general condition compared to what I should be able to expect to find. Less important, but helpful yet is what cost I may be able to expect to find a similar version for. Just any general comments, critiques, or praise is helpful. This one is at least still on my mind as a contender, but I'm still trying to absorb the intricacies you guys offer.

Also, I have searched and was unable to find: is there a dedicated thread showing nice vintage Seamasters in one thread?

It has a few small dings, maybe a very faint mark on the dial between 6 and 7, crown is authentic Omega replacement but slightly different than original crown. I would want to see a movement photo before buying. One is not given here. It looks very nice.

For my recent search I went through the Omega Vintage Page (https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/vintage-watches) and found every Seamaster reference I liked googled examples of each and created a catalog with images and close-ups of the Seamaster scripts this helped me identify redails. Googling a reference number and Omega often turned up Omega forum threads, but there is no one catch-all I can point you to.

I don't have any specific watches to recommend that is for sale, but here is some inspiration.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-constellations-show-and-tell.19186/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/sho...168-001-14777-14395-and-14396-allowed.109416/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-watches-show-and-tell.62595/

Have a closer look at these (my favourites)
168.017 (linen or fume dial, hard to find)

Pie pan, jumbo or constellation c case

I would try to find a brick bracelet also.

'Wagudc comment above'
Also good tip worth checking out, but very often missing photos on the omega vintage site.

'Wagudc comment above'
Also good tip worth checking out, but very often missing photos on the omega vintage site.

Agreed, the Omega Vintage site is not great for photos. But gives you reference numbers for Seamaster line from years of interest. Then you got to Google those numbers.

Have you considered this one?

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...ic-ref-ko-2627-8-sc-watch-caliber-355.126200/

Gold cap (which has that 2-tone affect you like), ‘52 Seamaster so right in your time frame, arrowhead markers and date at 6 up the game with rarity (love date at 6)- 35.3mm so on the larger side for these, OF seller so no bullshit.
Yes, I am considering that one as it is very nice and as you mentioned checks most of my boxes and is an OF seller as well. I was really hoping for the seahorse for several personal reasons which my is one of my main reservations with that particular watch, that may seem silly but it's a portion of my equation.
Edited:

Also, thanks for the links to browse nice options of vintage pieces. I am using the Omega Vintage site to the best of its capabilities, along with the internet in general when I find one that fits the bill.

It seems this slipped through the cracks and was missed while loading the initial photos, but here is a photo of the movement from the 1963 Seamaster above that I was circling back to:
Edited:

These are obviously the Omega Enthusiast. You're paying more to know everything on the watch is as correct as possible, the dial is original, and the case is only minimally polished, if at all. His watches are some of the most attractive vintage pieces available at retail.

@Edward53 pointed out that two of the crowns are incorrect; this likely indicates the correct crown is no longer available.