Forums Latest Members
  1. Dgercp Jul 6, 2016

Hi all. I am offered this Evil Nina dated 1966 with correct serial. Full set box/papers. It looks very pristine.

Two questions:
    1. Can iteration like this with raised "U" logo have these wide subdial hands or should they be only the narrow hands?

2. Is a price of €20k too much?

Thanks for any input :)

image.jpg
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 6, 2016

I think that if you're going to drop 20k euros on a vintage watch, you ought be able to answer these questions yourself.

bristnj, Larry S, Diabolik and 4 others like this.
  3. Dgercp Jul 6, 2016

Well, I guess so. But honestly I have spent quite a bit of time online trying to sort it out and have not had success. Seems the raised logo earler version has the narrow hand and printed U inside box goes with the hands shown here. So, yes still not sure. And yes would like to be sure before I drop a wad. Thus, this post. Sorry if I am wasting people's time

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2016

The subdial hand width is not what is making me scratch my head here. Also I think 20k is above market, a similar but not as nice of condition watch sold within the last month for $9k ($11,250 w/ premium) at Christies.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...3227&sid=1f568c15-daa9-4a00-a1d1-37a889361492

While it does appear that the one early model with AML that sold had smaller register hands, there is afiak no proof that those where correct. Also the minute hands seem off and bent. The early Christies seems flat, and the printed dial ones seem to have a central dome to them.

5. littlesheep81 Jul 6, 2016

6. Dgercp Jul 6, 2016

Thank you. I think I see what you mean, a bend in the minute hand just proximal to the start of the lume? Maybe not original or just damaged? But maybe biggest issue with this one is price. I thought 20k was high but have seen recent prices kind if all over the map. Maybe will pass on this. And as Modest proposal suggests, do more homework.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 6, 2016

Dgercp likes this.
  8. Dgercp Jul 6, 2016

9. littlesheep81 Jul 6, 2016

I've seen quite a few examples of the Nina (non evil) online with applied logo and thick subdial hands... Don't think applied logo and thick subdial hands are inconsistent. But I'm not an expert by any means. Just someone who spends too many hours googling...

The thing I find odd with the one in your photo is the colour of the subdial hands... Did Evil Nina come with blue sub hands? I've only ever seen black...

Dgercp and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Dgercp Jul 6, 2016

I have not seen blue either, but dang, they are nice!

11. littlesheep81 Jul 6, 2016

Even nicer when they're on the right watch ;)

12. Diabolik Jul 7, 2016

I don't have a problem with any of the hands. They are correct as would be the thin hands and dauphines on very early evil ninas. You will find thin and thick in both logos printed and applied. There is no strict rule.

However, i do have a problem with the register dials that seem to "spill over" and print which is off center (check edges).

As far as price, you will not find a nina at 10. I think you are looking at significantly more based on prices that I have seen, I think that 20K is not over the top when you consider the nina to be selling close to 50K. IMHO, the evil that went on christie's sale, was a bargain and cannot be used as the standard.

Edited Jul 7, 2016
    Dgercp likes this.
  13. zr4484 Jul 7, 2016

I second that i believe the sub register hands are questionable, probably from a later space compax in my opinion.

14. Dgercp Jul 7, 2016

Thanks, good eye! I think I see what you mean, on hour sub, 6 closer to edge than 9. And subdial edges seem a little heaped up I guess. Is this possible this just within range of error for a hand painted factory dial? Or do you suspect dial was worked on? And when you say hands correct, does that include the blue color of sub hands?

15. littlesheep81 Jul 7, 2016

As to price, I'm not sure the Nina is as high as 50k at non auction level? Most of the dealers I've asked recently have quoted about 30k-35k Eur give or take...

As for evil Nina the Christies example had a very roughed up bezel. It has been discussed in another thread here. There was one on eBay which went for US$9k or so shortly after the Christies auction which was also in less than pristine condition. Decent examples have definitely gone for higher... Although since transactions are relatively few it's hard to put a definitive market value on it.

The UGs at watches of Knightsbridge did reasonably well. No ninas there though. And recently a well known collector sold his exotic compax (the silver dial t shirt one) on chronotrader asking 27k eur I think. Again, only helpful by analogy but I think it contributes somewhat to general knowledge of the wider UG market.

16. Diabolik Jul 7, 2016

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...7757&sid=4737c5d9-5aa0-41bf-be1d-6b7e73af3c21

Register hands look a tad short but that could be due to dials not being "quite right" ... As there is no consensus, and UG would chop and change depending on availability of such parts, sub hands could well be right as they are UG and they are for an identical caliber. Could be service replacements? IMHO they do not seem out of place and I would not be put off by those hands.

Dgercp likes this.
  17. Dgercp Jul 7, 2016

Seller sent some more pics out of sunlight and says sub hands definitely black. Maybe I try to bargain price some more :). Appreciate greatly everyone's input.

Cheers,
    David

image.jpeg
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 7, 2016

I'm not sure how you can call the last 2 sold at auction going for 9k an aberration. I think it's the market speaking. If any watch appeared to have been subject to market manipulation over the past few years it is this one. Asking price by dealers means little.

I'm not an expert at all on these but the similarities to known market manipulation in classic cars which I know well is very high here.

I've got no skin in the game but pricing on these right now seems volatile and I would not be looking at these as an investment until sold prices settle a bit.

19. Diabolik Jul 7, 2016

if a 70s rolex daytona "paul newman" can sell for 100K and an heuer 2446M third exec autavia for close to 50K, then a rare UG compax is well under priced. Far fewer and far nicer than any of those. 9K? I would buy them all day at that ...:)

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 7, 2016

I see your point but Exotic dialed Daytonas are far from common, and I still see Pandas listed a Newmans. We have a saying in cars. "Rarity does not mean desirability. "

Look at Rolex 1655 Orange hand explorer II's aka the Steve McQueen. How high did those get a few years ago and what are they worth now? I'll give you a hint a lot less.

A Nina at a super high profile auction that set some new high price points went for what appeared to be below market has to be taken into consideration. Yes it went first which did not do it any favors, but you still have to ask why it did not go higher with those buyers in the room which included watch investment fund buyers.

wristpirate likes this.