Forums Latest Members

Thin vs. thick needles of the later Compax

1. Mick Tock Feb 25, 2014

Initially I was attracted by the bold, rectangular needles on the sub dials of certain Universal Genève chronographs.

On my dream watch, the Aero-Compax 24h, these lumed small hands are very well accompanied by other bold, black and white design elements (ref. 890100/01):

[​IMG]

So my first Universal Genève watch had to feature these needles and chrono second hand with lume. This is a ref. 885103/01, kind of reversed "Nina Rindt":

[​IMG]

Recently I acquired a variant of this Compax with a blue dial and bezel insert:

[​IMG]

Before the purchase I researched this model. All photos I could find showed this watch with the bold needles opposed to my piece featuring thin needles and a chrono second hand without lume.

On this UG forum I found an interesting image by GIGI showing two blue variants of the Compax:

[​IMG]
    The lower watch again has thick needles, but the top blue/white/silver version shows thin needles, while the chrono second hand equals mine exactly.

I would like to learn more about these different executions. Which came first? When was the transition? Were they applied simultaneously over some time?

Sure, providing the reference and serial numbers of my blue watch would help. However, the back is covered by the original "WATER RESISTANT" sticker, which I do not want to peel off.

Further informations, photos, catalogue images, etc. are really appreciated.

Cheers,

Mick

Darlinboy, Diabolik and HeuerLoon like this.
  2. cozzani1978 Feb 25, 2014

Hi Mick,
    now i can say that the reference number of the blue dial / white compax is: 885108 - case number 28927XX

[​IMG]
    Courtesy R.J.

Your Aero-Compax is amazing!
    to complete the parade of compax allow me to post the only configuration that is still missing ........... white dial and compax blacks ;-)

[​IMG]
    P.S. sorry for my english

3. Mick Tock Feb 26, 2014

Hi,

Thank you very much for the infos, which are in line with the numbers on my other UG watches.

Yes, I know that I'm missing this one -- with thin or with thick needles :)

Cheers,

Mick

4. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur Mar 12, 2014

Revisiting this post I can just add some pictures of my reference 885108 for comparison. Firstly, I call mine the "Exotic" dial Compax. Well we have the Nina Rindt and the reverse Nina Rindt so why not the Exotic. The dial is just that with the metallic dark blue that sparkles when it catches the sunlight and the red accents at the hour markers make this rather Exotic to my eyes. My example has the thin register hands and the crown is incorrect (needs replacing). It is a little jewel in my collection and enjoy wearing it.
    regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com
    172 UG Compax Blue no1.jpg 172 UG Compax Blue no2.jpg 172 UG Compax Blue no3.jpg 172 UG Compax Blue no4.jpg

5. woodwkr2 Mar 12, 2014

Superb pics as usual, Paul. Is it on sting ray?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2014

That's awesome, the sunburst blue completely transforms it, the peeled blue Stingray strap looks great on it too

7. Mick Tock Mar 12, 2014

Hello Paul,

Thank you very much for showing us these gorgeous photos of your great watch. It's only the second example with thin needles I saw.

Thanks also for the reference number. Is there a minor number like in "885108-1"?

"Exotic blue" would be a bit more significant. This term would also allow to distinguish this model from the other blue model, the "exotic silver"?

It seems that your watch shows similar marks on the white sub dial as mine:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mick

aeroengineer likes this.
  8. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur Mar 12, 2014

Mick - Exotic Blue is a fine name for this execution and I will adopt that name for the future. Maybe it will stick :)
    My example does not have an additional reference number just 885108 and serial 2,892,9xx.
    As for the band I blieve it Stingray also know as galuchat. It came with the watch and I think its a good match however I would say this is made made material to look like galuchat.
    regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com

9. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur Mar 12, 2014

Mick - my example also has some fine marks on the sub dials. Maybe the same, slights shakey watchmake as yours.
    regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com

10. billfactor Mar 12, 2014

Paul, Mick -

Mine has the wider sub-hands with the lume in it... no submarks on the subdials. I wonder if it's one of the reasons they changed it? Exotic Blue is definitely a good name. I call my Nina my Nina, for obvious reasons, and the Blue, usually just the Blue UG... but I think Exotic Blue makes more sense. Here's a few pics of mine, two of which are on a custom strap. That sunburst really makes it.

blue 1.jpg blue 2.jpg blue 3.jpg

11. billfactor Mar 12, 2014

PS - Paul, Your second photo of your Exotic Blue... without that T shape. Man, if they'd made it like that this thing would be... 200% perfect.

12. cozzani1978 Mar 13, 2014

An high res scan of mine…….

JAT_4469.jpg

13. Mick Tock Mar 13, 2014

Thank you very much for this huge image behind the link.

Could you please tell us something about the metal bracelet I saw already in another of your photos.

Regards,

Mick

beppetuesday likes this.
  14. cozzani1978 Mar 13, 2014

Hi!
    the bracelet is a JB Champion for Universal Geneve, with UG logo on the clasp.

Bye

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 13, 2014

I believe you might be on to something, Bill. Thin hands/subdial markings, thick hands/no subdial markings.

Notice on this one, two correct thick hands (with the pointy end) - no dial markings. One with a blunt end - subdial markings

cDSC_0248aa.jpg

beppetuesday and aeroengineer like this.
  16. woodwkr2 Mar 13, 2014

What's the explanation for the subdial markings then? Coincidence=Causation?

17. billfactor Mar 13, 2014

LouS,

I don't know - mine are all the flat blunt ended ones. no subdial markings. I'll take a high-res photo tomorrow.

...anyone know where I can source one or three of these UG bracelets? JB Champion or Gay Freres? :-P

B

18. apan Oops, I forgot the "J" when I registered.... Jun 23, 2014

Bumping this thread with a recent pickup as well as an example that sold on eBay

Picked up a black dial Compax with applied logo and needle subdial hands. Serial is 2354XXX. Needs a service but I'm thrilled with the watch.

The second picture is an example of the same reference (885103) with serial 2355XXX. Sorry for the low res, I saved it down from eBay after the auction ended.

My example has light marks on the subdials - hard to see them in the pictures as the crystal is crazed, but they are there. Seems to follow the trend that the earlier needle hands may have had dragging issues?

Also, I wonder if we can get enough serial numbers to estimate production numbers?

UG Compax.jpg $(KGrHqJ,!rQFGtufRblKBRu357qiLg~~60_35.JPG
    CajunTiger and HeuerLoon like this.
  19. Clockworld Feb 7, 2017

Lovely Universal Geneve Compax 885108.
    I currently own a Nina and now looking for one of these Blue 885108
    If anyone can help me located one, are the specks the same as on the Nina on this Universal Geneve Compax 885108
    Thanks
    Olivier

20. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 7, 2017

Stunning example. Dibs on this beauty!