an eBay UK Ed White purchase - some thoughts, photos and questions

Appreciate the closer pictures! I’m changing my assessment of the hands based on #4 and #6.

I’m inclined to agree these aren’t painted.

Appreciate the closer pictures! I’m changing my assessment of the hands based on #4 and #6.

I’m inclined to agree these aren’t painted.
thank you for the updated assessment.

Hmmm, this is rather odd. i have handled many vintage watches over the years, but the only examples of the use of shoulderless spring bars in 'no lug hole' cases have been on (potentially one-owner/family) Speedmasters: a 145.022-71 and now this 105.003-65. Rather makes me think they were meant to be there... perhaps?

No, but these often come on what are known as quick release spring bars. They have a small "handle" on them, that you have to slide to retract the plunger, and often the spring bar gets turned around inside the end link, so you can't see the handle. You will have to get a loupe and inspect the area inside the end links - it won't be obvious but it's likely there.

When you get this serviced, have the watchmaker stabilize the lume on the hands - obvious crack here in the hour hand lume:

When I find one hand with cracked lume, I automatically stabilize all three hands.

Cheers, Al

When I find one hand with cracked lume, I automatically stabilize all three hands.

Cheers, Al
Thanks Al, this is a really good shout. Hour marker plots, also? Does the stabilizer itself age with time, and perhaps change the lume colour? difficult to know in the long-term I suppose and will be subject to all sorts of variables.

Thanks Al, this is a really good shout. Hour marker plots, also? Does the stabilizer itself age with time, and perhaps change the lume colour? difficult to know in the long-term I suppose and will be subject to all sorts of variables.

Doing the dial is a different thing - it will be visible if not done very carefully. On the hands the clear binder is applied to the back of the hand - doesn't change the appearance of the hands at all.

This watch looks all original and exactly in the condition I like finding them. Used, but not abused.

This watch looks all original and exactly in the condition I like finding them. Used, but not abused.
It's heartening to see that eBay is still a place to find 'good deals', for gamblers.

It's heartening to see that eBay is still a place to find 'good deals'.
Oh yeah.. "Guilty" of finding quite a few of those myself... 😁

So I was totally wrong with my thoughts :whipped:
You have a great original EW, huge congrats and wear in good health 👍
Best Hajo