Amazing Re-Dial, would you spot it?

Hello together,

I was browsing for vintage Omegas last week. And stumbled upon this Seamaster Chronometer, sold a while ago by Vintage Portfolio.

They are an Austrian dealer in vintage watches. As I am from Germany, I do see their listings a lot. They sell a lot of re-dialed and restored Omegas, often in funky colors as light blue, frog green or dark green. But it's disclosed in the product description that these aren't original Omega configurations but custom ones. So nothing wrong to me here.

The Seamaster Chronometer I saw on their website had a describtion translated to "Dial has been completely reworked by our dial restorer with care and great effort, using the latest reprinting and restoration methods."

To be honest, if I didn't know that, I woul not be sure if I would have spotted it to be a redial.

How about you? And if you see signs of a redial here, what are they?

Heres the link for more photos and the descrption: https://vintage-portfolio.com/de/shop/omega/seamaster/wonderful-omega-seamaster-chronometer-36mm/

Yours,

Nils

Omega-Seamaster-Chronometer-a1507-1.jpg Omega-Seamaster-Chronometer-a1507-2.jpg

I wouldn’t have either, but I have read on various occasions that the person behind this website had been banned from OF various times. Not sure why, as this precedes my time on the forum, but it doesn’t inspire great confidence.

I am not experienced with the model, but there are two issues that would give me pause. The Turler signature appears to have some flaws, and there is what appears to be signs of radial polishing of the dial, which I would not expect on an original dial surface.

I wouldn’t have either, but I have read on various occasions that the person behind this website had been banned from OF various times. Not sure why, as this precedes my time on the forum, but it doesn’t inspire great confidence.
Interesting

I am not experienced with the model, but there are two issues that would give me pause. The Turler signature appears to have some flaws, and there is what appears to be signs of radial polishing of the dial, which I would not expect on an original dial surface.
Thank you. Noticed the radial motive too and thought that's unusaul. But didn't draw a connection to it being a redial.

I have some doubts about this whole story. The dial seems to have a lot of scratches, spots, and paint loss, which would be very unusual if it were recently refinished.

Vintage Portfolio. They are an Austrian dealer in vintage watches.
If you aren’t aware, that is a dealer I would not recommend doing any business with. They have been banned repeatedly from this forum, using a different name each time.

I don't think that dial is refinished. Maybe they made some mistakes with the description 😀)

If you aren’t aware, that is a dealer I would not recommend doing any business with. They have been banned repeatedly from this forum, using a different name each time.
I didn't know that. Actually thought about buying a watch from him a couple times. Especially an IWC. But didn't reach out to him as I decided for another watch. Thank you for warning me!

very unusual if it were recently refinished
I don't think that dial is refinished. Maybe they made some mistakes with the description
Interesting thought. I didn't question the description, as a refreshed dial wouldn't have a positive impact on the value of the watch.

The dial seems to have a lot of scratches, spots, and paint loss,
If one was attempting to create a convincing looking dial, then why not add in some distress marks to take the focus away from the reprinted dial. Given the tone here, none of this sounds valid. And why duplicate the Türler retailer's name? Or the lesser seen non coat hanger S?

The whole thing feels like misdirection.

I wouldn't purchase anything from that seller nor would I assume that every representation made in the listing is accurate.

I’m also throwing my hat into “I think this is an incorrect description and the dial is original” corner.

The font looks correct to me, these dials can be found with radial brushing, the lume looks aged and original and the overall dial seems to have natural wear consistent with an original dial. Other than the description by a suspect seller, I see nothing to flag this as a redial

I’m also throwing my hat into “I think this is an incorrect description and the dial is original” corner.

The font looks correct to me, these dials can be found with radial brushing, the lume looks aged and original and the overall dial seems to have natural wear consistent with an original dial. Other than the description by a suspect seller, I see nothing to flag this as a redial
I concur - IMO an original dial and the radial brushing is well known on these dials...

Many thanks for all the replies. Interesting to read that the consensus of the later messages is that the description does not match the watch. That seems plausible to me.

I wrote a mail to Vintage Portfolio, asking if the description is indeed correct. Or if there was a mistake. Here's his answer, translated, as the conversation was in German:

"I remember the watch well. There was something very "strange" about the dial - there were concentric circles on the top layer of lacquer. We suspected that these circles had been added later (30 years ago), i.e. that the dial had been tampered with. Unfortunately, you can't see this in the photos. The Türler lettering also seemed "strange".

The above explanation was also in the original advertisement, which is now about six years old. The sentence "The dial was completely reworked by our dial restorer with care and using the latest reprinting and restoration methods at great expense. " was subsequently changed to this sentence by an automated system change in all advertisements. This is of course technically incorrect. (our dial restorer did not touch the dial)"