Forums Latest Members

ST2 Ultraman - Service dial would you buy it

1. BatDad May 5, 2019

I’m on the fence about getting a ST2 - (I was on the waitlist and didn’t get the call) on the 2nd hand market - but I’m concerned the second subdial will bug me too much.

How much does it bother you?

For those of you with the ST2 - If Omega offered a service dial which didn’t have the Ultraman head in the seconds sun dial.

Would you buy it?

Edited May 5, 2019
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 5, 2019

In a heartbeat.

In hand it’s not noticeable though.

Tet and BatDad like this.
  3. bz0123 May 5, 2019

No.

4. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! May 5, 2019

That’s what made me not want the watch. That head bothered me. If it didn’t have the head. Would have been all over that watch.

mblease and BatDad like this.
  5. Pun May 5, 2019

Probably yes and no. Present dial doesn't bother me at all. It's practically invisible to the extent that may irritate me or others, unless one has very acute perceptions. Yes, since it would be much nearer to the original and also I like simplicity in watches.

C6254F6A-2664-4450-816E-2FC2F6FB7272.jpeg
  6. Evitzee May 5, 2019

It's invisible to me, I don't even think about it. I'll bet if you showed the watch to 1000 non-watch people and asked them if they saw anything 'different' on the dial with the naked eye you'd get 0 correct, or close to it.

Pun likes this.
  7. Vega Mike May 6, 2019

Most likely not. Before taking delivery of the watch I thought the blob would bother me and would have preferred it didn’t exist. But since owning it I have never really noticed it.

Pun likes this.
  8. speedyproftw May 6, 2019

I agree with those who have already said the blob isn't really noticeable at all. I honestly forget it's there but to me it was never a big deal. Just Omega (and Fratello) having fun, so I'm all for that.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 6, 2019

Don’t think a service dial wouldn’t have the ultramen head.
    Don’t think they would dilute the LE appeal by releasing the same dial

Would have made a few hundred extra only in my line of thinking.

Just a wish is it @BatDad ;)

At the end of the day it’s one hell of a LE
    DON
    Step dial
    Applied Omega Logo

Ian_km, lando, Hans the Wolf and 2 others like this.
  10. BatDad May 6, 2019

I imagine there’s some deal there with whomever owns the Ultraman licensing - so yes - More of an ‘what if’ question : if there was demand for a cleaner dial would it be something Omega would consider. In my mind with only 2012 pieces the fiscal value to Omega is small.

If it did happen, you’d be able to tell the difference pretty quickly, but I’m inclined to agree it’s unlikely.

11. lillatroll May 6, 2019

Honestly, I very rarely notice it, only if I want to look at it specifically, which I don t. it does not spoil the overall look of the watch.

12. queriver May 6, 2019

For those that may not like Ultraman's head on the 9 o'clock sub-dial, here's a variation of the OP's question, for the lume experts:
    Assuming the raised area in the shape of Ultraman's head consists only of clear lume, i.e. there's no raised metal under the lume, how hard would it be to remove the lume without damaging the underlying dial? Could the lume be dissolved in a solution that wouldn't affect the dial paint or would it require mechanical removal?

13. Jantar May 6, 2019

I had an Ultraman delivered to my AD but ultimately took a pass on it, not because of the blob but I found myself very annoyed at the running seconds hand. It bothered me that the 3 sub-dial hands were not the same. I didn't find the blob to be noticeable while on the wrist. I was also mildly bothered by the stripe on the orange seconds hand. Anyway, this one was not for me.

14. Hoddspur May 6, 2019

I never notice it on mine unless it’s in certain lighting conditions. The Ultraman head is what really makes the watch anyway and is certainly no worse than a black and white cartoon dog lying face down thinking about something! The ST2 is one of the best LEs ever.

15. FlyingSnoopy May 6, 2019

The only thing that I would change it would be the nato strap that, in my opinion, is a bit too loud and it takes away from the watch.
    A black nato or bracelet would suit it better.
    I do not mind the ultraman face...
    Cheers