AI pollution on the forum

It’s just a trickle at the moment, but it seems like AI bots are beginning to have a presence on this forum.

The fluent grammar, correct spelling, and chatty tone, in an otherwise brainless post, though, are hallmarks of AI. ...

I just found my new custom sub-title :D
(except for the correct spelling).

Like 4
Beyond the Forum, I've seen an increasing stream of "documentaries" on YouTube on a wide range of subjects, with narrations that are clearly AI-generated. On some, I believe just the voice is AI-generated as it parrots a human-prepared script, but on others, I think both the script and voice are AI-generated...it's these that can be non-sensical to the point of being comical.

Yeah, YouTube has a problem with AI generated videos, especially “science” ones. My favorite real science YouTuber did a video on the problem a while back.

The scary thing is that while you and I won’t be fooled, you can’t say the same for a majority of the viewers.

Like 3
Interesting stuff. I wasn't aware AI was a problem on forums. When the OP called out that posting I was dubious. However confirmed quickly.

…So he hits report and under reason “this person is forcing me into contract with him and denying my first amendment right to free speech”

I didn’t realize that the US constitution was mandatorily imposed on other countries

Like 4
It’s just a trickle at the moment, but it seems like AI bots are beginning to have a presence on this forum.IMG_0921.jpeg
It’s possible that this comment is garden-variety human inanity. The fluent grammar, correct spelling, and chatty tone, in an otherwise brainless post, though, are hallmarks of AI. The watch in question does not have a blue dial and no one mentioned having a father who worked at IBM in the thread, but some other parroted details, such as the engraving, have been worked into the comment. Is it a bot, or did a real user feed the thread into Chat-GPT for whatever reason? I’d think it would be hard for a totally automated bot to create an account here. What’s going on?

YouTube video comments sections are filled with bot comments now too. Advocating for certain sellers of fake watches and all kinds of nastiness

How do we know it is not cats making these posts?

I have evidence:
IMG_3419 1.png

Like 13
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. AI only wishes to raise the quality of life for all species.
Your culture will adapt to service US.
11oy8g.jpg

Like 8
I didn’t realize that the US constitution was mandatorily imposed on other countries
Of course it is! As is (American) English the official language of the planet. The problem with many who do invoke the US Constitution so quickly, is they rarely read it- and if at all, only the first line or two of each amendment- there’s some stipulations and nuance in there.

Like 4
Interesting stuff. I wasn't aware AI was a problem on forums. When the OP called out that posting I was dubious. However confirmed quickly.
The irony of you commenting on this thread… :whistling:

Like 3
How do we know it is not cats making these posts?

I have evidence:
x1791140-aef338477abf566bd35a6dfa41b9ae43.jpg.pagespeed.ic.e76V53umxp.webp
CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Like 2
The irony of you commenting on this thread… :whistling:
It’s in the meter, isn’t it- almost a specific type of rhythm that is uncanny.

Like 4
It’s in the meter, isn’t it- almost a specific type of rhythm that is uncanny.

AI would pick an avatar. Sure give away.

Of course it is! As is (American) English the official language of the planet. The problem with many who do invoke the US Constitution so quickly, is they rarely read it- and if at all, only the first line or two of each amendment- there’s some stipulations and nuance in there.

I’m sure that many Americans are surprised to find out that most people in the UK also speak American

Like 3
Beyond the Forum, I've seen an increasing stream of "documentaries" on YouTube on a wide range of subjects, with narrations that are clearly AI-generated. On some, I believe just the voice is AI-generated as it parrots a human-prepared script, but on others, I think both the script and voice are AI-generated...it's these that can be non-sensical to the point of being comical.

From what I understand there is some sort of new AI voice algorithm that listens to your previous YouTube videos and learns how you talk and what you say from it. You feed it some sort of General script idea, kind of like bullet points or highlights, and then it generates voice for the length of the video you have prepared.

I don't know anything else about it, this is something that was shared with me by someone that makes crappy YouTube videos.

I have seen a ton of videos that are clearly AI narrated as well. In another decade, we won't have to wear Omega watches to be special, we'll just have to be real people....:cool:
Edited:

Like 2
In another decade, we won't have to wear Omega watches to be special, we'll just have to be real people....:cool:

Not trying to be a tin foil wearing hat guy but in all seriousness I'm afraid we'll have bigger problems.
Everyone seems so concerned with advancing it, but not controlling or moderating it.
It is getting real good, real fast. It can be used as a great tool for sure. No doubt.
But if left unchecked that could be....problematic.

Like 7
Yeah, YouTube has a problem with AI generated videos, especially “science” ones. My favorite real science YouTuber did a video on the problem a while back.

The scary thing is that while you and I won’t be fooled, you can’t say the same for a majority of the viewers.

Yes, it is really, really, really bad, and just another way in which YouTube has gone from a valuable resource when the content creators actually cared about the content and were a relatively small group, to an absolute disaster filled with misinformation as monetization has become so much more important than content quality, and it has caused a creator flood.

I don't really care about a 30-something who is already a fully-fledged and graduated expert in pseudoscience and believes the earth is flat and that we didn't land on the moon. Problem is when those videos start working their way into my 6-year-old's YouTube feed because he is watching videos on Earth sciences, Mt St Helens, geology/Paleontology/biology/&c &c &c. He does not currently have the ability to question all of the content.

I keep YouTube to a minimum and do my best to make sure that the videos he watches contain accurate information, but the reality is we live in a society where this current generation (Alpha) is being raised by screens. Any parents that do not have the capability of questioning the content and are not at all monitoring what their children is watching (probably the majority) runs the risk of accelerating the spread of pseudoscience to an unprecedented and previously unobtainable degree.
Edited:

Like 6
Not trying to be a tin foil wearing hat guy but in all seriousness I'm afraid we'll have bigger problems.
Everyone seems so concerned with advancing it, but not controlling or moderating it.
It is getting real good, real fast. It can be used as a great tool for sure. No doubt.
But if left unchecked that could be....problematic.

My plan is to move to Mars and then join a resistance force geared at preventing Elon Musk/NASA from actually terraforming the planet. I'll live in an old lava tube in a secret base, and if anyone sets up a skyhook, I'll blow it up.

:confused::D:cool:

Like 2
My plan is to move to Mars and then join a resistance force geared at preventing Elon Musk/NASA from actually terraforming the planet. I'll live in an old lava tube in a secret base, and if anyone sets up a skyhook, I'll blow it up.

:confused::D:cool:
Can I come? Lol

Like 1