Forums Latest Members

After my omega dropped down into pieces, my heart is broken

1. Probably Aug 26, 2019

In the morning I just casually put on my watch in the wrist, and all of a sudden it falls down directly hit on the floor.

It is a transparent caseback of Speedmaster co-axial 9300, less than 1 month new...

Now I would like to ask how much do I need to pay for the caseback maintenance?

Hopefully the price of charge won't break my heart again. :(

2. Pvt-Public Aug 26, 2019

A simple phone call to an Omega AD or Boutique could have had you an answer in minutes, instead of waiting hours for a smart ass answer like this.

3. tyrantlizardrex Aug 26, 2019

So it's under warranty...

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 26, 2019

Warranty in Oz doesn't cover accidental damage, don't know about ROW.

Foo2rama and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. tyrantlizardrex Aug 26, 2019

Ah sorry Jim! I thought he was saying the caseback glass fell out... ::facepalm1::

To the OP, at least eleventybillion pounds... or as @Pvt-Public more wisely said, whatever the AD/OB tells you the retail price is. :whistling:

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 26, 2019

In USA customer service is so absurd, if you made a fuss I bet they would fix it for free.

So good absurd from a customer point of view.

EdtheAussie, nonuffinkbloke and ICONO like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 26, 2019

If it fell hard enough to break the case back there may be more damage inside :whistling:
    Make sure you mentioned you dropped it.

8. Probably Aug 26, 2019

Yes, I dropped it just from around 1.2 m high to the floor. Didn't expect the durablity of the sapphire back is so fragile...
    Please give me some easy word mate

9. Probably Aug 26, 2019

I made several phone calls, and everyone is mentioning you need to bring it to me. I just would like to compare to have a rough feeling and then do the mathematics...

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 26, 2019

Sorry no easy words - 1.2 that’s .2 over the standard test which is only 1 meter on a hardwood service

ISO 1413 shock-resistant standardEdit
    The International Organization for Standardization issued a standard for shock-resistant watches, which many countries have adopted. ISO 1413 Horology—Shock-resistant watches specifies the minimum requirements and describes the corresponding method of test. It is intended to allow homologation tests rather than the individual control of all watches of a production batch. It is based on the simulation of the shock received by a watch on falling accidentally from a height of 1 m on to a horizontal hardwood surface.

In practice shock resistance is generally tested by applying two shocks (one on the 9 o'clock side, and one to the crystal and perpendicular to the face). The shock is usually delivered by a hard plastic hammer mounted as a pendulum, so as to deliver a measured amount of energy, specifically, a 3 kg hammer with an impact velocity of 4.43 m/s (This will deliver approximately 30 Joules of energy to the watch). The watch must keep its accuracy to +/- 60 seconds/day as measured before the test.

mayankyadav and apsm100 like this.
  11. Probably Aug 26, 2019

------------------------------------------------
    My heart has broken into pieces.

As an engineer worked in the other industry, I feel disppointed that the watch makers are not driving themselves further but just stick to the homologation basis standard. I have thought the good company should have the much higher company standard not only to sharp their product but also create their own brand value as well.

12. tyrantlizardrex Aug 26, 2019

So it’s the engineers fault that you were not more careful in the way you handled a piece of valuable precision engineering?

lando likes this.
  13. Probably Aug 26, 2019

For our industry we couldn't blame for the misuse of our customers. :(
    But anyway, I really don't think it is a big drop, just a very normal occasion and I didn't expect that. In the beginning I cares more about the front due to its ceramic bezel, but my back glass is broken even with the Nato strap beneath...

e.g. I drop off my cell phone several times a year, with the normal case outside, I never have any problems, no mattery whether the screen comes down or the other angles.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 26, 2019

A drop is a drop, you could drop it 20 times at the same height at the same place and not have a issue. It’s the way sometimes

PS NATOs are responsible for most nearly drops I have with watches. Last one I kicked it across the room before it hit the floor to gentle the blow from the drop on the floor. ( Funny as misses STANDY saw it all and thought WTF is he doing )

janice&fred, lando, OzOmega and 4 others like this.
  15. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 26, 2019

I just want to get my username in here with the OP's.

Woops, CdnWatchDoc, BenBagbag and 5 others like this.
  16. Canuck Aug 26, 2019

If this was a clean crack, and there are no glass fragment floating around in the complicated movement, there is a chance that all that needs to be done is to replace the crystal. If this goes to Omega, chances are you are in for a lot of expense! Whether this is an inexpensive lesson or an expensive lesson, hopefully you will have learned from it. With the crystal case back exposing the movement, why on earth would you put a NATO strap on it?

lando likes this.
  17. Probably Aug 26, 2019

Initially expect some protection than nothing, plus more fancy, younger generation appearance

But the reality taught me a lesson, Nato for the military use is more advertising than practical.

I was aware the watch is high price services, but didn't expect it comes so soon with out any psychological prepration.

18. Probably Aug 26, 2019

It seems like your Nato protects your watch, not mine.

But Omega next time need to really consider re-enhance the rigidity and I am fine of advertising with bullet proof moon watch...

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 26, 2019

It wouldn’t have fallen in space :whistling:

lando, OzOmega, joe band and 7 others like this.
  20. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 26, 2019

And no one would hear you scream...

iamnuts, lando, OzOmega and 6 others like this.