After 55 year I've finally decided to figure out what I have 145022-68ST

Speedmaster Professional
145.022-68ST
Ser # 27325859
This was a graduation gift from my father in 1969 and has seen minimual use and mostly stored. I was not sure the exact model until yesterday when I brought the watch to a local watchmaker who opened the case. I'd like some advise please. I am probably going to give it to one of my boys but would like to know the following:
The watch 100% original and has never been serviced, cleaned or authenticated so should that be done locally in US or sent to Omega? What should that cost including replacement of push button?
What is its value for insurance purposes or if I were to sell it?
Any other advise, information or ideas welcome.
TIA
IMG_3827.jpg IMG_3821.jpg IMG_3823.jpg IMG_3824.jpg IMG_3826.jpg IMG_3811.jpg IMG_3812.jpg

Like 33
Don’t send it to Omega. They will modernize it and ruin its collectible value. If you can tell us where you’re located, we can probably recommend an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account and experience servicing vintage Omegas. Expect a full service to cost between $750 and $1,000. Go to Speedmaster101.com and look at the price chart to get an idea of the value. Keep in mind that the values shown are for the watch head only. The 1039 bracelet by itself also has considerable value, likely in the $1,500+ range.

Like 11
With a sympathetic service from a watchmaker wel versed in vintage watches, that’s going to be a stunning example.
Easily $8k. If not slightly more. There does appear to be some corrosion on the inner caseback which will hold it back slightly but it’s still a very nice example.

Like 3
Speedmaster Professional
145.022-68ST
Ser # 27325859
This was a graduation gift from my father in 1969 and has seen minimual use and mostly stored. I was not sure the exact model until yesterday when I brought the watch to a local watchmaker who opened the case. I'd like some advise please. I am probably going to give it to one of my boys but would like to know the following:
The watch 100% original and has never been serviced, cleaned or authenticated so should that be done locally in US or sent to Omega? What should that cost including replacement of push button?
What is its value for insurance purposes or if I were to sell it?
Any other advise, information or ideas welcome.
TIA
IMG_3827.jpg IMG_3821.jpg IMG_3823.jpg IMG_3824.jpg IMG_3826.jpg IMG_3811.jpg IMG_3812.jpg
Nice example, shame about the pusher, try to find an original replacement. Originality is critical for value retention here so keep it out of Omega’s hands, they’ll replace parts. Also note your 1039 bracelet is valuable also. Explain to your kids that MUST keep it original and keep it moving regularly. My guess is at least $8k if you can find the pusher. Enjoy!

When you received it in 1969 were you aware of the moon landing connection? Just curious about people's real world reactions at the time versus our modern perspective.

Like 6
8k is a fair ask when it is all cleaned and up together. Not a risk free procedure by the way - mess it up and you could destroy value.

If you are selling, dont touch it.

If you were to offer it to a dealer, I suspect his offer would be around $5,000.

Any collector right now would pay $6,500 - no brainer

A motivated private buyer, who doesn't care about the risks, might give $7000 /7250.

Any more than that would be placing value on the story. (We have all done that).

Mind you, Speedmasters are currently in a thin market, and sometimes are not selling. (Not this one)

This one will sell at these levels, and I expect you have a full inbox by now - be picky and sell to a high post count member in your country - make it easy on yourself. Also check references from other high post members.

If it were my watch I would hold out for as much as I could as it is very attractive, a rare example, and a superb history.

<<And before any member complains about back door sales post, get a life! This is an obviously genuine request for help - and the forum would be poorer without it>>

Like 32
Super nice watch, thanks for sharing it with us. A previous poster mentioned "corrosion" on the caseback... its not corrosion, its just the oring that has vulcanized and will clean right off. The only thing I can add to what Spacefruit posted is that if you decide to keep it, which I hope you do, then it should be serviced straight away by a highly reputable watchmaker that is experienced with vintage Speedmasters. A few such watchmakers are active on this form, such as Archer Watches http://archerwatches.ca , Adam Lewis of https://www.lewiswatchco.com/ and Simon Freese of http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/ These are just three highly reputable references. It will cost you in the ballpark of $500 USD, which is money well spent. As mentioned the bracelet is worth quite a bit, and you way want to get a nice strap for the watch, and store the original bracelet, your choice. I like to wear my vintage Speedies with their original bracelets but I'm pretty easy on my watches.

Like 3
None of my business, but I’d make a strong case against selling. What an heirloom. And if you are going to sell, unless it’s a financial urgency, what’s the rush? We are almost definitely going back to the Moon in a few years—the whole country is going to be “Moon crazy” when that happens—and I imagine a c.1969 Speedmaster (the original “Moonwatch”) is only going to climb in value relative to all that.

Like 3
Wow, sentimental piece anyway, don’t send it to Omega, they’ll ruin it with modern replacement parts. Find a trustworthy watchmaker and give it a service is the better option in my opinion.

Super nice watch, thanks for sharing it with us. A previous poster mentioned "corrosion" on the caseback... it’s not corrosion, it’s just the oring that has vulcanized and will clean right off. .

I don’t know how you can be certain of that from one picture. Often what seems like it may be corrosion is absolutely just dirt, grime and the remnants of a gastket. In this case I’d certainly be concerned there was actual corrosion on the inner lip.
Either way, it’s another reason for a full service and case clean (not polish) to determine.

49B866F0-6E9B-497F-AAD6-BD268C6D36D0.jpeg

Like 3
Don’t send it to Omega. They will modernize it and ruin its collectible value. If you can tell us where you’re located, we can probably recommend an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account and experience servicing vintage Omegas. Expect a full service to cost between $750 and $1,000. Go to Speedmaster101.com and look at the price chart to get an idea of the value. Keep in mind that the values shown are for the watch head only. The 1039 bracelet by itself also has considerable value, likely in the $1,500+ range.
Thank you for your advise!

With a sympathetic service from a watchmaker wel versed in vintage watches, that’s going to be a stunning example.
Easily $8k. If not slightly more. There does appear to be some corrosion on the inner caseback which will hold it back slightly but it’s still a very nice example.
Thank you!

Nice example, shame about the pusher, try to find an original replacement. Originality is critical for value retention here so keep it out of Omega’s hands, they’ll replace parts. Also note your 1039 bracelet is valuable also. Explain to your kids that MUST keep it original and keep it moving regularly. My guess is at least $8k if you can find the pusher. Enjoy!
Thank you- I remember exactly where and when pusher popped out (wasn't first time). I looked forever for it on my hands and knees in my walk-in closet. Knowing what I know now I should have looked for it forever 'and a day'!!!!!

Like 2
8k is a fair ask when it is all cleaned and up together. Not a risk free procedure by the way - mess it up and you could destroy value.

If you are selling, dont touch it.

If you were to offer it to a dealer, I suspect his offer would be around $5,000.

Any collector right now would pay $6,500 - no brainer

A motivated private buyer, who doesn't care about the risks, might give $7000 /7250.

Any more than that would be placing value on the story. (We have all done that).

Mind you, Speedmasters are currently in a thin market, and sometimes are not selling. (Not this one)

This one will sell at these levels, and I expect you have a full inbox by now - be picky and sell to a high post count member in your country - make it easy on yourself. Also check references from other high post members.

If it were my watch I would hold out for as much as I could as it is very attractive, a rare example, and a superb history.

<<And before any member complains about back door sales post, get a life! This is an obviously genuine request for help - and the forum would be poorer without it>>
Thank you. Will be passing it on to my SWA First Officer son after its serviced.

Like 7
When you received it in 1969 were you aware of the moon landing connection? Just curious about people's real world reactions at the time versus our modern perspective.
I was in a rocketry club in high school and also in my HS broadcasting booth for Shepards 1961 sub-orbital (I'll never forget my friends hand shaking on the volumn control knob). He was the announcer broadcasting to the school. I watched the moon landing in a friends room July 20th 1969. I graduated in August '69 and my dad gave me the watch when I got home. Don't remember if I knew the significance of the watch at the time. My dad was a jeweler so maybe that's why he bought it for me. It's a 68 ST with 1/69 on the bracelet. I still marvel at the achievement of landing a man on the moon (pre-computer) in 1969!!!!

Like 8
Super nice watch, thanks for sharing it with us. A previous poster mentioned "corrosion" on the caseback... its not corrosion, its just the oring that has vulcanized and will clean right off. The only thing I can add to what Spacefruit posted is that if you decide to keep it, which I hope you do, then it should be serviced straight away by a highly reputable watchmaker that is experienced with vintage Speedmasters. A few such watchmakers are active on this form, such as Archer Watches http://archerwatches.ca , Adam Lewis of https://www.lewiswatchco.com/ and Simon Freese of http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/ These are just three highly reputable references. It will cost you in the ballpark of $500 USD, which is money well spent. As mentioned the bracelet is worth quite a bit, and you way want to get a nice strap for the watch, and store the original bracelet, your choice. I like to wear my vintage Speedies with their original bracelets but I'm pretty easy on my watches.
Thank you! I found a CW21-OWME Certified Watchmaker in my town. He opened the case for me and let the 55 year air out.

Like 2
According to ilovemyspeedmaster.com, your watch was born around March, 1969.

1000020764.jpg

Like 2