Forums Latest Members

Aero Compax Ref 22289 / SN 1072......Original Dial Debate! Opinions Needed

1. ClipperGMT Jan 10, 2020

as far as the watch in question it's always useful to confirm with UV light a well. radium should fade very quickly if it takes a charge and tritium will last a few seconds longer. also in my experience, radium will max out the Radex easily (9.99 μsev/hr) whereas tritium will not

2. sxl2004 Jan 10, 2020

I very much doubt that any of the devises here will be able to measure tritium. It’s energy is to low to pass much through the steel and glass of a watch.

From Wikipedia:

Tritium is a naturally occurring radioactive form of hydrogen that is produced in the atmosphere when cosmic rays collide with air molecules. ... Tritium emits a weak form of radiation, a low-energy beta particle similar to an electron. The tritium radiation does not travel very far in air and cannot penetrate the skin.

vujen and oinkitt like this.
  3. oinkitt Jan 10, 2020

Although the watches new owner probably cares little for this conjecture, I will commit to more tests in the next few weeks and report back.

I have 2 different radiation detectors and a UV light.

Radiation detectors do not detect Tritium in my experience.

I may also remove the dial if I feel so inclined.

filmir likes this.
  4. t_swiss_t Jan 11, 2020

Is that Amagnetic yours ?!? That’s insanely beautiful and I only ever remember seeing one other with a lumed dial like that.

Syrte likes this.
  5. oinkitt Jan 11, 2020

Yes, I bought it many years ago.

I remember posting it on a Patek forum in the mid 2000s, the "experts" told me it was a fake!!!

There are only 6 radium 3417s known.

Edited Jan 11, 2020
    Mark020, Radiumpassion and Syrte like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jan 12, 2020

Fairly similar to my 1940s Tissot:

[​IMG]

Worn case, wrong hands, relumed and partially redialed. By far, far the watch I get most positive comments and selling inquiries about :p

Mark020, sdre, filmir and 5 others like this.
  7. Willbur Jan 12, 2020

Oinkitt, if you told us from the beginning that you are a collector of fake watch and redialed this discussion would be more simple:)

8. oinkitt Jan 12, 2020

I never set out to collect fakes and redials but it appears I am drawn to them. I've only been collecting since 1984 so I'm just a novice..... I must be due to find a gooden soon!!!

Hopefully by participating in the OF, by the grace of Woden, and with the guidance of the experts here, I will get learned on what to look for in a real watch.

I sure hope so!!!!

filmir and khmt2 like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 12, 2020

Hey @oinkitt, here’s another OF specialty called «thread drift »: instead of dwelling on those presumptive fakes and redials, how about you show us a couple shots of some other watches of yours that you like and think others (experts or non experts) might appreciate?

(edit/ add: other than the beautiful Patek Philippe of course)

Edited Jan 12, 2020
    Mark020, filmir and Larry S like this.
  10. oinkitt Jan 12, 2020

Well.... I'm not sure what others appreciate. I'm somewhat of a watch whore, I like anything with a dial, hands and a bit of age.

I'm wearing this watch today, I really like it!!!

I find the green dial quite pleasing.

IMG_20190526_120526_124.jpg

11. oinkitt Jan 12, 2020

And I think this one for tomorrow. I might even get off my ass and finally replace the crown after putting it off for 20 years!!

SAM_7024.JPG

Mark020, isnardi, filmir and 3 others like this.
  12. oinkitt Jan 12, 2020

And this one for Tuesday.

44.jpg

Hopefully that satiates you S.

Mark020, isnardi, Larry S and 6 others like this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 12, 2020

This one is quite unbelievable- and would satiate anyone I think. :thumbsup:

14. JwRosenthal Jan 12, 2020

If I can just lend a story on “expert opinions”:
    My parents were avid art collectors. They traveled the world for business and would collect what they liked and could afford- which were usually signed prints, original artist’s sketches and litho’s. Back in the 70’s the art market was different than it is now- there were bargains if you had a keen eye for modernism.
    I grew playing in rooms with Picasso, Kilmt, Seargent, Nagel, Chagall, lots of Lalique glass and pre-Columbia’s artifacts around which I had to be careful when throwing balls around the house.

After my parents divorced they split the art based on their taste- they ammicably bought each-other out of the collections. When my mother and step-father moved to the east coast, they had the collection re-appraised for insurance. This collection had been appraised in Los Angeles by at least 3 different appraisers for insurance purposes over the years and all verified as authentic. My step-father brought in the new appraiser and one piece he questioned was a Chagall hand colored print- saying that he wasn’t familiar with the piece, nor was it referenced in any of his catalogs- so it must be a fake. My step-father being a blow-hard, easily jumping to conclusions, and having a bit of animosity towards my father (who originally acquired the Chagall) immediately sided with this appraiser and cried fake. My mother asked for a second opinion but my blow-hard step-father said no need!! -an expert had given his opinion.
    They gave me the Chagall considering it was worthless so would make good wall decor in my apartment while I was in college. 20 years later I had an art conservator over for dinner and immedialty upon walking into my living room saw the print from across the room and said “oh, you have a Chagal!”. I told her the story, she laughed and blurted out “that guy didn’t know shit”. She spent the next 10 minutes talking about the piece, the symbolism in it, and the period in Chagal’s life when he made it.
    Always get multiple opinions and reserve judgement until there is a consensus from multiple sources- nobody can be an expert of everything and there are always variations that you may have not seen.

Mark020, jsflog, isnardi and 5 others like this.
  15. Willbur Jan 12, 2020

So finally such quick judgement from "expert" are fine for someone at least !
    JwRosenthal you win a Chagall and oinkitt's friend's daugther win the UG.

Syrte and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 12, 2020

Oky doky ... well, I guess we will never really know the whole story of the subject dial. This thread has become un moored and is now adrift. We took a whack at peeling the onion a bit. If one day another such dial appears we shall have this thread as searchable for reference.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  17. WatchCor Jan 12, 2020

Holy moly that is beautiful. Has anyone called "dibs" already? :D

18. CaptainWinsor Jan 14, 2020

In case anyone was wondering how they got the Radium in the hands and on the dial.

7F757AB6-F8FF-4A5E-AA99-BE85379F24AA.jpeg

Mark020, Syrte, Larry S and 5 others like this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 16, 2020

Hmmm .....OSHA would not approve the abuse of the wee folk. Note the lack of protective gear.

CaptainWinsor and BlackTalon like this.
  20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 16, 2020

It was fine to do it like this last year. OSHA needs to continually come up with new restrictions to justify their continued existence, similar to MADD :D