Forums Latest Members

Advise on purchasing an Omega 2234.50.00

1. Timelord2 Nov 19, 2021

Good day all,
    I am considering purchasing an Omega GMT 2234.50 or 2534.50. I also like the white one the 2538.20 but for now let's concentrate on the black face dial version. What is the difference between them (2235.50 and 2534.50) is it just the bracelet? Is the 2234.50 supposed to come with the butterfly clasp and the other has a standard Seamaster clasp? Is 825 the correct bracelet for this watch? And assuming I get one with a faded bezel insert, I see they do have replacement bezel inserts on EBAY for about $30. Am I correct in assuming these bezels are fake. Also If the previous reference numbers are of different models is the movement different or something? Sorry for all the questions but I have never purchased an Omega. I like this one simply because it doesn't have the helium escape barnacle on the left side. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. These are images of the specific watch and bracelet set I am looking for. Thank you in advance for your comments!

Omega_2234.50.00_Back.jpg Omega_2234.50.00.jpg
  2. Donn Chambers Nov 19, 2021

Only difference between the 2234.50 and the 2534.50 is the bracelet/clasp. The 2534.50 was the original version (like the one pictured) and the 2234.50 was introduced later with the Speedmaster-style bracelet and diver’s clasp. The watch itself is identical. I owned the 2234.50 for many years but replaced the bracelet with the one from the 2534.50 because I preferred it more.

the bezel inserts on EBay are fake, and you will likely damage the bezel trying to use one of them — Omega bezels inserts don’t pop out like on Rolex but are glued in. Omega only sells the full bezel/insert assembly.

3. Timelord2 Nov 19, 2021

Thank you very much for the information Donn. Curious why you sold it. Were you just ready to move on or did you want to get the newer coaxial movement on a new Omega? Was the lume good?

4. Donn Chambers Nov 19, 2021

Lume was outstanding, but I bought a vintage Seamaster 300 and didn’t want two similar looking watches in my collection.

5. Timelord2 Nov 19, 2021

Again, thank you so much for the information Donn, I really appreciate it! I did get a chance to try one on at a Real Real store in West Los Angeles and it fit like a glove. However, it was not even running plus no papers and they were asking $2750. Although the case, bezel and bracelet were in good condition I can't see spending that much for the watch in a non-running condition right from the start. Thank you again for your timely answers.

6. ChiefMark Nov 19, 2021

My first mechanical watch was also my first Omega - a 2534.50. It just came back from the spa. It’s a great watch & bracelet. The bracelet is not a diving bracelet, but it’s not a dive watch, it just has the water resistance of one. I love it for the wave dial, sword hands, the lack of the helium valve, and the large lume. I’ve had this watch for 22 years now, the lume is still strong. (The hands in this picture are new, but the old hands are fine. I was surprised they replaced them.)

I wish you luck in finding a good example, I’m sure you’ll love it. I think it’s an underrated item in Omega’s catalog.
    08800DDE-C00D-40F2-A787-4A4BFA01CEAE.jpeg

FergieB, Tet, 99Tjadams and 1 other person like this.
  7. Timelord2 Nov 20, 2021

Hi ChiefMark,
    Thank you for responding to my post and sharing your experience. As I said, this will be my first Omega. Nice to know you still have yours after 22 years, and have clearly kept it in great condition. Looks fantastic!

ChiefMark likes this.
  8. Timelord2 Mar 7, 2022

Finally made the move and purchased a 2234.50 on EBAY. It was advertised as a full set but it only included the instruction guide and box. BTW, the first watch I have ever purchased. The watch itself looks excellent and all in with tax from a "reputable" seller with 25,660 transactions and all good reviews it was $2960 or $2700 not including the tax. The watch is advertised as a full set. To my stupidity, I did ask about the chronometer warranty and the international warranty in the same email as an offer $300 less than originally advertised on EBAY (originally $2999…) and the accepted it without replying to my questions. Again I will reiterate, the watch itself looks excellent and even haaving recieved it it looks almost new. However, the description did say "Full Set" and included "Papers: Yes" and "Box Yes" in the description. BTW, they sell watches and jewelry in general so it's not like they didn't know what a full set is. Here is a link (https://www.ebay.com/itm/175158324926Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) in case you are interested in the listing and condition of the watch. Just looking for any advice Forum members might have. And yes, perhaps in hindsight I was stupid to trust anything on EBAY. On another note, I have already contacted the seller with my concerns. To those of you who don't want to click a random link from someone with only a few posts, and who can blame you, here is a screen shot of the listing information.

FullSet_1.JPG FullSet_2.JPG
    Tet likes this.
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 7, 2022

That isn't a 2234.50. Read back, the 2234.50 is the version on the Speedy type bracelet. When on the butterfly clasp Bond style it has the PIC of 2534.50. If that was a 2234.50 originally then bracelet was swapped, or more likely the seller never had the cards with the PIC on them and misidentified it. As you fear it isn't a full set if the cards are missing, but if the watch is in good condition and that is the bracelet is the one you prefer, then you did OK IMO.

Edited Mar 7, 2022
    Erik_H likes this.
  10. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Mar 8, 2022

Congratulations on both the watch especially as a first purchase!

These are a great watch, agree with somebody above that they are genuinely underated. Hope it's one that stays with you, that would be especially cool.

11. Timelord2 Apr 15, 2022

Just to follow up on this thread, late but none the less… I do appreciate everybody's comments. I did in the end keep it as it looks brand new and running fairly well at about -4-5 seconds per day. Pics or it didn't happen!

o_IMG_6786_S.jpg
    FergieB, Erik_H, txtchfn and 2 others like this.
  12. hen Apr 15, 2022

That a looker! Congratulations

13. ChiefMark Apr 15, 2022

Congratulations! Wear it in good health.