Advice: Speedmaster Professional Apollo XI 3592.50

Posts
106
Likes
111
Hello all, I stumbled upon an example of birthyear 3592.50 I've been looking for a while. Everything looks fine, there is some self-question about the hands but they look more original than replacement service hands and the movement pics aligns with 17 jewel 863. It does look like it might have 18 jewels but I read that can be the case back then. I'm hoping your trained eyes can tell em something that I don't see but as far as I can tell, it looks like an honest example. Thanks in advance!

 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
Hard to tell from the photo, but I'm wondering if the hour and minute hands could be superluminova service replacements. The chronograph hand is definitely tritium.
 
Posts
6,469
Likes
21,991
Compare it to this one, which is/was a killer deal.

 
Posts
215
Likes
847
Hour and minute hands looks like luminova, are you able to test with UV light?

I have got a 3592.50 non-Apollo recently, too.

 
Posts
106
Likes
111
Thanks all. I have asked for additional photos of the hands
 
Posts
788
Likes
2,316
Loaned out my Moonwatch Only book to a friend so can't be for certain. Lume looks good, movement looks good, dial looks good from this one pic. Would probably need a few more to really see the hands as far as original vs replacements. All in all think it's a winner.
 
Posts
106
Likes
111
Hour and minute hands looks like luminova, are you able to test with UV light?

I have got a 3592.50 non-Apollo recently, too.

Thanks would tritium show blue and SL show green for the UV test?
 
Posts
35,647
Likes
39,895
Thanks would tritium show blue and SL show green for the UV test?
Both tritium lume and super luminova will glow under UV, SL will remain glowing for quite some time afterwards though as it charges, tritium will glow for a much shorter period. The dial is tritium for sure, just see if the hands glow much longer after being charged than the dial.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
Also examine the photos of the hands carefully when you receive them. Superluminova will always be bright white in appearance. Tritium on this reference should show some patination - usually a pale yellow color.
 
Posts
215
Likes
847
Thanks would tritium show blue and SL show green for the UV test?
What @dsio said.

Here’s an example of tritium dial but hands replaced.
 
Posts
747
Likes
876
Nice looking watch. Good discussion above on the hands.

Yes, some of the “17 jewel movements” had an 18th jewel. My 3590.50 is the same way, I think it’s kind of cool.

Screw heads etc look good on the movement.

Case looks unpolished but would nice to have a few more photos.

Is the price acceptable to you?