Advice required: 1970s Omega SEAMASTER Cal 1012 Ref 166.0215

Hi all

I wonder if anyone could tell me if there is anything to be concerned about with this Seamaster. It is advertised as NOS, however it does not have box/papers and has some scratches although the overall condition looks amazing for its age. I can see tritium patina so I am wondering if it is likely the original dial/hands and if there are any traps with this model/cal? I am new to Omega so any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

16926308-iqs1u4u4f9y52gkugvl7fuif-Zoom.jpg
16926308-ch0gekhbgjxur672opbsc9ew-Zoom.jpg
16926308-gu9ooq4c5x2ze5l9prg9zfkp-Zoom.jpg
16926308-alnth7k6xn9rggq93au5psgv-Zoom.jpg
16926308-kg74e96mmcsx1cbjf049ts9w-Zoom.jpg
16926308-mxmqr2z3wpycaf2mymczoo94-Zoom.jpg
16926308-12t4029x02wdnelfoi7bngrc-Zoom.jpg

If it doesn't have stickers on the back, it's not NOS. One of the first things learned on OF. 😎

Nice looking watch 👍
Edited:

If it doesn't have stickers on the back, it's not NOS. One of the first thing learned on OF. 😎

Nice looking watch 👍
Thanks - yes I agree - it is wrong to call it NOS but it does appear to have been looked after - I just thought it would be worth checking that the dial/hands/movement look original since I am a complete Omega noob (!) and I know from the Rolex world how many traps there are with older models.

I did a search of Ref. 166.0215 watches and the dial, hands, and bracelet are consistent with the other examples. It is from the early '70s, so be sure to factor a price of a service into the watch if you have no service history. I am not a big fan of the 10XX movements but this is an nice example if the price is right.

I like it! Maybe not NOS but she sure looks like a fine specimen and for sure wasn't worn much. I would gladly wear that watch and with a service that 10XX movement will be just fine. Nice that it is just date and not day-date as many of those style movements are. 👍

looks sharp.

a caveat apart: if you aren't a fan of bracelets, or like to mix and match, that style case limits your choices of straps.

at $1600+/-... seems kinda steep, but condition counts for a premium.

Edit: not exactly your watch, but a similar w/ comparison. https://wornandwound.com/affordable...master-ref-166-0240-king-seiko-ref-5621-7030/ i think the one you're looking at is better looking with the sharp edges. but thats all a matter of preference.
Edited:

On the negative side, it’s €1350 but I reckon that to be a lot for a 10** watch, however good the condition is.

On the positive, it looks in very good condition and, as @janice&fred says, it’s date only, not day/date.

Servicing shouldn’t be more than €100-150 and, if you like it .....

Thanks all - that is really helpful. I hadn't factored in the service cost but from the sounds of it that wont be too bad. The consensus seems to be that it is expensive for the cal but in great condition for its age so it depends how important that is. I do prefer the date only version so that's good. The limitation around strap choice is hard to judge - I am normally a bracelet guy but it depends how it wears as to whether I will want to change it I guess.

One other question - they date it to 1974 - is that an estimation or is that based on the serial number?

Thanks again.

I agree with many of the NOS comments, as this is misused far too often and means different things to different people. I have purchased 3 watches over the years that used the term NOS in the description. Instead of NOS, the words "like new, brand new condition, barely used, no marks or scratches" would have been more accurate. In each case, the watches came with hang tags and boxes, and I paid a premium for the condition. I was happy with each but, I took the NOS term with a grain of salt.
Edited:

It is a great looking watch in excellent condition. While 10xx movements are not valued as much as the earlier 5xx, and 7xx calibers, there are plenty of watchmakers around who can service them and this watch will serve you well, if properly maintained.

The price is a little steep but dealers often charge top buck and there is an additional premium when a watch is in pristine condition. Only you can decide if this watch is worth the asking price.

Another example of the NOS label being abused. Folks, just having the original hang tag on a watch does not make it NOS - although the watch appears to be in a very nice overall condition.

Yes, hanging a €0.50 paper label to a very good condition watch doesn't make it NOS....and any seller that tries that should not be taken seriously IMHO.

As to the price of €1350....well, I think this is the kind of generally unloved model of Omega that even in this very good condition would probably sell on EBay in an auction for around €375-€500 tops.

The question is do you value the the hang tag and new NOS description for the € excess?

Yes, hanging a €0.50 paper label to a very good condition watch doesn't make it NOS....and any seller that tries that should not be taken seriously IMHO.

As to the price of €1350....well, I think this is the kind of generally unloved model of Omega that even in this very good condition would probably sell on EBay in an auction for around €375-€500 tops.

The question is do you value the the hang tag and new NOS description for the € excess?

I think you are right about the seller issue - I checked the website and they describe a lot of their listings as NOS...
I do appreciate all the input on this thread - I am new to Vintage Omega so not really tuned into market prices yet.

One other question - they date it to 1974 - is that an estimation or is that based on the serial number?

The serials numbers for 1974 are 38,000,000 – 38,999,999. I zoomed on your movement and it does sort look like a 38, but it is a little hard to tell with the photo.

New Old Stock in my opinion should only be used for situations where an establishment, retailer or wholesaler went under and someone purchased the inventory for future sale. It is probably more appropriate for parts, that are usually still in the original packaging.

Once a watch has been sold to an end user, it has been put into service and becomes a used watch, even if it has seen very little use.

This picture shows a watch different to yours. It is my Speedmaster 345.0808. Shown with original box, shell, hang tag, warranty (not filled in), and original insert booklet. NOS? No! It is 30 years old. It is in good condition, but not NOS. So don’t be misled by claims that a watch is NOS.

The serials numbers for 1974 are 38,000,000 – 38,999,999. I zoomed on your movement and it does sort look like a 38, but it is a little hard to tell with the photo.
Amazing - thank you. I had a look on their website on a different photo and it does look like 38.

Not NOS

Also, some rust to be removed from the caseback.
I bought several watches from former Official Omega resellers. The presence of signs and scuffs depends on how they have been stored in the last years (sometimes many and many years).
The very last time the son of the once Omega official reseller used to keep all these watches with tags and protective films in a carton box used to store bottles of wine.