Forums Latest Members

Advice please!! De Ville Prestige Caliber 2500 Auto (Co-Ax)

1. missbeks Jun 8, 2015

Hello!

So, I'm looking to by my Fiancee an Omega as a graduation present (lucky him ;)). I want something quality enough to become a family heirloom. He loves Omegas (his grandad had one), and has had his eye on a couple of vintage de villes (think a la mad men style).

I think the style of the new prestige is perfect for him, and have found it online here for what seems to be a good price. (Live in the UK).

http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...Muv8twUlmuAC5rsWpnzI3Mrx6_XZbvb8LXBoCxJHw_wcB

However, I'm not an experienced watch buyer, and I don't know whether this particular watch is worth the price tag. Can anyone offer any advice? Originally I was looking at some vintage pieces, but I just do not know enough about what I am purchasing to be confident in buying second hand...

Please halp!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2015

Its an ok watch, just not one of Omega's best, for that money I'd try to get a used Aqua Terra Cal 8500 or Hour Vision 8500, that movement is far more special and significant than the 2500 and both are much nicer watches.

3. ConElPueblo Jun 8, 2015

If you really are interested in getting him a vintage model, give us a price suggestion, and I'm sure that a lot of the members here will advise you - the price of the piece you showed there would open up a world of vintage Omegas, far less would get you a very good example too.

4. ConElPueblo Jun 8, 2015

5. missbeks Jun 8, 2015

Thanks guys -

My price range is anything up to/around £1750 / $AUD 3000 / $USD 2300

dsio - what makes the movement in the other watches you have suggested more special?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2015

The Cal 2500 is a modified version of a very common ETA2892 movement used in a lot of watches from TAG Heuer to Cartier to Raymond Weil, that's not a bad thing, but its not really unique to Omega, although the modification to include the Co-Axial escapement is. The Cal 2500 had some reliability issues in earlier versions as well so unless its the final "D" revision it could have problems. The Cal 8500 is a ground up Omega specific movement and both more reliable and better performing (and better looking too). $2300 might be slightly short of a Cal 8500 but not far off a good used example. There's also the Speedmaster Pro btw if you're looking at watches that make good heirlooms, the Moonwatch looks great both casual and with a suit and is the Omega with the greatest history of any.

7. missbeks Jun 9, 2015

Thanks dsio, makes sense.

Who knew this would be so hard? ;)

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2015

It can be hard but its good fun too, although its a bit more I'd very much recommend springing for the Speedy Pro or a Cal 8500 used, especially if you love him :)