Forums Latest Members
  1. Jeeper Oct 23, 2020

Gentlemen,

Can anyone advise as to the best place to sell a Planet Ocean 2201.50.50 in the UK.

I have had a look on Chrono 24, but not convinced regarding their escrow service.

Any input or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance chaps.

ps, I understand that there is a sales platform on here but don't want to force through the 200 posts artificially, I enjoy the forum & don't want to be "that guy".

2. ConElPueblo Oct 23, 2020

You will need to prioritise what the most important aspects of your sale are - high sales price, speed, least effort in advertising, local sale or security of payment (lowest risk).
    On that spectrum lies eBay, local marketplaces, Facebook, consignment with a dealer, etc. I cannot comment on your specific situation as I don't know your local markets etc, but take some time to consider the above.

WatchCor, Davidt and DaveK like this.
  3. gbesq Oct 23, 2020

You might want to speak with James at Kibble Watches in London. Very decent and trustworthy guy and I know that he sells watches on consignment for his clients.

Nathan1967 and janice&fred like this.
  4. Shabbaz Oct 23, 2020

Chrono is a fantastic place to sell a watch. Never had any problems with the escrow service.

Dr.Sascha, Zapatta and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  5. Jeeper Oct 23, 2020

Thanks ConELPueblo,

Actually I am happy to compromise on all of that time v cost v peace of mind etc.

It's simply never worn & I think I would like to stick the value into a Tudor as I've never owned one.

Jeeper

6. Jeeper Oct 23, 2020

Thanks Shabbaz,

That input does help.

I have never ever sold any of my watches, so a bit reticent about escrow, more to do with buyer causing problems than Chrono themselves.

Jeeper

7. Shabbaz Oct 23, 2020

You can also do a partial trade with cash up or down with a established dealer. I did this a couple of weeks ago with a german dealer.

8. Jeeper Oct 23, 2020

Thanks gbesq.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 23, 2020

Bet that polprof would keep the PO in a draw a bit. ;)

10. Kmart Oct 23, 2020

I always post watches on multiple forums but I've actually ended up selling almost all of them through Reddit. Reddit is fairly US-heavy but I believe there is a fairly sizable UK contingent on there. Of course it will depend on if you have an account already and if you have any sales history. The first sale is always the toughest.

11. Croc Oct 23, 2020

May be worth getting a quote from the large dealers, obviously you won’t be getting the highest price possible, however it is the easiest and quickest option, especially if looking to trade for another watch. From experience there can be quite a variation in price and terms between them, so if going down this route make sure to get several quotes.

kip595 likes this.
  12. Nathan1967 Oct 23, 2020

I too would recommend James. He provides a really great service and is a top guy to boot.

13. Skipper_S Oct 23, 2020

Use Chrono24.

So far I have sold 14 watches through Chrono24 using their escrow service with no problem except 1 sale where the buyer changed his mind when he collected the watch. As a private seller you are not obliged to accept a return of the watch if properly advertised...

the key is to post good pictures so buyer can judge the condition and make a honest description of the watch!

Also they charge only 6,5% compared to eBay...

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  14. Braindrain Oct 23, 2020

Don't they demand that, once listed, it can't be listed anywhere else?

Sure, you can, but if you sell it elsewhere and you get a hit on C24 afterwards, do they blacklist you?

15. Skipper_S Oct 23, 2020

You can list your item for free for a period of 3 months. When this period expires you can delete the listing without paying a fee.
    If you sell it during this period (3 months) outside of Chrono24 you pay the fee but never happened in my case so I don’t know if you pay the 6,5% or less but I think you pay 6,5%

Every 3 months they ask you a proof of ownership in order to relist your item for another 3 months except the first time that you can just refresh the 3 month period without sending pictures of the watch.

Braindrain likes this.
  16. Jeeper Oct 23, 2020

Thanks Kmart

17. Jeeper Oct 23, 2020

Thanks Skipper,

It does sound as if Chrono 24 is the place.

Have you found that their recommended sale price has been anything close to what has been achieved?

Really appreciate your input.

TIA
    Jeeper

18. Jeeper Oct 23, 2020

I am taking it into Manchester tomorrow & if can get a reasonable price against Tudor BB steel or BB GMT, then I will probably do that. I will end up with another one that I don't need:-

Jeeper

19. Croc Oct 24, 2020

Would suggest you get some quotes online before going, even from dealers not local to you, at least gives you a base price idea and may help with the negotiations

20. ZIELSZIEK Oct 24, 2020

Speaking of Chrono24, Am I the only one that feels like they would greatly benefit from introducing a feedback system for independent collectors? I don't see the sense in allowing only dealers to receive feedback.

Dr.Sascha, MtV and Shabbaz like this.