Advice on Seamaster Calendar 2849

Hi All,

While searching my local vintage dealers, found this 2849. Is the dial too good to be true? No patina and fully intact lume. The "a" on the "swiss made" looks a bit suss. Advertised as near nos, with original calf leather strap (not sure this is correct for this reference). The case at least looks pretty sharp.

Thoughts?

3340d.jpg

More photos available?
UV light will tell if it’s tritium relume or original radium
The script looks quite good but agree dial looks very clean for watch from 50’s
Here’s my black gilt version to compare font
IMG_3218.jpeg

Like 2
A few more photos added. I may need to go and inspect in person with uv as you suggested.

3340a.jpg 3340b.jpg 3340f.jpg

Good idea. If it’s radium dial not repainted.
Is there movement photo and caseback inside avail?
What is asking price?

Unfortunately no movement photo and inside case back. Would def want to see these before purchase and also negotiate on the $1900 price tag..
What would you think a mint condition like this is worth (if its not repainted)?

Thanks, will take a look at that :thumbsup:.

So I think that radium lume is suppose to glow under uv and then fade quickly when removed. Having said that doesn’t the same happen with tritium?

Yes the fade with radium is almost instant.
Tritium fades more slowly over 30-40 sec.

I knew the explanation once but I forgot.

Looks nice, but the price is absurd, even given excellent condition.

Like 3
Why are the hands wrong?
If you see the example with the black dial from SOG53 above, the hour hand has a thin strip of lume and in the OP’s example, the hour hand is inconsistent with the minute hand.

If you see the example with the black dial from SOG53 above, the hour hand has a thin strip of lume and in the OP’s example, the hour hand is inconsistent with the minute hand.
Can you share an example of what a correct minute hand would look like?

Like 1
Oh shit! Sharp eye, I totally missed that! So the black example has tiny pips and smaller indices- hands seem appropriate. The white example has arrow indices and fat lume pips. Would it be safe to assume the hour hand would be correct and the minute hand is incorrect? What would the correct minute hand look like?

SOG53’s example in the post above with the black dial shows correct hands. I don’t have a 2849 but I collect 2846/2848 non-date versions and here is one of mine.
IMG_9745.jpeg

Like 1
Answered my own question. The hands are fine, here’s one I owned a while back.
IMG_4470.jpeg

Like 2
Answered my own question. The hands are fine, here’s one I owned a while back.
IMG_4470.jpeg
So wide hour lume patch with skinny lume strip on minute is ok. I hadn’t seen another combo but I can see how one would think they are incongruent.

Here’s similar hands on 14700 from a few years later
IMG_9297.jpeg