Advice on relume

Hi OFM's
I would appreciate if you could take some time to have a look at the hands and lume as I would appreciate your advice on the pro's & cons as to whether or not the watch would benefit from any restoration. The main reason for my concern is that I wear the watch almost daily.
Regards MR.IMG-20220327-WA0008.jpg

What is the question exactly? If you are concerned about further lume loss from the hands, you can have them stabilized from the back side, and there is no downside to that. Beyond that, it's a personal cosmetic choice.

Like 1
Couldn’t recommend James Hyman enough. Here’s my before and after Speedie.

IMG_4146.jpeg IMG_4145.jpeg
IMG_4147.jpeg

Like 15
What is the question exactly? If you are concerned about further lume loss from the hands, you can have them stabilized from the back side, and there is no downside to that. Beyond that, it's a personal cosmetic choice.
Hi Dan
What is the question exactly? If you are concerned about further lume loss from the hands, you can have them stabilized from the back side, and there is no downside to that. Beyond that, it's a personal cosmetic
Couldn’t recommend James Hyman enough. Here’s my before and after Speedie.

IMG_4146.jpeg IMG_4145.jpeg
IMG_4147.jpeg
Looks great thank you for your reply

When to relume is so subjective and largely dependant on where you fall in the originality:condition/attractiveness ratio.

Plenty of people will say this watch will be significantly improved with a relume. It will. But, it impacts originality and it’s not entirely unattractive as is.
Personally this falls into the middle ground and I’d wear it for a few weeks or months before deciding. Once done, it can’t be undone.
Edited:

Like 6
If you're going to sell it, I wouldn't touch it. If you're going to keep it, I'd relume it. Those markers are really unattractive and detract from the overall aesthetic of the watch. The minute hand isn't much better. With a good relume, that will be a nice looking watch.

Like 4
Hi all
Thank you all for your replies and advice given all taken on board, my main concern was to whether it would detract from the age of the watch also may devalue. I shall post images if I decide to move forward on the works once again appreciate all your comments and advice.

Hi all
Thank you all for your replies and advice given all taken on board, my main concern was to whether it would detract from the age of the watch also may devalue. I shall post images if I decide to move forward on the works once again appreciate all your comments and advice.
If you are wearing and enjoying the Speedy I wouldnt bother with a relume. You dont have to have a watch to match the look of others. If it was me I wouldnt touch it, and look for others over time and maybe find another one later and trade up- If you relume you will want to repaint/relume the hands as well otherwise it will look worse- a bigger job and less and less original.

SOG53
Thanks for you reply and you are right, also reading the comments given to another member with similar concerns with a recent purchase has also convinced me to stay clear.

Stay clear of getting a relume? Totally a personal decision but it sounds like you don’t like it as it is, hence this post. I wouldn’t want to keep a watch that I didn’t love hoping one day to get a better version. Yes a bad relume is real bad but a good relume is very good. Imagine the irony if you save for years and trade up to get one with perfect looking lume only to find out later it had been redone by the likes of James Hyman.

Hi asrnj77
Thanks for your reply, it's not that I don't like the watch I wear it almost daily it more about the upkeep and condition and having seen previous posts with images about relume I was maybe looking for reassurance from the pro's that yes a good relume would improve the look it would not be at the expense of the originality also if left alone more detiration

Get James Hyman or another well regarded person to relume and it would completely transform the look of the watch in my opinion. I understand that originality is a big thing in this hobby but when its at the expense of overall attractiveness of a watch, I have no issues with a good relume!

Like 2
Levin K
Thank you for your reply James Hyman is a name that keeps getting recommended therefore I shall get in touch for his advice and opinion once again thank you to all OFM's for your time and advice

Hi OFM's
Having taken on board the advice and comments given I have decided to send my watch to Simon freese for the works and look forward to posting results once the watch returns and also looks forward to your thoughts.

He might not have spotted this thread but the aforementioned J Hyman is an occasional contributor here and has corrected me before when I suggested that a particular watch showed signs of his work. In fact it was original which tells you how good his output is!

I’d take an excellent relume and over ugly original every time.

Like 7
Hi all,

with regards to a relume, is this usually done with luminova even if the original luminous is tritium? Are you aware of people that do relume work with old stock tritium? I understand Horoluma on Instagram does use old stock tritium. Any idea if anyone else is offering that…specifically in the U.S.?
Edited:

Relumes can be done with with tritium or just some non-luminous compound. I think most of the more well know relumers stateside would have access to tritium. I know LAWW offered it when I inquired a couple years ago.

Like 1
However, few places are interested in re-luming dials.