Advice on pre-owned SMP, New PO or 300MC

New forum member here and hopefully first time Omega owner soon (either way)

I've wanted a SMP 300 (black without the circular segments) for years and not being able to afford however we've saved up and I'm in a position to purchase.

The one I have put a deposit down on is a 2000 2254.50 pending photos etc but there is something in the back of my mind sayings it's a 21 year old watch!

I'm also taken with the PO black dial which isn't the same but similar but albeit brand new.

I'm after advice either way whether to stick with the oldie or go for broke on a PO. I will be happy either way I'm sure but its age and not knowing it's treatment for that time is really making me doubt the older watch. The 21yr SMP is still approx 50% of a new PO.

Thank you

Like 1
I have only tried on the PO, for me it was too big. I love my 2254.5

Like 2
Having owned both, I think it's important to try them on your wrist. And also look at your wrist in the mirror, from a few feet away. A couple of the things I didn't like about my 2254: that large 12'o clock triangle, and the big font used on the bezel numbers.

On the plus side, the 2254 is really thin... like, really, really thin compared to the current generation 880x powered Seamaster divers. A 8900 PO will tower above it. Plus the caliber 1200 in the 2254 and 2531 Seamasters have a smoother sweep of the seconds hand, compared to the later co-axials. Plus those dial waves :thumbsup:

Despite the bulk, I prefer the 43.5mm Planet Ocean. Silent rotor spin, longer power reserve, jumping hour hands for when you're flying across timezones, applied hour markers, adjustable clasp, and more 'muted' numbers on the bezel.

Like 2
Having owned both, I think it's important to try them on your wrist. And also look at your wrist in the mirror, from a few feet away. A couple of the things I didn't like about my 2254: that large 12'o clock triangle, and the big font used on the bezel numbers.

On the plus side, the 2254 is really thin... like, really, really thin compared to the current generation 880x powered Seamaster divers. A 8900 PO will tower above it. Plus the caliber 1200 in the 2254 and 2531 Seamasters have a smoother sweep of the seconds hand, compared to the later co-axials. Plus those dial waves :thumbsup:

Despite the bulk, I prefer the 43.5mm Planet Ocean. Silent rotor spin, longer power reserve, jumping hour hands for when you're flying across timezones, applied hour markers, adjustable clasp, and more 'muted' numbers on the bezel.

Thank you for your reply!

My dad has the 2531.80 which he purchased new and has not really worn. Absolutely box fresh. It's a lovely feel to the watch and looks right on my wrist (obviously blue rather than black)

I'm not opposed to getting both but I'm not sure if it's overkill.
The 43.5mm is just too big for my wrist though!

I have only tried on the PO, for me it was too big. I love my 2254.5
I currently have a 38mm TAG GTS which is a nice size and looks good on my wrist. I can get away with abit bigger but I feel the PO may just be a bridge too far.

I'm also taken with the 300MC steel on steel after reading a few other posts although it's a slight bummer it's no date function.