Advice on Omega Constellation Pie Pan Gold & S. Steel Automatic Cal 561

Hi OF,

I’m looking to buy my first vintage watch and have my heart set on a gold capped pie pan Omega constellation. I particularly like the look of the silver and gold version with sharp lugs.

I’ve been watching the forums here for a couple of weeks and sadly none have come up yet (I refresh almost every hour which is becoming a slight addiction!!). This one in November was perfect but got snapped up very quickly. A respected member on here has a rail track rather than pie pan available or stainless steel pie pan at the moment but I think I’m going to be patient … I’m enjoying the hunt!

I’ve read the OF fishing guide and done some of my own searching on eBay. To my untrained eye, this looks like a solid watch (lugs not over polished, good drips etc):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14479584...DrWSBs5TS6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

My assessment is that the price seems a little steep at $2,200 but watch appears in great condition. Would you agree? The gold medallion seems a little worn and the lugs have some signs of wear. Is the lettering right or does something look slightly off as I keep focusing on the “n”?

This is the best I’ve seen online currently other than an 18k pie pan in my local jewellers but that’s £4,700 ($5,700) which seems absurd although I live in London!

Thank you so much

Sam

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
That looks like a winner to me. Price-wise it's always a crap-shoot. Sometimes it pays to wait it out and other times one kickes oneself in the ass for letting something slip by that was as close as one gets to what they dream about.

The other watch is in Mexico, so you will have the same customs and shipping issues. If you contact the seller and make an offer to pay the difference in shipping…you never know.

Also, all steel generally brings a slight premium over gold capped, as does non-calendar over calendar.

To each their own.
gatorcpa

You can tell I’m new to this as I prefer calendar vs non-calendar and gold capped vs all steel !! Now I’m worried about my taste …

No issues with import costs, the member in the link you shared specifically states that they won’t post outside the US however so think that’s a non-starter for now

The lighting makes it a bit hard to judge, but my sense is that the OP watch is a very good condition. That said, $2200 plus tax/duties is a lot for that reference. But if you want it now and don't mind the price, go for it.

No issues with import costs, the member in the link you shared specifically states that they won’t post outside the US however so think that’s a non-starter for now
He’s also quite motivated to sell, judging from the price reductions.

If you cover the costs….? Worst he can do is say no.
gatorcpa

You can tell I’m new to this as I prefer calendar vs non-calendar and gold capped vs all steel !! Now I’m worried about my taste …

You like what you like.

God knows there a ton of what I would consider really ugly cars and watches that other people love.

As they say, to each their own, which couldn't be more apt than what's on your wrist.

He’s also quite motivated to sell, judging from the price reductions.

If you cover the costs….? Worst he can do is say no.
gatorcpa

Thanks for mentioning my listing. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't ship a watch to the UK at reasonable cost with proper insurance at this time.

Thanks for mentioning my listing. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't ship a watch to the UK at reasonable cost with proper insurance at this time.
I tried. 🙁
gatorcpa