Forums Latest Members

Advice on Leather vs Metal Straps?

1. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 8, 2020

Hello everyone! Watch newb here. I was thinking about getting another Omega watch or maybe going for a Rolex or perhaps a Breitling, (so many nice watches to choose from!) but I am having a hard time deciding on if I want to get another metal band or go with a leather strap? What are the "rules" for leather straps? Are they more dressy or causal than Metal bands? What color should I get? Brown or black? Before I purchased my Omega all that I ever had was rubber straps for a couple cheap Casio's so any and all advice would be most appreciated. I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. :thumbsup:

I was looking at something like this. I find this Omega Speedmaster really sharp looking.

OMEGA-Speedmaster-331-12-42-51-02-002-10-10-OME-0L6NRG-42572044e080_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    Edited Mar 8, 2020
  2. Gasman Mar 8, 2020

I’m not a fan of bracelets don’t find them comfy. I have all different straps, leather, rubber, suede etc. etc.

TheNewOmegaMan likes this.
  3. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 8, 2020

I am guessing certain straps go with certain outfits etc?

4. gbesq Mar 8, 2020

I generally prefer steel bracelets for my sports and tool watches (e.g., my Speedmaster Professional and SMPc) and leather bands, one black and one brown, for my dress watches (e.g., my two vintage Constellations). That’s just my preference and I don’t think there’s a need for hard and fast rules. Generally, metal bracelets are more durable than leather straps, but they are heavy (titanium excepted), scratch more easily, and don’t fit as well unless they have a micro adjustment clasp. The biggest problem with leather straps is that they are more prone to wear and tear, particularly in hot, humid climates.

5. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 8, 2020

Thanks gbesq, I appreciate the feedback. Those Constellations are very classy looking. I am going to look into those as well as the Omega De Ville's. I am guessing the black leather straps would go with more outfits than the brown? It might be worth it for me to go with a black leather strap mainly because I wanted to have something a little more dressy and can go with more outfits than my metal band Speedmaster (which is pictured as my avatar). Sorry for all the questions, Now that I graduated college with an AAS, and will be going back for my bachelors while starting my new career I am trying to dress more decent instead of looking like I'm 14 with hoodies, jeans and sneakers all the time. :)

Edited Mar 8, 2020
  6. gbesq Mar 8, 2020

You can’t go wrong with a nice black leather strap. Looks good with just about any decent watch.

7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 8, 2020

There is a thread titled ”Show your Omega speedmaster leather strap wrist shots” that you might want to check out. My iPhone no longer lets me copy links on OF for some reason. But u can do a site search for it.

8. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 8, 2020

Thank you DaveK, I will do that.

9. snunez Mar 9, 2020

Keep in mind local conditions too. If you live in the tropics, a leather band won't last more than 2-3 years so I reluctantly only wear metal bracelets now.

10. loniscup Mar 9, 2020

I prefer leather or rubber straps over bracelets personally. I find them too uncomfortable, but I prefer the aesthetics too. Colour wise, go with what pleases you most as taste is so subjective here!!

11. swishtime Mar 12, 2020

You can always switch it up depending on the occasion.

12. Chaz Goldenrod Mar 12, 2020

I love the versatility of a bracelet on a sport watch. Given the choice I would generally recommend choosing the bracelet version as they are usually a better value vs buying the strap version and then trying to source a bracelet later. Once you get the hang of it it’s easy to change straps and I find myself wearing my watches on their bracelets about half the time and on straps and natos for the other half. In terms of strap color I like to match my belt and shoes! I’ve actually rationalized shoe purchases based on trying to match a watch strap that I love. It’s a sickness...

Zeyryu likes this.