Forums Latest Members

Different spring bar for leather vs. metal?

1. chickenman26 Dec 18, 2014

I have a day/date Speedy w/bracelet 1564/975. Ofrei lists OME-SPRING-BAR-09 as correct for that bracelet (and several others) but states it's for 18mm lug width. My watch and bracelet are both 19mm, and I did notice the original spring bars are noticeably shorter than generic 19mm bars. So now I want to install a leather strap, and Ofrei lists SPRING-BAR-04 for 19mm leather. So do I need to get the 04 bars? The originals seem to retain the leather strap securely. Thanks for any insight on this.

Stu

Edited Dec 18, 2014
  2. chickenman26 Dec 19, 2014

No ideas? Anyone?

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 19, 2014

I can't advise on the part number, but if your watch measures 19mm between the lugs, then that is the size of spring bar I personally would use. A shorter one may "fit" but IMO will not be as secure, due to less less spring pressure and, depending on the design, shallower penetration into the lug holes.

4. m84 Dec 19, 2014

I can't answer definitely on this but i have read somewhere that there is some difference in the springbars for the metal bracelet and others like leather...
    On this link it is discussed with regards to the Moonwatch's 20mm lugs. Maybe you can draw your own conclusions from this for your watch?
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ca...e-spring-bars-03-04-a-702332.html#post5116464

OME-03 are 20mm long and OME-04 are 19mm long. Both are 1.8mm in diameter. Use 04s for 20mm lug width Omega bracelets, and 03s for 20mm lug width straps. You can use the bracelet bars for your straps, but not the reverse. You'll never get them in. Trust me, I know. Also, you should use 04s for 19mm lug width straps, but you'll need 18mm long bars for 19mm lug width bracelets.

5. pascs Dec 19, 2014

My understanding is that the leather strap would use the longer spring bar, 19mm in your case, and the metal bracelet would use the 18mm spring bar. I think this is just to make fitting the bracelet easier as its a tight fit into the watch lugs and not flexible like the leather strap.

Archer likes this.
  6. chickenman26 Dec 19, 2014

Three great informative answers, and Archer seems to agree. Thanks all. Darlinboy, those were my thoughts exactly. A boutique had used the shorter original bracelet bars to install the leather when I bought the watch, so I didn't even think about it...until I removed the strap and saw how short the bars are.

What's going on here is that the -09 bar recommended for this bracelet # is longer than the 18mm -01 but shorter than the 19mm -04. So, it may be okay for leather, but the consequences of being wrong about that could be catastrophic. -04 bars on the way, and thanks again.

Stu

7. chickenman26 Dec 20, 2014

I visited my boutique today, and they gave me a pair of 19mm springbars. They made a hell of a difference. I mounted my Lousiana alligator, and there's no play whatever. I wasn't getting a warm, fuzzy feeling with the strap wiggling around previously.