Forums Latest Members
  1. kip595 Nov 10, 2019

Hey guys, I'm still new to more vintage pieces and was hoping for some thoughts from those 'in-the-'know' about the older designs and movements. I came across a manual wind in a local shop today in what appears to be great overall condition. The case does show enough seemingly honest wear to convince me it is likely correct to the vintage of the movement, a 15 jewel. The movement itself has been serviced and regulated and on brief examination, seemed to be keeping time well.

The dial face and crystal, however, seem almost 'too' clean for the approximate era of the 40s. I've included the two pics I was able to get; the face pic is a bit blurrier than i'd like but it actually looks sharper in person, even with magnification.

The seller insists that there have been no cosmetic changes or restoration he's aware of. The inside of the caseback, which I unfortunately couldn't get a pic of, does show several dates from a faint one that looks to be 60s era, one definitely of 1972, and possibly late 80s, which I suspect were service dates.

Anyone willing to lend thoughts/opinions/proper value suggestions is welcome. I love the look of it, and all things being equal don't necessarily object to some restoration of a piece I intend to wear occasionally, but want to get as much info as I can before I try to haggle, if indeed I do.

Thanks!

IMG_0067 (2).jpg JCN_WAT834.jpg
    Edited Nov 10, 2019
  2. larryganz The cable guy Nov 10, 2019

In my opinion, the dial is not original but has been repainted. The movement doesn't look properly secured in the case. Personally I would not buy it.

3. kip595 Nov 10, 2019

I suspected that about the dial repaint, but had hoped to be wrong about the movement security. :/

4. Bumper Nov 10, 2019

@kip595 , can you get better pics of the dial? And the inside of the case back?

That looks like a Ref 2400 - going by the serial number, maybe a 2400-5 or later. Which would make it An Omega Suveran.
    Are you in one of the Nordic countries by any chance? Does the case back look like either of these?
    upload_2019-11-11_13-2-28.png
    upload_2019-11-11_13-3-11.png

They had many dial variations, with 4 or 5 different variations of the bulls-eye alone. A close up photo of the logo & the sub second dial would help determine if it's original or not. From what i can make out from these pics,
    - The sub-second hand does not look original,
    - the movement is not secured to the case, but it's held in place by the spring which is perfectly normal.
    - But, the spring looks to be broken off on either side of the crown? i can see 5 tabs, normally there are 6.
    upload_2019-11-11_13-0-51.png

WatchCor and Benbradstock like this.
  5. kip595 Nov 10, 2019

This is great info, many thanks. Unfortunately the owner (antique shop dealer) was reluctant for even these, so no more images available. Interestingly while your second image is, to my recollection, identical to that on the watch, this is at a shop here in Georgia, U.S.A. I thought the dial was reminiscent of what I've seen referred to as a Suveran a few times before, but assumed it unlikely given my location.

6. Bumper Nov 10, 2019

Well, if the caseback looks like one of my pics, it most likely is a Suveran, the serial number is in the correct range. My eyes aren't good enough to make out any detail on that dial.

kip595 likes this.
  7. kip595 Nov 10, 2019

In your opinion, from what you can see would this be worthwhile as an occasional-wear addition? I've several much higher-end more contemporary pieces, but am trying to sort of ease into the vintage market, especially1940s-1960s.

I appreciate the education guys!

8. Bumper Nov 10, 2019

How much is he asking?

9. kip595 Nov 10, 2019

600 U.S. Which seemed high to me, but again this era is new to me and I know nada about the Suveran.

10. larryganz The cable guy Nov 11, 2019

Well, valuation is not my forte, so I'll hang back now. Beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder.

Bumper likes this.
  11. kip595 Nov 11, 2019

Barring something surprising, I'm inclined away from it. A local friend of mine has offered some info as well that would give me pause, regardless of the watch itself.

Thanks to you guys for the wealth of info, however! This is what makes OF such a great site!

12. mac_omega Nov 11, 2019

Caveat emptor!

This watch has been messed with.

The movement is not correct. The balance has been swapped - it has a much later 4-spoke balance (of cal. 268 or 269) than it should have... balance needs to be a 2-spoked one.

For me an indication that this watch might be a put together piece... buy it only when it is really cheap

felsby, 89-0, Bumper and 2 others like this.
  13. larryganz The cable guy Nov 13, 2019

Yeah, as stated in my 1st post my instinct was to stay away.

kip595 likes this.
  14. kip595 Nov 13, 2019

:)

To quote the great Jack Nicholson:

"What can I tell you, kid? You're right. When you're right, you're right, and you're right." -Chinatown

larryganz and Walrus like this.