Forums Latest Members
  1. cantinker Dec 5, 2015

Hello all,
    I'm looking to buy my grail and would appreciate your advice. I'm very sorry for the photos but they're all that I have for now. Asking price is approximately 1050US. Thanks for any help you can give.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 5, 2015

Welcome cantinker!
    You've come to the right place as there are some serious experts here that can help you find your grail!

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, I'm just a junior collector (3rd year) but here goes.
    First, we need to see the complete movement with serial number and the inside of the caseback to be specific, but I'm going to say 1960ish as the cal. 520 was produced 1957-1959 and the small medallion started in '59.
    The coathanger "S" and the case look like the CK14.701 from 1960 to me but I'd like a confirmation of the dial originality with better pictures as I have doubts.

Regardless, I personally feel this is quite pricey and would have to have great pictures and further confirmation to even formulate a counter-offer.

A $1000 dollar bumper has to be one sweet Mama in my book!

Hopefully, others will join us and I hope you have some fun here!.

Edit. We actually don't need the whole serial number if privacy is a concern, we just need the first three digits and this isn't a bumper but an early full rotor..

Edited Dec 5, 2015
    Giff2577 and efauser like this.
  3. cantinker Dec 5, 2015

Thanks for your insights. I should be getting more photos tomorrow.

Edit: I believe the ref is 1727xxxx

Edited Dec 5, 2015
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 6, 2015

That doesn't look like a reference number so I bet it is the movement serial number.
    The 17,xxx,xxx serial numbers are from 1959 which would fit this perfect.
    Please post those photos when you get them, I'd like others comments on that dial.

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 6, 2015

Quite pricey although this looks like an original example. You should be able to get two of these for that price!

cantinker likes this.
  6. cantinker Dec 6, 2015

Yes. Sorry that is the movement serial number. Ref is 14722.

7. cantinker Dec 6, 2015

Where! Where!

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 6, 2015

Patience and searching. Maybe not two but the price is pretty high for one.

PatrickJ and cantinker like this.
  9. cantinker Dec 6, 2015

Another question. How much would the red Omega box add to the price of the watch?

10. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2015

Close to nothing.

PatrickJ and cantinker like this.
  11. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Dec 6, 2015

12. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Dec 6, 2015

I've been following threads like this one for a while here, and I have a question for you experts. I believe I've seen similar Seamasters of this vintage and condition on ebay for $500-800, but many of you advise against ebay purchases in general, and I can understand why. A legitimate retail dealer selling a just-fully serviced one with a warranty might charge close to if not over $1,000 for something like this, no? It seems like when you talk about values, many of you are talking about the prices at which serious, experienced collectors like yourselves sell to each other online. Many of you have earned that experience with some expensive mistakes. That route has its perils for the ordinary consumer, I think. I also think an honest, legitimate retail dealer can legitimately charge a premium that can be well worth paying. And if we're talking about the more modest watches selling for $1,000 or less, that premium will almost inevitably be a pretty large percentage, right? Just asking. ;-)

13. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2015

...So your question is..?

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 6, 2015

I inferred that mozartman was questioning whether $1050 was actually too much.

15. PatrickJ Dec 6, 2015

Even the experts have got it wrong sometimes in a bricks and mortar dealer or on this forum, it can happen to the best of us. Find what model you specifically like first, do your homework and do not be in a rush. Maybe buy a brand new Omega first to get it out of your system and take a good year or so before you go vintage. You are buying stuff 50 plus years old, its not as easy as finding something asking a few questions and hit the buy it now button. Lord have mercy! Save yourself the grief of being in constant doubt if what you purchased is correct after the purchase.

mozartman likes this.
  16. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 6, 2015

Use eBay as a research tool, and check completed auctions to see what watches actually bring.

Compare and contrast models, and see the differences between orig and franken examples.

Buying on the forums is much safer, as sellers will get called out if they are peddling crap...but you pay for their knowledge.

eBay is great, but only if you are seasoned, as many new collectors fall prey to crappy examples that they think are original and correct.

Take your time, there are literally millions of Omegas out there.

mozartman likes this.
  17. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2015

Ah.

Well, unless service receipts are supplied (preferably not just a slip, but a run-down of the work done) and the service has been done by a known/respected watchmaker, I wouldn't place any value on it...

If you just want a nice-looking watch, don't want to dive into the hobby (spending a lot of time with people like us on the internet) and aren't concerned with resale value and originality, there aren't any good reasons for not buying from a "honest, legitimate" retailer.

For all the rest of us, I guess we'll stick to learning about these pieces by doing research, seeking out the "better" deal and flaunting it here where it'll be appreciated by like-minded people.

mozartman and efauser like this.
  18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 6, 2015

Advice was requested, I preempted my opinion with an explanation of my knowledge base (or lack thereof), I gave what I feel was truthful and sound information and advised to get further information and return.

I agree with all your points mozartman, they are certainly fair, but I feel they are from a retailers point of view.

Collectors at a collectors forum will often give a collectors view when asked.

Many here are willing to help someone find a good example at a reasonable price.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-just-purchased-opinions.19728/

My sincere hope is that cantinker finds something he loves and that serves him well, wherever he may find it..

Happy Holidays!

mozartman, cantinker and Hijak like this.
  19. cantinker Dec 6, 2015

Thanks UncleBuck!
    My main concern with the watch was a possible redial. The rest of the watch seemed (to my inexperienced eye) o.

20. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Dec 6, 2015

Happy holidays right back at you. And of course, I wouldn't have spent the time reading so many threads here if you guys didn't have a lot of good advice to give, so thanks for that. I'm a pretty serious collector of some vintage items (not watches as much as most of you, though I like those too), so I appreciate the value of the serious collector's point of view.

UncleBuck likes this.