Forums Latest Members
  1. LAdyver Dec 20, 2014

This is a vintage watch I bought for my dad to replace the one that was stolen from him. It just came in the mail, so here are the preliminary pictures. Please let me know your thoughts and advice on what should be done. Basic service? Replace band? Polish (I'm thinking no....)? The crystal definitely needs to be replaced. What other parts should I anticipate having to replace? The box and paperwork came with it, the box will be up for sale soon enough. I paid $500 for the watch, box, and original paperwork.

Sonja

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Dec 20, 2014
    Giff2577, TNTwatch and oddboy like this.
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 20, 2014

In my humble and others may slate me for this but give the watch a polish, new crystal and a new strap! Do you think your father would prefer it new and shiny looking rather than something to hold its' value for sale later? You can ask your watchmaker if it needs a service or not.
    I don't think the watch came with that box (it says chonometer n the box insert but not on the watch itself) though the box does look good and I am sure the watch will look great after a tidy up. Well done, I am sure your father will be very proud.

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 20, 2014

Would just do a very light polish on the case and crystal. If I remember it came with 2 sets of paperwork (one belongs to a Constellation), can you post some pics?

4. LAdyver Dec 20, 2014

Yes....here are the pictures of the paperwork. The serial number matches, thankfully!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    alam likes this.
  5. alam Dec 20, 2014

Nice catch! :thumbsup: Yes, a service and as Kyle suggested, a light buff add a nice leather strap! that will basically do the trick to make it a great holiday gift! ….and, if he doesn't like it, just drop me a note here, I have an opening for a vintage Seamaster with a sub dial :D

:coffee:

6. TNTwatch Dec 20, 2014

Doesn't seem to look like the lost one, but may actually be nicer, at least a bit bigger in size. Hands in great condition, no reason to replace. The box is nice and worth something to someone.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 21, 2014

Info from Omega's database:

Seamaster
    Gents' leather strap
    Reference
    CK 2576
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 342 / 344
    Cal. 342
    Created in 1949, 17 jewels
    Cal. 344
    Created in 1953, 17 jewels, COSC
    Functions
    Subsecond
    Case
    Stainless steel
    Case back
    Screw-in
    Dial
    Luminous (radium)
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters

Don't count on water resistance!

LAdyver likes this.
  8. LAdyver Dec 21, 2014

Thanks for the info, Uncle Buck! Yes, definitely not counting on water resistance after the jeweler told us to even be careful when washing hands. He said the $10 cheapo watches have better water resistance than the watches in the 50s. TNT.....thanks to Kyle and Uncle Buck I made the decision to go with a watch that was in much better original condition than my dad's, rather than continue my search for a watch that was exactly like his. No matter what watch I went with, it would never be the same watch that was stolen, so it might as well be different, right? It turns out he didn't put much thought into buying his old watch back in 1955....he was 17 and just went with what the salesman suggested. It had oxidation on the dial after 10 years or so because he wore it everywhere, then he was in a motorcycle accident in the 1960s and cracked the crystal among other things. He took it in for repair and it went in with crosshairs and came out without them, so the dial had been redone. I love the fact that the Seamaster I bought for him has the original paperwork and is in collectible condition. I'm so thankful for this forum.....it enabled me to purchase something that I know very little about without getting scammed. My husband loves the vintage watch, and HIS birthday is coming up next month.....hmmmmmm.......

Mothra, TNTwatch, Mark020 and 3 others like this.
  9. aga79 Dec 21, 2014

great catch...!!!
    Very cheap IMO...

LAdyver likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 21, 2014

Watch looks like a barn find. All original, just needs a little TLC and should be good to go for many years.

The first set of papers match the watch, so they have always been together. If someone has that serial number on their cal. 505 Constellation, that paperwork would add considerable value to that watch.

If this were my watch, I'd spend about $7 on some Polywatch (look it up on eBay) and some q-tip swabs and give the crystal a polish myself. You should be able to remove most of the smaller scratches, and then be able to make a better assessment if the crystal is salvageable.

I'd also recommend replacing that Twist-O-Flex type band with a nice leather watchband. Those endpieces on the metal band tend to grind out the lugs over a long period of time.

I think you've done very well. Hope your Dad enjoys the watch. This is exactly how I got started in this hobby 11 years (and umpteen watches) ago.

Happy Holidays! :)
    gatorcpa

boat2dan and LAdyver like this.
  11. Delbok Nov 17, 2015

Just wanted to share the one I just found in pretty good conditions... It keeps very well the time and looks pretty much original except may be for the hands as one of them is oxidised...
    Serial starts with 13000 and reference is the 2576 - 15... now pictures will be better than words...
    1.JPG
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

tamura likes this.