Forums Latest Members
  1. Ron_Rotterdam Oct 6, 2019

Hi everyone,

I inherited the watch (see pictures) from my grandfather. I searched for some mod information but unfortunately couldn't determine which model it is. Some characteristics:
    - brown leather strap
    - the inscription on the back says my grandfather got is a a gift in 1968
    - winding mechanism
    - no type information

Does anyone know which type this is?
    Can you give me some advice on where to restore this watch (new strap, check the clockwork). I live in the Netherlands, Rotterdam.

Is it worth it to restore a watch like this? I am not willing to sell it, just to see it in relation to the coat of restoration, any idea of the value of a watch like this?

Thank you all in advance!

Ron

IMG_20181216_193455.jpg IMG_20181216_193420.jpg IMG_20181216_193411.jpg IMG_20181216_193405.jpg IMG_20181216_193356.jpg
  2. TexOmega Oct 6, 2019

Monetary value is low, sentimental value is high.

Inside the case back there is information on the reference number for this model. Google the reference number, but I doubt there is a "Model Name" for this entry level Omega.
    It appears to be a "front loader" so a watchmaker will have to assist you in getting to the reference number.

I would bet a restoration would exceed the monetary value.

chronos likes this.
  3. Dan S Oct 6, 2019

These watches do have some monetary value, probably a few hundred euros, but it is very difficult to provide an accurate estimate without much more information. Is the watch gold plated, gold filled, solid gold? What is the case size? What movement is inside? You can look at eBay sold items to get a general idea, but I would encourage you not to worry to much about its value. It's a nice watch, and it has value, but it is not going to make you rich.

More importantly, it has significant sentimental value as an heirloom. This particular example appears to be in good condition, and the quality of Omega hand-winding movements was very good in the 1960s. If you like this watch, and intend to wear it, I certainly think that a movement service, new strap, and crystal polish would be warranted. Find a local independent watchmaker with experience working on vintage watches. Make sure that you tell him not to polish the case at all. If mechanical repairs are needed, he should use correct and authentic parts within the movement. Tell him not to replace or tamper with any other original parts, with the possible exceptions of the crown and crystal, which are likely not original anyway. If the crystal is cracked, it should be replaced. If the damage to the crystal is just superficial scratches, they can be polished out.