Forums Latest Members
  1. gbmrod1 Apr 27, 2015

First post from me in Wales, UK so let me introduce myself first. I'm not a watch collector; just an ordinary Joe who likes to wear a decent, stylish watch. Some years ago, I bought a vintage 18ct Constellation automatic but that only gets an airing on Sundays or special occasions, now I'm looking for an everyday wearer. I'm used to wearing my late father's 9ct gold manual wind from an obscure maker called "Audax" but it's over 50 years old and lately it's given up on me a couple of times so I feel it's time to retire the old boy.

I recently tried a newish De Ville quartz (don't shoot me) which looked lovely but I couldn't believe how light and insubstantial it felt on my wrist. I hardly knew I was wearing a watch at all and that's convinced me to go for something more substantial. However, I have a slim wrist and am not attracted to a massive bezel and case on a diver's watch.

After much scouting around and bearing in mind I'm, not awash with cash, I've come up with 3 options which fit my budget and my wrist. I'd appreciate your opinions as I know there is a great deal of Omega knowledge and expertise on here.

My current favourite is a 1997 steel De Ville chrono with a calibre 861 manual movement accompanied by box and papers. It's available to me from Italy for around US $1400. it's looks like this: De Ville Chrono 861.jpg
    To complicate matters, I've been offered a similar 90's model for around US $1200 but without box/papers and an unworn 2015 (calibre 1861) for US $2100 but that busts my budget.

Second on my list is a 2011 steel De Ville chrono with a calibre 1120 automatic accompanied by box and papers. It's available to me from Italy for around US $1500 and looks like this:

De Ville Crono 1120 Auto.jpg

Thirdly, I have taken a fancy to a 90's 18 carat De Ville chrono with a calibre 652 manual movement but no box or papers. It's available to me from Spain for around US $ 925 and looks like this:
    De Ville Chrono 652 manual.jpg

Now, I'm sure you'll all say that each of these watches are overpriced but to a UK buyer like me who has to pay a 25-30% uplift for tax and duty if buying outside Europe, they all seem like viable options.

Could I ask you gents to give me a steer in the right direction on matters such a best value for money, running costs, reliability, desirability, future value or even just sartorial elegance? If you were me, which would you choose?

Many thanks for your patience with me and the opportunity to pick your brains.

Mike

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 27, 2015

Welcome Mike. They're not all Americans on here - in fact the site is run by Aussies and there are a fair few Brits on here too. I'm from London.

Firstly, let me say "Don't give up on your Dad's watch. It sounds like it is well overdue a service. As to your choices, I have to say that I have a great affinity for the 861 - it is a good work-horse chronograph movement. £1,000 (ish) would be a reasonable price but you will need to get it serviced and that would cost £300 to £400 as long as it doesn't need any expensive parts. So, despite the green strap, that would be my choice, but maybe the one at $1,200 might be a better bet to allow you more for the service. Feel free to post details or send me a PM and I'll give you my opinion.

Geo! likes this.
  3. gbmrod1 Apr 27, 2015

Thanks for the welcome and offer of help Stuart.
    I will never give up on my Dad's old favourite but it's been to the menders a couple of times lately and I feel I need to give the old boy a break. Like you, I'm favouring the first one but it's a tough choice. I may well PM you tomorrow. Thanks for offering to help me decide, I really appreciate it.