Forums Latest Members
  1. GreekOmega Sep 2, 2020

Hi Omega Forum Members,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through here and help in any way you can. I used to be a lurker on this forum and the Speedmaster is the watch that I kind of want to just walk off into the sunset with (or so I tell myself; along with the 20 other random entry-esque watches I have lol).

That being said, I would be very grateful with some advice on this watch I just picked up at a local auction that I frequent. Based on the research I've done and its attributes, I put it between 66-69? I am hoping it is a 105.012. I will put the details below along with the pictures I took.

Dial: Stepped, wide-T (or so I think), Applied Logo, Lume holds for a couple of seconds, not universally dirty.
    Bezel: DON. Looks off-center, not sure if previous owner removed? Looks dirty around crystal as if it hasn't been touched.
    Case: I can't seem to tell the difference between HF and CB lol. Has some nicks and gashes that are only apparent with Macro lens (pic below) but seems like it has never really be polished.
    Caseback: Single step- I tried to carefully remove with my watch tools, but it did not want to budge so I did not want to take chance breaking anything or crystal. Has a couple of scratches like someone possibly tried previously.
    Hands: Has the spear from the 105, not like the 145's.
    Pushers: Missing one (can I buy a time-appropriate cap to just put on there lol?), looks like fat-necks? The one has indent on top. I can measure if anybody really wants.
    Movement: Runs, Winds, but I only wound it one quarter turn just to check; didn't want to damage anything just in case.

So without further adieu, here are the pictures. It looks like it was either worn and loved, or sat in a drawer that got a lot of random scratching? I have ZERO history on it as I purchased it as-is from the auction. It looks in great condition when just glancing at it for the age when you see it with straps, etc below...
    Thank you so much in advance!

First, Cell phone pics on straps:

20200823_202206.jpg 20200823_201511.jpg 20200823_201247.jpg

Okay here are the regular pics from my actual Camera
    Speedmaster-19.jpg Speedmaster-18.jpg Speedmaster-17.jpg Speedmaster-15.jpg Speedmaster-13.jpg

Here are the pics with my Macro (Vintage AF 60mm Nikkor 2.8 for you camera peepz)
    Speedmaster-5.jpg
    Speedmaster-6.jpg Speedmaster-7.jpg Speedmaster-8.jpg Speedmaster-9.jpg Speedmaster-4.jpg Speedmaster-10.jpg Speedmaster-12.jpg
    Gash here looks pretty bad, but if you look at regular pics and in person, you don't even really see it. The dent to its right stands out more.

Thank you again for your time, let me know what you think year-wise without me opening it. Watchmaker RGM isn't too far from me and maybe he'd do me a solid.

All the best!

Edited by a mod Sep 2, 2020
    WatchCor and murph like this.
  2. Dan S Sep 2, 2020

Looks like a nice pickup, but I think it's premature to ask for identification before you show the inside.
    It doesn't appear to have 105.012 pushers or CB facet, so there's no particular reason to guess it's a 105.012 vs. 145.012, especially given the wide-T dial. You will need to open it up.

apsm100 likes this.
  3. GreekOmega Sep 2, 2020

Hi Dan, Thank you very much for the prompt reply to my post, it is much appreciated. I just went and measured the pushers and you may be correct, as they are 3.5mm by 5mm. To the selling comment: We all have to start somewhere in the watch-collecting world and I am not fortunate enough to play with the big boys in terms of price, and I am not trying to be clever to gain interest. I was simply coming as a novice.

4. jaegodylan Sep 2, 2020

Well I don’t reckon Omega would buy it from you.

it’s pretty simple to open the back with a basic cheap case opener. You won’t know much of anything without getting it opened.

5. GreekOmega Sep 2, 2020

Thank you for the reply, it seems that the consensus is to try again to get the caseback open. I have a 3pronger and a 2pronger, both of which would not budge it. I will try to tape it up again tonight and see if I can get it open and see which year and movement. The seal is probably old as dirt and sticking like mud lol

LoMat likes this.
  6. Dan S Sep 2, 2020

In my experience, ADs or Omega Stores don't really care to buy or sell vintage pieces except maybe to lowball you if you are trying to do a trade-in. That's probably not a viable approach.

You don't want to scratch up the back. If it's really stuck, and you don't have all the right equipment to use (case holder, vise, press-style case opener), you might want to have an experienced watchmaker do it for you. Then just have him install the back hand-tight afterwards so you can take good photos at your leisure.

WatchCor likes this.
  7. janice&fred Sep 2, 2020

Yea at this point I think you better wait and get a pro to open it.

GreekOmega likes this.
  8. jaegodylan Sep 2, 2020

It sounds like there may be gremlin squatters inside holding it shut. If you do try again make sure it’s pitch dark in the room so you don’t scare them too much.

apsm100 and GreekOmega like this.
  9. GreekOmega Sep 2, 2020

Thanks again Dan, I appreciate you taking the time to help advise me with this! I will see what I can do and what kind of resources I have near me, especially with Corona..

10. GreekOmega Sep 2, 2020

Hahaha That was pretty good comical relief. They're working over-time (or "under 'time'" in this case, badum-tsss) :D

jaegodylan likes this.
  11. Seaborg Sep 2, 2020

105.012-66 HF or 145.012 :thumbsup:

jaegodylan and GreekOmega like this.
  12. GreekOmega Sep 2, 2020

I appreciate the reply. The pushers almost give it away at the size for 145.012, but here's to hoping it's 105.012 - the anticipation is building for sure haha.

13. jaegodylan Sep 2, 2020

I guess the bigger question is what did you purchase it for and where was the auction? Did it “slip through the cracks”?

GreekOmega likes this.
  14. jaegodylan Sep 2, 2020

Well we all wait with baited breath to see what the Gremlins unleash once the case back is opened and it’s secrets revealed .

15. 1st speedy Sep 2, 2020

Anticipation is killing me.

GreekOmega likes this.
  16. ndgal Sep 2, 2020

This is 145.012-67 in the 26.0XX.XXX serial range from the first or second quarter of 1968.
    Looks like a nice all original example.
    DM me, I have an original pusher for you.

Ascalon, airansun, g-boac and 10 others like this.
  17. 1st speedy Sep 2, 2020

Now that's looking out for someone.

GreekOmega likes this.
  18. ndgal Sep 2, 2020

I would strongly recommend against it.
    You will most likely damage the caseback.
    Take it to a watchmaker who has a table-mounted opener.

19. GreekOmega Sep 2, 2020

Wow, your response is not only very accurate on the watch (I'll post after this reply), but makes me feel very welcome to this forum and all of you being quite a family.

20. apsm100 applysome! Sep 2, 2020

Looks like a seriously nice piece for 4400! Nice purchase.

GreekOmega likes this.