Advice needed: Omega Speedmaster 105.012-66

Fellow OF members,

I came across a very handsome Speedmaster example on another forum and it looks pretty interesting aesthertically. It's a Sub-reference 105.012-66 with a Central Boites case and stunning lume indecies.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg

What's troubling me here, the 26 million serial number appears to be pretty high, as it shouldn't exceed 25,44X,XXX according to Speedmaster101.

4.jpg

The seller claims that some CB documented examples came with some 26M serial number like this sold example by HQ Milton.

No extract comes with the watch.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Stefan.

It looks an attractive example.

However I would always balance the price I am willing to pay, with the probability of the watch being correct.

As I have never seen a confirmed 26m movement in a 105012, so I would be valuing this as a non original movement.

It is entirely possible the movement is from a non speedmaster reference, although I suspect it is most likely from a 145.012.

There is some thought and experience behind that statement.
Edited:

Like 16
The high serial combined with a narrow "T Swiss made T" dial is a bit odd. Late serial with early 105.012 dial, wouldn't bet on this one without Extract.

Like 4
Beautiful watch, if it’s priced to account for a non-original movement and it won’t bug you… certainly could be a nice watch to wear.

As everyone else has said, it priced like an all original watch, walk away.

Like 2
Maybe a stupid question — or unfounded observation — but does that movement seem a bit worked-over for a watch that only looks to have one service mark on the caseback? Some of those screw heads look like they have seen many screwdrivers, or maybe just one that wasn’t very well applied.

That said, the dial, handset, bezel, and case are quite nice. Originality notwithstanding, that’s a good looking watch.

Like 3
A good comparison might be the 105.012-66 (non-CB case) for sale over in the Private Sales section right now. Not as nice, but honest and completely original. (I'm actually surprised it hasn't sold, I would buy it if I had the funds.)

Personally, unless the watch you posted was priced very low, the likely lack of originality would bug me - but to each their own.

Like 3
Maybe a stupid question — or unfounded observation — but does that movement seem a bit worked-over for a watch that only looks to have one service mark on the caseback? Some of those screw heads look like they have seen many screwdrivers, or maybe just one that wasn’t very well applied.

That said, the dial, handset, bezel, and case are quite nice. Originality notwithstanding, that’s a good looking watch.
Excellent observation.

Like 1
The high serial combined with a narrow "T Swiss made T" dial is a bit odd. Late serial with early 105.012 dial, wouldn't bet on this one without Extract.

This.

Like 1
Gents, Thank you so much for your precious observations. You further confirmed my suspicions about the high serial number and no extract. A pity really, seeing the very good condition and nice patina.

@NotJackson 's observation is very interesting. The seller claims it has been bought from the original owner and was serviced only once in 2019. I doubt that one time would put so much wear on the screw heads, operating lever and balance cock in such way. We might be dealing with a non-speedmaster movement in the best case scenario, like @Spacefruit suggested.

I think I'll walk away as the asking price is not cheap, so I'll wait! :)

Thanks again for the help. It is much appreciated!

Best regards,
Stefan.