Forums Latest Members
  1. SweetApple Sep 26, 2020

Hi !

I plan to buy a vintage Omega and I have come across several watches that interest me but I do not know the prices and I am a little afraid of being fooled and paying a lot more for the watch than its price. Here are the watches :
    Omega Seamaster calendar 1954 for 700€

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rudi99, Benbradstock, lindo and 2 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 26, 2020

Not too bad for a freshly serviced watch that looks OK

Date at six bumper is a good start to any collection.

Nothing jumping out as wrong with it.

3. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 26, 2020

Fully serviced with a new Omega strap and a service case. Seems like you would be getting the watch for almost nothing.
    Could be a nice start of your collection.

janice&fred likes this.
  4. arkman Sep 26, 2020

Agree. It looks like a good start to a collection at a reasonable price.

Benbradstock likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2020

Crown is incorrect and I don’t think the band is real. These issues are easily fixed.

The rest of the watch looks nice and the price is fair, especially if serviced by Omega and some of the warranty is left.
    gatorcpa

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 26, 2020

What did I miss on the band? Something obvious?

7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 26, 2020

You are asking all the right questions, but also all the same questions https://omegaforums.net/threads/advice-before-buy-a-vintage-omega.119785/. For what it is worth, I think you will enjoy your eventual purchase more if you have done some deeper researching on your own as well. It would be good to hear your thoughts on a watch. Good luck on your search :thumbsup:

Does the purple second hand confuse anyone else?

Edit, you might enjoy reading a lot of older posts, and all the sticky threads like https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Edited Sep 26, 2020
    Benbradstock likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2020

No. I just don’t think that Omega uses thin fold over leather like that. Usually Omega has some kind of stock number on their leather bands which I don’t see here.
    gatorcpa

Benbradstock likes this.
  9. mac_omega Sep 26, 2020

Gator, I think you are on something here... look at the underside of the buckle... it reads ACIERINOX instead of spaced ACIER INOX and the colour of the buckle is gold! :(

Benbradstock likes this.
  10. seekingseaquest Sep 26, 2020

FYI, the circular brushing on the case back was applied - that wasn’t on it when it was new. Hard to tell from the photos but presumably it’s been polished too.

Do you have a photo of the inside of the case back? It doesn’t look like a normal 2757 case back to me.. the ridge with Seamaster and Waterproof seems too wide, almost like a 2846/2849 case back.

Benbradstock and apsm100 like this.
  11. SweetApple Sep 26, 2020

Yeah honestly this will be my first watch that I have been looking for several months so I prefer to ask instead to be fooled, and despite my research I still have the impression of knowing nothing in view of the different years / calibers from where I came here and my questions.

And i always look here : https://serial-number-decoder.co.uk/omega/omega.htm & https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/buying-a-vintage-omega-advice-for-beginners.722077/ too.

I will ask the seller for a photo of the case back!

DaveK likes this.
  12. apsm100 applysome! Sep 27, 2020

Yeah definite fake Omega strap and buckle (they are on eBay all the time for nothing); not a huge deal as you can swap it out.
    The case finishing alone would make me pass, factory finish on these Seamasters are fantastic.

Edited Sep 27, 2020
    Benbradstock and RonJ like this.
  13. amcclell Sep 27, 2020

If you are getting this watch to wear, it is a nice watch for a decent price. True, a serious collector would not be interested because of the polishing and caseback machining but if the case was untouched it would be priced higher. A serviced bumper movement, even patina on the dial and the 6 o'clock date window make this a nice entry into the vintage market.

Benbradstock likes this.
  14. janice&fred Sep 27, 2020

Hey it's not a watch for everyone but the price is right, it's serviced and the thing has a great look. Old watches have usually been polished. The case back may have had a personalization that was professionally removed. I think it's a great watch to enjoy.

Benbradstock and lindo like this.
  15. Farmer Sep 27, 2020

WOW, purple sweep hand, amazing pick-up, confirms I have much learning left to go yet. Stuffed if I could tell if it was a fake band.

16. SkunkPrince Sep 27, 2020

I have some vintage Omega straps, they didn't put reference numbers on all of them.

17. hockey Sep 28, 2020

I think this is a very reasonable price for a serviced watch of this model.

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 28, 2020

Yes but Omega croc pattern straps are actually croc or alligator. That’s likely stamped cow leather or not leather at all. I too am 90% certain the strap and buckle is an Indian eBay fake.

It’s a cheap watch if it’s had an Omega service but the fake strap would make me wonder what else isn’t what it seems.

Edited Sep 28, 2020
  19. PlainVanilla Sep 28, 2020

I think this watch looks good and is totally wearable.