Forums Latest Members
  1. SkunkPrince Jan 15, 2021

I have read a lot of threads where people have been unhappy about their watches running +10 or whatever.

"Adjusted for wear"

Very common, and some watchmakers won't even charge for it. Keep track of the rate for a couple weeks, and then share the average daily rate with your watchmaker. She can then adjust your watch to keep better time on your wrist.

wilderbeast and cvalue13 like this.
  2. wilderbeast Jan 16, 2021

Yes, I’ve had the timekeeping adjusted on two of my vintage pieces recently. Two different watchmakers, both pieces gaining or losing well over a minute a day.

Neither charged for the work as each had done the previous full service on the respective watch. Both are now within 5 seconds a day. They really are very clever people.

Edited Jan 16, 2021
    kkt likes this.
  3. Professor Jan 17, 2021

I've adjusted several of my watches to make up for wear. Its not easy doing it by guess and by golly, the increments are unbelievably tiny in some cases, but I've managed to bring a few back from minutes per day to less than five seconds per day. and a couple I got down to one or two seconds per week.

PS
    I've heard that gaining time after a service may be due to the use of modern silicone oils.
    In any case I'd suggest that if a watch had been laid aside for months or years and gains a bit more than you are comfortable with use patience. I've found that several of mine that ran more than a minute fast when I first got them began to run better after keeping them wound and running for several weeks or months. If after a couple of months they still run fast then consider adjustments.
    Also a watch may run dead on most of the year but gain or lose time during very hot summers or bitter cold winters. Adjusts during months of temperature extremes could be counter productive.

Edited Jan 17, 2021