Adding Tone Indicators to the Forum

The New York Times has recently enlightened me to something called “tone indicators”. Simply additions to a statement that express the intent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/style/tone-indicators-online.html?referringSource=articleShare

A few examples include:
Serious = /srs
Sarcastic = /s
Joking = /j
Fake = /f
Half-joking = /hj
Not mad = /nm
Inside joke = /ij

I’d like to humbly propose incorporating them into your use on OF, at least when sarcasm or jokes are implied. /srs

Adding intent to the conversational tone of the forum could help millennials do a little less work to understand the subtleties of written language and context. /hj
And might save some misunderstandings too!

I would almost certainly always misinterpret "/f" as "oh f**k"... 😲 😀

Oh man, the day I start having to explain to everyone a subtle inside joke with an /ij 'tone indicator' is the day I think I can better leave my sense of humour at home!

Great idea... now all those f#@king snowflakes will know where we stand and if not they can leave and eat sh#t!

srs/.../j /nm

Oh man, the day I start having to explain to everyone a subtle inside joke with an /ij 'tone indicator' is the day I think I can better leave my sense of humour at home!
Wait, are you joking? Or not? I can't tell...

The New York Times has recently enlightened me to something called “tone indicators”. Simply additions to a statement that express the intent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/style/tone-indicators-online.html?referringSource=articleShare

A few examples include:
Serious = /srs
Sarcastic = /s
Joking = /j
Fake = /f
Half-joking = /hj
Not mad = /nm
Inside joke = /ij

I’d like to humbly propose incorporating them into your use on OF, at least when sarcasm or jokes are implied. /srs

Adding intent to the conversational tone of the forum could help millennials do a little less work to understand the subtleties of written language and context. /hj
And might save some misunderstandings too!

Ad tone indicator to every post? What if I’m in doubt myself 😕

Learn how to f...ing write. Good lord! /SRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We could expand the vocabulary to communicate more efficiently in the WIS world

/aasr = "appalled at sh*tty redial", for example.

/j

😉

Wait a minute does this means cats are no longer used, I can’t keep up with this
#semiserious
#confused
#sarcastic

Jeez you mean the icon selection isn't enough already? We need cryptic groupings of letters now?

Let's just dump language all together and use grunts and keystrokes.

I would almost certainly always misinterpret "/f" as "oh f**k"... 😲 😀

/srs!

Newbies already have trouble decoding the standard acronyms. I suggest continuing to use the emojis. /srs

Newbies already have trouble decoding the standard acronyms. I suggest continuing to use the emojis. /srs
👍

We could expand the vocabulary to communicate more efficiently in the WIS world
😉

/Nhhh = "NOS? ho, ho, ho"