Forums Latest Members

AC's Mystery Watch Thread (DuPont Chronograph)

1. Andrew C May 11, 2021

[​IMG]

Sometimes eBay absolutely sucks - you find a bargain, and it's either a scam, a fake, or just not not in the condition as advertised.

Then sometimes (rarely it seems these days) it just comes through and reminds you of why you waste so many hours on there.

I had one of those such moments today. Casually browsing last week, I found the attached watch listed for about $1,000. In the description I found the seller had purchased it from Antiquorum about three years ago.

Sure enough, it was there on the Antiquorum website, and had sold for 3,000 euros including commission. 3,000 euros sale price, vs. $1,000 asking price. Seemed very weird to me, maybe a little too fishy.

But, and I'll come onto this later, it's by an incredibly obscure maker - so it didn't have the feeling of a scam. Coupled with the fact it was being sold by an account with 500 feedback and a 12 year history - something felt right.

Except, I was feeling a little cheeky. I know - let's lob out a $500 offer on this one. If I get it, it will be a fun research project. Offer was straight up accepted.

In person, this watch is absolutely magnificent. The lugs are insane - you could cut someone with them. I'm very confident this one has barely seen a polish over the years. It's keeping excellent time, and the chrono works perfectly.

Now to the mystery! Who in the heck is the manufacturer. I've been searching for the last week, and literally can find only a couple of other watches by DuPont out there.

Obviously S.T. Dupont is a very reknowned luxury goods manufacturer, but from what I can tell, a watch by them would be signed S.T. Dupont and not just DuPont.

I have yet to have the case back removed yet (it's still got the Antiquorum sticker on), but the details below were provided on the Antiquorum website.

Brand Dupont

Reference 2718

Year Circa 1950

Calibre  13’’’ 1/2

Dimensions 38 mm

Signature Dial, Case and Movement.

https://catalog.antiquorum.swiss/en/lots/dupont-ref-2718-lot-321-632?browse_all=1&page=1&q=dupont

Any ideas???

[​IMG]

2. Vitezi May 11, 2021

Dupont was a microbrand, one of many 'flash in the pan' watch brands that came and went in the 1940s and 50s. Mikrolisk records it as a wordmark owned by Den-Ro Import Corporation, a New York-based watch importer (registered in July 1953). Den-Ro used its own name on time-only watches, but I've only ever seen the Dupont brand on chronographs. Your watch was likely made in Switzerland but only sold in the US market.

3. Andrew C May 13, 2021

Thanks for the info, Sir!

Gives me somewhere else to dig. It’s a remarkably well put together Chrono.

4. JwRosenthal May 14, 2021

For a chrono like this, the PO got hosed. You on the other hand, got a very nice watch for a very nice price.

Andrew C and wagudc like this.
  5. Manigoldo Jan 27, 2023

Hi
    sorry late on the party, but this week i bought on ebay this nice DUPONT EXTRA, after some regulation keep good time despite the condition .
    33mm case w/O crown. not sure about the movement ( see pic )

Screenshot 2023-01-27 alle 17.06.42.png Screenshot 2023-01-27 alle 17.20.07.png
    Vitezi likes this.