Forums Latest Members

A386 On Ebay: Always Worthy Of A New Thread

1. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 3, 2013

This just posted:

California A386Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Did someone lose a Super Bowl bet?

Not pristine. Subdial hands are wonky. Needs some repairs. Not really worth $8500... yet.
    But hey, it's an A386, so on this forum it's news.

Case # 923D236 with NATO star; in the LouS scheme this is a Type C, late production series (like mine).

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 3, 2013

Ouch... That's a lot of money

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 3, 2013

He says in the description he will sell it to whoever makes the highest offer; he's just putting a pie-in-the-sky number up there because, why not? Someone might actually pay it. I see the logic. I think this will go around $4k, as it's a bit grotty, not 100% complete, and needs repairs.

4. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2013

What parts do you notice are necessary?

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 4, 2013

One question, mine as a plain caseback. Is it due to different production runs?

6. dxbzenith Feb 4, 2013

I do not have a concern buying a piece needing repair.

It appears watch leaked; area around the crown / buttons is dirty / rusty and the 2 and 4 'o clock lumens are in significantly worse condition compared to the others?

What's the forum's opinion on how well one can clean / restore dial, hands and case without replacing them with new parts?
    Would it be possible to get this into a cosmetically mint condition?

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 4, 2013

Should have said not 100% correct. It's got all its furnishings but the subdial hands - at least the seconds and minute subdials - are wrong. Also, seller says winding stem is broken, with a piece left in the crown, so it might take some delicate work to salvage the crown. Nothing irreplaceable, but definitely some work to be done.

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 4, 2013

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 4, 2013

Gavin, I've reproduced the post in all its tedious detail and added the followup post here: http://omegaforums.net/threads/of-a-386-casebacks-and-forgeries.3651/#post-41961

Bottom line: you're OK with the plain caseback. I am not near my database now, but I seem to remember running your case number against it after you received the watch and it raised no flags.

Very good pickup on the 2 & 4 lume, but the dial looks sound as is otherwise. The movement does not appear to be rusty. As for the subdial hands, you may have no recourse but to replace with new as originals come to market very rarely and I know of no one sitting on spare stock.

Respectfully disagree here - I think only the running seconds subdial is incorrect. I think you are spot on about the rest. Overall, not a bad example, but not nearly worth what is being asked. I'd say $4000 - maybe a smidge higher since these are on the upswing - is about right.

Ash's prediction that more of these will shake out of the woodwork as prices rise is being validated here....

10. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 4, 2013

Thanks Lou. I have also opened up the caseback and it is a Type B middle production as you have mentioned.
    20130203_004337.jpg

11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 4, 2013

On further review... you are correct sir.

12. dxbzenith Feb 5, 2013

Bidding has started, don't want again be guilty putting a forum member to the max therewith risking his mortgage payment. Please pm me in case anyone has intentions to go after this one.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

You're unlikely to do that, since it's a Buy It Now with concealed offers, and anyone who buys it for the ask is a little daft. By all means, have at it.

14. dxbzenith Feb 5, 2013

One can send three subsequent 'best offers' and seller can trade-up bidders against each other that way. Still feel bad for what happened last week to MMMD last week and thought better be safe than sorry again....

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

Fair enough and what you say is true if the seller is savvy. Good luck! What's you plan for the subdial hands.

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

Gone!...anyone here?

(and don't it bug ya that Ebay won't let us see the "Best Offer Accepted" prices anymore?)

17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 5, 2013

I appreciate the heads-up. Did you get it?
    Don't worry about me... I'm feeling better about that G381 every day. :)

18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 5, 2013

Will be nice to know what it eventually sold for.

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

It may have been reasonably close to his asking for him to end the auction and accept an offer this early. Don't quite understand why ebay wouldn't reveal what the final price is when the regular auctions have the final price there for all to see.

20. everestx Feb 6, 2013

My first post here thanks to MMMD referring me to the forum as I bid against him during the lightning G381 sweepstakes..;)

The eBay best offer pricing has changed but you can still figure out the final price with a little searching. I looked on my iPhone and it showed the final price for the A386 that sold yesterday. You can search the completed listings on your desk/laptop and add enough similar items - ie Zenith El Primero watch as your basic search. The results will still show the best offer asking price but will sort it by price even showing the best offer asking price. So the A386 from yesterday will show a $8,500 price sandwiched between another Zenith watch selling at $4,700 and $4,500. The more items in your search results will narrow it down further.

I guess eBay hasn't changed the mobile application for the smartphones yet because mine showed the price of $4,600 for the A386 right off the bat.

Here's a couple of pics to show what the search will look like.

eBay Best Offer Screens (1).jpg eBay Best Offer Screens.jpg