A Speedmaster Restored

Last autumn I concluded a long negotiation for a one owner watch, that had lain unused for some time. There was considerable baked on dirt:

Joe 1.jpg
This photo was the one I took once it arrived to me - and the reason I ended up paying the owner more than we agreed initially, as the colour of the flawless dial was not apparent in his pictures.

It came with a 1039 bracelet. This bracelet had some issues, and it is still with the watchmaker being restored.

joe bracelet.jpg

Here we see the back - the danger with these cruddy private watches is corrosion.

jow back.jpg

Let's see under the back: joe dust.jpg

Original dust cover, and crud everywhere. Gasket is just mud.

The movement looks untouched:

joe move.jpg

Here is the inner case back, which shows no pearlage or watchmakers marks.

joe case back.jpg

Here are a couple more shots during the process:

joe case clean.jpg

The case does show some decay, once dismantled and cleaned, but less than I was expecting

Joe mv decased.jpg
The dial is one of the best I know of.

Under the bezel is absolutely awful:

joe under bezel.jpg

Finally, a couple more shots pre-work. The sides look fantastic:

joe slant 2.jpg

The crystal is heavily marked

joe slant 1.jpg

So I spent a long time on this. I quickly realised the watch is so good that it might knock out one of my permanent collection, so I was excited to get going. Obviously, the untouched movement was serviced. I replaced the crystal and crown with vintage ones in better condition - the pushers were cleaned.

Here is the result:
1-2024-07-14 16-49-46 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg

Finally, the watch is not going to knock out the brown 69 from my collection. Why? Because about a month ago, the owner contacted me. Initially, he wanted to buy a vintage speedmaster for his son, and that he regretted selling his. I said why not have your watch back? So he paid the restoration costs and once the bracelet is back it will be headed back to him.
1-2024-07-14 17-48-48 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg

Oh I forgot.

Its a full set

1-img_002.jpg

Wonderful result! While I imagine it's a bit bittersweet that you won't be keeping the watch after all, it's a wonderful story. I'm sure the original owner will be very pleased to receive it back in this great restored condition.

Lovely story, great stuff letting it reunite with the family !

Incredible find…stunning dial and handset. Very gracious of you to sell it back to the original owner; kudos!

Very nice watch and a very nice gesture

I am wowed by your kindness to sell it back to the owner for cost + resto. You could have profited but you chose to do what’s not just honorable but very kind. Not something we see in this hobby often, not to mention the world at large.
Thanks for sharing not just a fun project but an act of kindness.

Now let’s hope his son appreciates it and doesn’t trade it for a palm fronds Rolex.

Great story with a beautiful watch! Very nice gesture 👍

Don't forget to tell the son you have dibs!

Looks stunning. That dial.

And good for you selling it back at cost. Very decent gesture

Extraordinary watch and an extraordinary gesture. Hopefully the father and son understand what they have!

I'm amazed that the dial and movement were in such great condition given that the seal was so deteriorated. Great story and happy ending for all. Thank you for sharing.

I watch this watch on your Youtube channel, and it looked very promising!
You where a bit worried about all the dirt and grime, and that it might have damaged the case/bezel etc.
But fortunately it turned out to be an amazing watch!
And what a grand gesture to return the watch to the original owner.

Congrats to you and the original owner!