A sign of the times.

Smart phones. Was on a few subways/trains recently and literally everyone was on their phone. Me too, but I had the Google maps going as I was a visitor trying not to get lost. In any case, quite sad to see this. Made me more cognizant about keeping my phone out of site when in public.

it's only a matter of time until we have metric time. I mean, how are we going to expand into the rest of the solar system and beyond with an antiquated notion of time based on arbitrary stuff like how quickly the planet rotates? base 60? what's that?! If you think about it, measures of time are already metric above 1 year, and below 1 second. year, decade, centrury, millenium. second, millisecond, nanosecond, etc.

it's only a matter of time until we have metric time. I mean, how are we going to expand into the rest of the solar system and beyond with an antiquated notion of time based on arbitrary stuff like how quickly the planet rotates? base 60? what's that?! If you think about it, measures of time are already metric above 1 year, and below 1 second. year, decade, centrury, millenium. second, millisecond, nanosecond, etc.

Feel free to read this until your brain melts 😲

I now know that a picosecond = the half life of a bottom quark (stop sniggering at the back) 😁
Edited:

This kind of talk is too much to process on a Friday 😕 I’m getting a Beer!

For the lolz, pinged half a dozen primary school teachers I know about this , on a Friday night, for the lolz, they still support this. No one heard of an edict to go digital.

Smart phones. Was on a few subways/trains recently and literally everyone was on their phone. Me too, but I had the Google maps going as I was a visitor trying not to get lost. In any case, quite sad to see this. Made me more cognizant about keeping my phone out of site when in public.
“Smart Phones” make us dumb! My truck is my office, and I rely heavily on my GPS daily! That said, I make a conscious effort to read road signs, and look for landmarks as much as possible to keep the old school skills sharp! How many of you actually memorize phone numbers anymore? Not I 😗

With the amount of pointless exams kids in the UK have to do, they should only do them when a sundial works at midnight.

The French tried it. Following their revolution, they were convinced everything would be better if measured in base 10. The whole experiment vanished in less than a decade. Though someone mentioned to me they have a watch they're interested in selling that "only goes up to 10" ... could be interesting.

That may happen in space. On Earth it would be harder. Probably require that we move to decimal equivalents for degrees of a circle, & stop using Knots & nautical miles in navigation.
This will all be easier in a digital world, where you just reprogram devices rather than redrawing charts & books.

everything would be better if measured in base 10
Get futureproofed with a Gallet Decimal!
gallet_multichron_decimal_horton_300.jpg

I was on a business trip to some of our plants in Thailand and China.

While walking through the plant near Shanghai, we walked past a break area where about 50 employees were sitting close together on benches. Each and every one of them was busy on their mobile device and I could not see any signs of direct person-to-person communication. It was very strange... yet ‘normal’ now I guess.
Edited:

Time measured in 10s? World wide? Not for a long time yet. The US still measures distances in the old imperial system while the rest of the world left that long behind.😉
What is that going to do to GMT watches?🤔