A sign of the times.

it's only a matter of time until we have metric time. I mean, how are we going to expand into the rest of the solar system and beyond with an antiquated notion of time based on arbitrary stuff like how quickly the planet rotates? base 60? what's that?! If you think about it, measures of time are already metric above 1 year, and below 1 second. year, decade, centrury, millenium. second, millisecond, nanosecond, etc.
Swatch always innovative https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

upload_2018-4-27_21-3-6.png

it's only a matter of time until we have metric time. I mean, how are we going to expand into the rest of the solar system and beyond with an antiquated notion of time based on arbitrary stuff like how quickly the planet rotates? base 60? what's that?! If you think about it, measures of time are already metric above 1 year, and below 1 second. year, decade, centrury, millenium. second, millisecond, nanosecond, etc.
I’ve always thought about this!

I gave my 21 year old nephew an omega f300 after he told me he wanted to get a "proper" watch. I had to show him how to tell the time with it. He does wear it everyday and sends me pictures of him wearing it now and again to prove it. Bloody kids, know nothing these days😀

Though someone mentioned to me they have a watch they're interested in selling that "only goes up to 10" ... could be interesting.

If it goes to eleven, snap it up. That's one louder!

There is a video on Ablogtowatch.com on how Ariel Adams started getting interested in watches when he was younger. He couldn't read the time from a clock face either and that was in the late 90s, IIRC 😵‍💫

Apparently some kids can't read the time on an analogue dial anymore. Some schools in the UK are removing them as it adds to the stress of exams, trying to figure out the time left. Gripping pencils and pens is also becoming harder for the younger generation due to tablets and phones.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/s...g-clocks-because-students-cant-tell-time.html

Where will it end?

I find it rather odd that "educators" would decide to change the clocks rather teach the students how to read the existing clocks.

I know that when I was in the early years of primary school, it was part of the curriculum to learn reading a clock or watch...I already knew but there were some kids that hadn't been taught yet.

Different world...they are all special and deserve a trophy...and will one day lead the world...

I find it rather odd that "educators" would decide to change the clocks rather teach the students how to read the existing clocks.

I know that when I was in the early years of primary school, it was part of the curriculum to learn reading a clock or watch...I already knew but there were some kids that hadn't been taught yet.

Different world...they are all special and deserve a trophy...and will one day lead the world...

It’s probably not on a multiple choice, standardized test.

While walking through the plant near Shanghai, we walked past a break area where about 50 employees were sitting close together on benches. Each and every one of them was busy on their mobile device and I could not see any signs of direct person-to-person communication. It was very strange... yet ‘normal’ now I guess.

Yes, I was in China last month and it was so very noticeable there. Pretty much any place people can sit, you can count on most all having their cell phone in their face.

But on a brighter note, in Beijing they had like 4 OB within walking distance. So I'd go in and ask if I could buy the snoopy watch. The language barrier was pretty steep but they understood snoopy. No snoopy, sold out.

I've noticed a marked decrease in sales of my buggy whips. They're nice buggy whips, too.

I agree this whole thread should be how all the journalists have been layed of by the newspaper companies and this is the rubbish we read as news now.

How many of these kids can read, millennial this and that stories do we have to put up with. so what are all the kindergarten teachers teaching.

Remember all the kids couldn't tie shoelaces stories when shoes went through a phase of Velcro and dials for a year or two. ( how long did that last )

Fake news stories 😉

My daughters, in grades 2 and SK, are learning analog clocks. They come home with these little cardboard clocks with hands you can move around the face. We practice all the time .

My daughters, in grades 2 and SK, are learning analog clocks. They come home with these little cardboard clocks with hands you can move around the face. We practice all the time .
Are their classmates impressed by the additional 3 subdials on your daughters clocks along with Chrono hand? 😉

Are their classmates impressed by the additional 3 subdials on your daughters clocks along with Chrono hand? 😉

It’s the moon phase that wows.

they only get to take the speedies in when it's their turn for show and tell.. 😁

they only get to take the speedies in when it's their turn for show and tell.. 😁
They’ll all be lost when they bring the gold skeletized version...

You know it was boomers who started the participation trophy thing for their kids, right? Elementary schools full of millennials didn't exactly rise up and demand them....

When I was in Junior High School (6-8th grades) and part of High School there was still corporal punishment. Male teachers kept wooden paddles at the ready for dealing with any malfeasance that may arise. Female teachers would send you to the Vice Principals (male) office for your punishment. Ironically the most common cause for punishment/paddling was fighting.
paddle.jpg
Anyone have similar experiences? or did I attend the only S&M public school in California.

Not in public school, but at home. Very similar paddle, but plywood and with drill holes to help increase velocity. And no fancy paint job.

Pfft - wimps. In the dim and distant past when I was being schooled in Scotland, the tawse was the disciplinary instrument of last resort. Sort of a thick leather cat o' two tails. It left a very distinctive mark on your hands 😲

Tawse.jpg