Forums Latest Members

A REALLY REMARKABLE OMEGA SEAMASTER STORY.

1. L.E.M. Jan 3, 2020

SEAMASTER1969.JPG A REALLY REMARKABLE OMEGA SEAMASTER STORY :

S E A M A S T E R.......what's in the name .....Read this:

The watch in the picture, taken today, January 3, 2020, I already have from 1969, so 51 years now. Unfortunately, I lost the original steel band during a move.

But now this and why it is a special watch for me: In 1972 I made a swim in the sea of about 2 kilometers in the Caribbean Sea in Curacao a few times a week. That means: about 1 km into the sea and then back. On one of those trips a 22 mm pushpin broke off the watch strap and I lost the watch without any idea where that could have happened. You don't feel that in water and while swimming. Read carefully what happened next; I lived in The Netherlands after that. But at the end of 1973 I came back to that bay and again into the Caribbean Sea. I always swam with flippers, even to protect my feet against sharp things. When I came back after about 1.5 hours and took off my flippers in 1.30 deep water, I put my right foot back on the sand ..... and immediately ON my watch ... !!!!

That chance is not only astronomically small, but consider how many people will be swimming there in a year and a half. Not possible even to calculate numbers but be sure you can compare that with Milimeters in 100 Lightyears.

Now that I write it down, after soo many years, I am so impressed again. At the time nobody believed me except the people in my area knew it had to be true because how else could I have it back?

There was nothing wrong with the watch except the glass that had become an opaque after 1.5 years of sanding. That has therefore been replaced.

At the back of the watch I engraved my name myself in 1970 so that I am sure it is my watch and, moreover, it was already a rare model at the time that certainly did not fill the beaches. It has never been overhauled and is still in use and deviates less than 1 minute per month. -see picture-

Whoever has a steel strap for this watch can contact me

Edited Jan 3, 2020
  2. YY77 Jan 3, 2020

No pictures attached!

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 3, 2020

The Dutch have been claiming land from the sea for years, now we know that they are just looking for their watches.

loniscup, Longbow, Rumar89 and 16 others like this.
  4. L.E.M. Jan 3, 2020

No idea why but the picture is the same as the avatar picture.
    grts

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 3, 2020

Click add photos, then a little further down, click attach photos

6. L.E.M. Jan 3, 2020

done, thx grts

7. mzinski Jan 3, 2020

WOW! That is simply unbelievable!

8. L.E.M. Jan 3, 2020

Indeed, it is...but it really happened and with THIS watch.

kkt likes this.
  9. mzinski Jan 3, 2020

I meant that as admiration and excitement. It's a great story, a a great watch, and such a wonderful outcome.

DaveK likes this.
  10. L.E.M. Jan 3, 2020

Thx, after all thise years I can never watch the time without remembering its 1.5 year long dive in the Caribbean Sea. -My Sea Master-

Vitezi and DaveK like this.
  11. Braindrain Jan 3, 2020

Great story, indeed! If you pass the watch down, I'm sure that story will also be easily remembered.

DaveK likes this.
  12. L.E.M. Jan 3, 2020

I guess the chance to get a meteorite on your head is more realistic. All the variables in this case made it something to realise what life really is.
    My son, hat has the same name, will often look at it indeed in moments he need to take a chance. -Nothing is unthinkable=the message-

13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 3, 2020

Wow, that is very cool. And a roulette soccer Seamaster -- one of my grails!

14. murph Jan 3, 2020

Magic! Thanks for sharing your extraordinary story. You never know when, your gonna have a good time

15. Shabbaz Jan 3, 2020

Just for this story.... dibs! :D

aap likes this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 3, 2020

Wow! Great story and a nice watch.

I know of another member who also has a beautiful soccer timer and also spends many hours swimming in the same waters (Bonaire, not Curaçao).

Although I don't think he wears his soccer timer when he's swimming.

What do you wear @UncleBuck?

UncleBuck likes this.
  17. larryganz The cable guy Jan 3, 2020

Are we sure Uncle Buck doesn't go Buck naked?

18. vicsdca Jan 3, 2020

The odds of finding your watch back were the same as winning the lottery. I can understand why you stuck with it for 50 years. It must be your good luck charm.

kkt and Hell’s Teeth like this.
  19. L.E.M. Jan 3, 2020

I just read here for the first time what the name is for this watch; I had no idea. For me it was a Seamaster and I find the bezel handy while travelling in other timezones. I always wear it no matter what am doing. Swimming, revising the engine form my vintage UK cars or taking a large tree down. I had no idea it still kept some value as well. At age 66 now I would still like to find the original steel strap for sale somewhere.

20. Lotus_Eater8815 Jan 3, 2020

I bet somebody did find it, wore it for a year and lost it in the same way, only to be picked up again by you, the original owner. :coffee: