Forums Latest Members

A quick "How To" for members who are selling watches.

1. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2018

Let me give some advice for a few of our newer members who currently have listings on the Sales Forum.

If you want to sell your watch, you should have an accurate description, several good pictures, and proof of a decent reputation helps. However, there's one thing that makes or breaks your sale:

A REASONABLE ASKING PRICE!!!!!

Seriously, some of the prices I've seen are RIDICULOUS. I just listed a 14k Longines, without even knowing for sure what caliber was inside (which means no movement pictures), and it sold within a day. Wanna know why? I DIDN'T ASK SOME INSANE PRICE. Imagine that - a realistic value resulting in a sale at the asking price! Go figure!

Now, don't make me link to the listings and embarrass the particular members - but have a look for yourself at the first couple pages and you'll figure out who I mean.

Opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Omega Forums' management. We now return you to your normal gawking and debating over watches.

*If this persists, I'm going to list my Seiko Pepsi for $25,000.

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 13, 2018

Let me be the first to offer $1 for that Pepsi.

Jerseyhammer, dougiedude, aap and 4 others like this.
  3. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 13, 2018

It's an ask whatever you want sort of pricing these days...

Lonestar, Cad290 and ulackfocus like this.
  4. Dan S Jun 13, 2018

Would it narrow things down to look at still-active FS posts that were originally posted in May?

5. AnotherDon Jun 13, 2018

Sorry you don't like my asking price, but it's my watch and my price. If that doesn't meet your preconceived notion of what the number should be, then so be it. Or you can PM or email me an offer. Otherwise, just push your buggy on down the aisle and look at something else.

Besides, I didn't really want to sale. I just needed a listing to prove to the wifely-unit that I was trying to reduce the aggregation. ;)

EatMan, bonerp, Paedipod and 3 others like this.
  6. cristos71 Jun 13, 2018

You'd think by the 15000th view and hundredth bump they'd get the message... but no...the price is right, it's the buyers that are wrong!

7. Dan S Jun 13, 2018

image.png
  8. Just Livin Jun 13, 2018

Oh go on. Please do....

9. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2018

Believe me, I'm tempted. :D

Yeah, yeah.... we had that already. Event Horizon earned part of his custom avatar message because of this FS thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/reluctant-sale-speedy-triple-date.23251/#post-253493

Hell, I've even done a semi-faux FS listing:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1969-audemars-piguet-18k-classique-ultra-thin-caliber-2003.51237/

Using my own $1 offer against me, eh? Nicely played.

:p :p :p :p

MMMD, sdre, Just Livin and 1 other person like this.
  10. Buck2466 Jun 13, 2018

I have said this before and I'll say it again (sounds like Dennis), The ONLY reason something doesn't sell whether it be a house, car, boat, or watch....is it is overpriced, PERIOD! If it is priced right it will sell. I think people in general see something that is way overpriced and immediately think there is no way to bargain it down to reality, so they just give it a pass. You see watches on here all the time that start off with a price and it just sits there. Then the price drops start and keep going and going down until the watch finally sells because now it is at a price that someone feels is justifiable to buy.

sat968, merchandiser, sdre and 2 others like this.
  11. Tik-Tok of Oz Jun 13, 2018

Ill add, as a newbie who just sold an item, if you research asking prices and come up with a reasonable average starting price you can come to a fair agreement quickly.

@ulackfocus ill offer $2 for the Pepsi Seiko :D

ulackfocus likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2018

Okay, here's a hint about two of the listings (one picture per listing):

Frankenstein.png

.....and....

Cousteau.png

13. Just Livin Jun 13, 2018

MMMMM a put together....and an old deep sea diver......MMMMM......Am thinking, am sinking, am thinking...

14. wsfarrell Jun 13, 2018

Glad someone with thick skin decided to post this. Of 49 listings on the first Private Sales page, 6 contain the word "reduced" (and no, I'm not counting the 3510). As I've noted before, it really makes me chuckle to see listings like

Price is $3,599 net to me, buyer pays fees. [That is, the seller won't settle for a penny less than $3,599.]

A few days later it's

Reduced to $3,199, net to me, buyer pays fees. [But wait! That's $400 less!]

And so forth.......

KingCrouchy, kov, sdre and 3 others like this.
  15. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 13, 2018

@ulackfocus :

upload_2018-6-13_14-4-41.png

I liked your old avatar much better. Somehow, that squirrel captured your OF persona. Maybe we need to take a poll and force the squirrel back on you. After that, we can address the inflated pricing in some of the ads. ;)

16. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 13, 2018

Oh, I almost forgot...

D3C11AC5-DA28-4B4E-975D-D883ED4334CE.jpeg

@ulackfocus : you ARE loved here!

Nathan1967, shishy and ulackfocus like this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Jun 13, 2018

How many times do we need to have the discussion about what those words mean, on a forum with international members working in different currencies?

Syrte, Kmart, George.A and 10 others like this.
  18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 13, 2018

Sellers set the sale price and terms . Market decides if it's set right or not. No problem.

Now daily bumps for months on end for a watch that is clearly not priced well? That can get annoying.

19. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2018

I'm about to switch back. I was going to take a break for a few days or so as the Longines I just sold was shipping down under, but I noticed it's already in Australia.

.... and yes, that squirrel with 'tood certainly was perfect in conjunction with the custom avatar message. I flirted with this:

YTtM?.png

using "You talkin' to me?" as the message, in an homage to Taxi Driver.

YouTalkinToMe?.png

It was close, but the "What're you lookin' at?" won.

Edited Jun 13, 2018
    lando, merchandiser and airansun like this.
  20. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 13, 2018

Honestly, that squirrel avatar was much more threatening (in your face) than De Niro’s Taxi Driver — and that’s saying something.

merchandiser and ulackfocus like this.