Forums Latest Members

A question about Zaratsu durability…

1. gyromiterob Jul 29, 2021

Hi all, got my first Grand Seiko a couple of months ago which features a lot of Zaratsu polishing. Sadly, I have already gotten 4 or so micro-dings and scratches around the bezel. And it’s not my only watch - so I may wear it once a week. I don’t think I’m necessarily hard on watches, but was surprised at how seemingly fragile it is. Is this what I should expect? Is it possible to polish out the dings/scratches? Any input is appreciated! Cheers

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 29, 2021

With the correct grade of fine polish I'm sure a professional could help your watch.

Scratches are part of enjoying a watch though so it'd be better not to be too concerned.

Could you post a photo showing the detail?

gyromiterob likes this.
  3. WestCoastTime Jul 29, 2021

There's nothing special about GS's 316L stainless that makes it any more or any less scratch resistant than any other application of the same material.

The high degree of uniformity inherent to Zaratsu polishing might make normal wear marks more noticeable compared to satin or brushed finishing, but that's really more of a feature than a bug.

Any steel can be polished, just a question of finding a watchmaker or jeweler experienced with restoring Zaratsu finishing.

apsm100, gyromiterob and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. gyromiterob Jul 29, 2021

Thank you for the responses. Yes, it is the shiniest watch that I own so perhaps not used to scratches standing out so much. Completely understand that wear and tear is normal but was just surprised to see it so soon - maybe I've worn it for a total of 20 days. I'd hate to see what it looks like in a year. Again, these are very small but I guess they just stand out much more with this finishing. Thanks again for the help!

IMG_2124.jpg IMG_2122.jpg IMG_2120.jpg
  5. alex_b Jul 29, 2021

I've not noticed that my GS attracts any more dings or scratches than my other watches. Mine does have a box saphire which I suspect reduces the likelihood of the bezel getting caught by something.

gyromiterob likes this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 29, 2021

With irs black dial that's an attractive watch gyromiterob.

7. gyromiterob Jul 29, 2021

Ha ha - that goes to show my poor photo taking ability - it actually has a deep blue dial. But thanks!

SBGH281G.png
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 29, 2021

Naah. That's just my poor observation ability.

Even nicer looking in blue.

gyromiterob likes this.
  9. Rado63 Jul 29, 2021

Sad to hear about the scratches on that watch. All I can say is that the more polished surfaces on a watch , the more you will notice any scratch or ding when it happens. Watches that I own that are more polished don't get worn to work, and when I do were them I am really mindful of my arm movements, resting on a surface, and walking through door ways.

gyromiterob likes this.
  10. Premaster Jul 30, 2021

Buy a Globemaster with a Tungsten bezel :)
    Joke aside. My Aqua Terras had these scratches after one week wearing it too. That is normal, no matter what kind of Samurai-Ninjatemple-polish was applied.

gyromiterob and Paedipod like this.
  11. timoss Jul 31, 2021

Maybe it’s the photos, but to me the level of scratch on the op’s watch based on how much it has been worn is a bit surprising. It’s true that polished surfaces will show scratches more easily, but at least two of those look pretty deep. I have a Rolex that I have had for over 12 years and worn on construction sites that I don’t think has scratched that deep. Again, maybe it’s the photos but…

Very nice looking watch, btw!

gyromiterob likes this.
  12. Canuck Jul 31, 2021

Perhaps stop wearing it? I know of no other solution.

gyromiterob and Vercingetorix like this.
  13. Dan S Aug 1, 2021

Some people are apparently not as careful as others.

gyromiterob likes this.
  14. rfcs Aug 1, 2021

I own a Grand Seiko SBGW231 and don’t wear it often. I scratched one lug lightly the day I received it from trying to install the strap. Zaratzu polishing in these watches is a scratch magnet. Don’t try to polish the bezel yourself because it will remove the shine which is the essence of the method. They will be re polished when serviced by Grand Seiko at the 4 yr interval.

gyromiterob likes this.